News   Jul 16, 2024
 385     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 514     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 636     2 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

I imagine that if Goldkind ever became a threat, his opponents would go after him for being a criminal defence lawyer. I can almost hear Doug Ford saying something like, "this guy protects rapists and pedophiles!" Unfair, of course, but potentially effective. Come to think of it, has there ever been a successful criminal defence lawyer turned politician?

220px-Diefmontreal.jpg

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/01/18/sam-goldstein-diefenbaker-for-the-defence/

Last edited:
I really find it hilarious the folks here, and on Twitter, trying their absolute best to push Ari Goldkind.

It didn't really work out with David Soknacki, so maybe it'll work with this guy, instead.

Last edited:
I really find it hilarious the folks here, and on Twitter, trying their absolute best to push Ari Goldkind.

It didn't really work out with David Soknacki, so maybe it'll work with this guy, instead.
In Calgary, Neshi was still polling very low throughout the summer in his first mayoral run. Anything is possible.

Goldkind (and even Soknacki) might not have great chances of winning, but they are pushing policies that are popular among the #TOpoli crowd - the Scarborough LRT vs subway debate and Police budgets and carding. They are (at least in my opinion) more interesting to watch right now than the safer Chow and Tory campaigns.

I don't find Goldkind and Soknacki all that similar, except for both being "fringe" candidates. I think Goldkind is getting far more traction than Sok, though both are essentially only visible to people who are on social media.

speaking of fringe candidates, hee hee
@nikkibenz 6m
Not sure "topless" pictures will help #RobFord win this election http://www.truenorthtimes.ca/2014/06/02/rob-ford-gets-wet-learns-every-lesson/ … #tradeinyourfordforabenz

clever hashtag ;)

Soknacki is in the second tier, along with Stintz and at least both are being invited to most debates. Neither are fringe candidates.

Ari Goldkind (and to a lesser extent, Morgan Baskin) are trying - with limited success - to get their names out there. To an extent that I'd put them in the third tier, along with that wacko Thomson who qualifies for third tier (which is the top of fringe candidates) only because of her name recognition.

I have no idea why Norm Gardiner put his name in. We've heard nothing from him - being a long-time city councillor, he could work to be in second tier with Sok and Stintz.

And yes, I think Chow will win.
As long as Ford, Tory, Stintz or Thomson don't win I'll be happy.

Damn, I wish we had ranked balloting. Chow is, right now, my "safety school" of mayoral candidates.

Back