News   Jul 18, 2024
 891     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 798     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 584     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

If they do, they will not redirect the funds to accessibility, or any other transit project. The City Council will simply cancel the property surtax.

Grasping at straws much?

Indeed. Absolutely disgraceful lies from Olivia Chow.

So, what's Goldkind's transit plan?

They won't.

Lies or exaggeration. You decide.

Lies or exaggeration. You decide.
if one cent of money from the Scarborough subway had come from accessibility money, then perhaps it would be an exaggeration. I have to agree with John Tory here. Chow's claim is ridiculous. Even if only an exaggeration, it's utterly unnecessary. You can attack the province for not funding accessibility while at the same time providing $35 billion for transit without such mistruths.

This is the same Olivia willing to raise taxes to fund lunch programs. But no tax increase for transit.

I'd vote for any candidate willing to raise taxes for transit. Even Doug Ford if he proposed that sincerely!

This is the same Olivia willing to raise taxes to fund lunch programs. But no tax increase for transit.

Not true. I guess you didn't hear about the land transfer tax increase, which will yield around $20 M per year. Part of it will cover the capital cost for a new bus garage, new buses, and DRL engineering work. It's not much, but at least she's not pretending that TIF is the way to go.

Not true. I guess you didn't hear about the land transfer tax increase, which will yield around $20 M per year. Part of it will cover the capital cost for a new bus garage, new buses, and DRL engineering work. It's not much, but at least she's not pretending that TIF is the way to go.
Her numbers are way too low.

TTC operating budget is about $1.5 billion a year (I say without fact-checking). A $0.05 fare increase raises about $30 million. The new money she proposes is a rounding error, and does nothing.

It's absolutely disgraceful. Why is she proposing so little to fix transit in this city?

Her numbers are way too low.

TTC operating budget is about $1.5 billion a year (I say without fact-checking). A $0.05 fare increase raises about $30 million. The new money she proposes is a rounding error, and does nothing.

It's absolutely disgraceful. Why is she proposing so little to fix transit in this city?
Chow: Proposes little new money in transit investments because we already have unprecedented amounts of money being invested in transit.

Tory: Proposes spending $8 Billion on a wasteful rapid transit line that will unnecessarily duplicate services provided by our GO RER plan

Are they two sides of the same coin? Perhaps. But I prefer Chow's approach. I don't appreciate Tory toying around with $8 Billion.

It's unfortunate that neither of these candidates are willing to propose spending money on more productive transit priorities. But I'm not too upset; in a few years our transit system will be unrecognizable, with a rapid transit system that is several times larger and various improvements to our surface transit modes. If Mayor Tory or Chow would take a hands off approach and let us implement our plan without interference, I would be very pleased.

Last edited:
So, Chow's campaign is really focused lately on attacking the SmartTrack Eglinton West alignment:
http://www.oliviachow.ca/eglintonavenue

From this article http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=199507:

Anyways, my question to everyone here is: is an elevated structure plausible on the 4.2 meters?

This always makes me so angry. Did nobody really raise a fuss when an almost laughably-easy-to-use right-of-way along a major arterial which for years has been slated for some form of higher-order transit was sold off (and is still in the process of being sold off) for...freehold townhomes? Jesus, Toronto. Some bureaucrat should be getting raked over the metaphorical coals for this.

As for 4.2 meters for an elevated structure, it seems a little narrow, especially with regards to where the stations would be. Plus the amount of community pushback from the owners of those bloody townhomes for running an elevated LRT directly in front of their windows would be considerable.

Anyways, my question to everyone here is: is an elevated structure plausible on the 4.2 meters?
No. But you can always put pillars down the middle of the rebuilt Eglinton, and do it Vancouver-style.

This always makes me so angry. Did nobody really raise a fuss when an almost laughably-easy-to-use right-of-way along a major arterial which for years has been slated for some form of higher-order transit was sold off (and is still in the process of being sold off) for...freehold townhomes? Jesus, Toronto. Some bureaucrat should be getting raked over the metaphorical coals for this.
The EA was done, and approved by the province to allow for LRT down the middle of the street. There's plenty of width. There was no secret this was going on. We discussed it here.

I'm surprised Mayor Ford didn't object to it. But even he didn't object to it.

What amazes me, is that John Tory and his campaign team are so unaware of what is happening in Toronto to even have suggested this. He could just have easily had the line go up the tracks do Malton, and then backed into the airport along Airport Road - it would have provided far more stops in Etobicoke than the one stop he is currently proposing.

Last edited:

Back