News   Jul 19, 2024
 125     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 977     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 890     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

I have to disagree with you. Chow has a very solid record of getting things done in her 15 years in public office. She's no softball.

To be honest, I don't see much that she's done that didn't ride the coattails of Jack Layton. And that's my biggest issue with her. If it wasn't for Jack Layton, her profile would be lower than Soknacki.

Part of my respect for John Tory is precisely because he has achieved a lot professionally. I despise career politicians of all stripes. And for once, I'd like to see accomplished citizens, be they CEOs, doctors, accountants, plumbers, mechanics, school teachers, etc. take up the mantle of leading their cities, provinces and country. John Tory did his time in the business world and chose to give that up for public service at various points in his professional life. That says a lot. The same can't be said (in my most humble opinion) for those who constantly clamour for power because they need the paycheque. I'd rather the individual be motivated by a genuine desire to make a difference (money be damned) than be motivated by staying in power for the sake of his/her paycheque.

My biggest issue with Chow, this campaign, however, has been the fact that she's willing to raise taxes for social programs that should be under the purview of the province. Pour that money into transit and she'd have my vote so easily. I may not entirely agree with her platform, but I would readily support a candidate who pledged to raise taxes for transit. In my opinion, she's raising taxes to fund liabilities which will be growing, going forward. That's not going to make it any easier to fund transit down the road.

Not entirely happy with John Tory's platform. But I thank the heavens, he's not pledging new spending or taxes that will crowd out revenue raising for transit down the road.

service at various points in his professional life. That says a lot. The same can't be said (in my most humble opinion) for those who constantly clamour for power because they need the paycheque. I'd rather the individual be motivated by a genuine desire to make a difference (money be damned) than be motivated by staying in power for the sake of his/her paycheque.

I'm hate this perception that all politicians are just in it for the paycheque/pension. There are plenty of politicians (if not most) who get into it because they genuinely want to have a positive impact.

As for Chow, saying that she was in it for the paycheque is totally ridiculous and unsubstantiated. She had a very secure job as Trinity-Spadina MP that likely pays more than what we pay our mayor. Furthermore Chow is a component woman and I'm sure she could easily get a very well paying job in the private sector if she desired that.

To be honest, I don't see much that she's done that didn't ride the coattails of Jack Layton. And that's my biggest issue with her. If it wasn't for Jack Layton, her profile would be lower than Soknacki.

Part of my respect for John Tory is precisely because he has achieved a lot professionally. I despise career politicians of all stripes. And for once, I'd like to see accomplished citizens, be they CEOs, doctors, accountants, plumbers, mechanics, school teachers, etc. take up the mantle of leading their cities, provinces and country. John Tory did his time in the business world and chose to give that up for public service at various points in his professional life. That says a lot. The same can't be said (in my most humble opinion) for those who constantly clamour for power because they need the paycheque. I'd rather the individual be motivated by a genuine desire to make a difference (money be damned) than be motivated by staying in power for the sake of his/her paycheque.

No offense, but if you look at John Tory's bio, you'd realize that pedigree and connections is very much his background - probably far, far more so than Olivia Chow. He certainly isn't as "private sector" as you made him to be (just saying this as someone who actually support Tory more than Chow's bid at this point).

AoD

My gosh, could Galloway be any worse of an interviewer? He always sounds like a spoiled, impatient, rude brat.

His attitude takes away from a serious, important interview. That was hard to listen to.

You aren't just saying this because he hardballed Chow?

For full disclosure, here he is hardballing Tory on SmartTrack yesterday morning.

Chow will have zero influence on federal purse strings. In fact I could see her as being a real detriment. Harper is a hard core politician and is probably the most partisan and ideological PM this country has had in living memory and cooperating with the opposition isn't his style. In other words I could definitely see him denying Chow for the single reason of who she was married to and her party affiliation.

Tory will have REAL sway with Harper and if one person has the ability to get at federal funds, it's Tory.

Chow will have zero influence on federal purse strings. In fact I could see her as being a real detriment. Harper is a hard core politician and is probably the most partisan and ideological PM this country has had in living memory and cooperating with the opposition isn't his style. In other words I could definitely see him denying Chow for the single reason of who she was married to and her party affiliation.
Federal funding to cities has never been significant to worry about much.

Given that Harper will likely be out of the door about 9 months after the new mayor comes in, I don't see that this is a big issue. And if he knows he'll lose, he'll likely resign, and let a new Conservative leader in in the early Spring.

Tory will have REAL sway with Harper and if one person has the ability to get at federal funds, it's Tory.
Miller did well enough. But who would do well with Prime Minister Trudeau - which is what the current polling indicates.

And if John Tory wasn't born into the Rosedale elite, he likely wouldn't have had any of those "accomplishments". What exactly were those accomplishments anyway, other than just getting appointed to various plum positions in the private and public sector based on daddy's connections? What has Tory actually delivered during his time at these various organizations? I can name a few things he ran into the ground (e.g. both the Canadian and the Ontario PC Parties).

These kind of threats are offensive, unsavory, distasteful but, unfortunately, they work. Politics is a dirty world but if you want money playing Mr. Nice Guy may keep your fine sensibilities in tact but it won't get you a cent.

What exactly are you basing this on? House of Cards?

Every government has its own agenda. They work together wherever those agendas overlap. They ignore each other where they don't. Harper's not going to give Toronto any money that's not tied to his own plans. It doesn't matter who's mayor. The best thing the mayor can do is translate local funding needs into proposals that fit federal programs.

You aren't just saying this because he hardballed Chow?

Absolutely not. I first listened to his interview with John Tory and thought then that he was being a douche and yes, that he was hard-balling. I figured then that was the CBC bias coming out and I was pretty annoyed.

Then I heard the Chow interview and was annoyed again by his attitude but was pleased he hard-balled her as well. So at least he is an equal opportunity impatient, rude, spoiled brat.

I have to disagree with you. Chow has a very solid record of getting things done in her 15 years in publi office. She's no softball.

What exactly are you basing this on? House of Cards?

Every government has its own agenda. They work together wherever those agendas overlap. They ignore each other where they don't. Harper's not going to give Toronto any money that's not tied to his own plans. It doesn't matter who's mayor. The best thing the mayor can do is translate local funding needs into proposals that fit federal programs.
Well she should show that, because the time to play nice is over.

Back