News   Jul 16, 2024
 311     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 499     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 615     2 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

And apparently magical pixies will fund the Downtown Relief Line. Until Tory puts out a reasonable plan with specifics to fund construction and operation of the line (that does not prominently feature cutting waste and finding efficiencies) I will continue to view him as a Fordite who has had elocution lessons.

Last edited:
And apparently magical pixies will fund the Downtown Relief Line. Until Tory puts out a reasonable plan with specifics to fund construction and operation (that does not prominently feature cutting waste and finding efficiencies) I will continue to view him as a Fordite who has had elocution lessons.

John Tory is a "Fordite"?

Keep telling yourself that.

And apparently magical pixies will fund the Downtown Relief Line. Until Tory puts out a reasonable plan with specifics to fund construction and operation (that does not prominently feature cutting waste and finding efficiencies) I will continue to view him as a Fordite who has had elocution lessons.
N'ah, I don't believe you at all. Even if Tory gave you what you asked for here, you'd find another reason to not support him. Your vote was never Tory's to win, so there's no point campaigning to you.

N'ah, I don't believe you at all. Even if Tory gave you what you asked for here, you'd find another reason to not support him. Your vote was never Tory's to win, so there's no point campaigning to you.

So true.

They have long since made their mind up that they won't vote for John Tory.

I can't speak for edmundoconnor, but I'm quite certain Tory's campaigning is lost on me as well. Here's the thing though: not one of the top contenders inspires me in any way so I highly doubt any one of them will be getting my vote.

John Tory is a "Fordite"?

Keep telling yourself that.

So he *hasn't* essentially bought into the Ford message of a chicken in every pot and lower taxes too? I have yet to hear him get down to brass tacks of actual things getting done. Chow has at least put out a concrete proposal for increasing bus service, for example. Mock it if you like, but she has said more about buses than any other candidate in this race or the sitting mayor in his entire term. Subways get all the glory, but what is the main way people get to that subway? Buses. Tory hasn't come out with specifics. Saying you'll get people moving is great. Telling people how you're going to do that and pay for it is even better.

For the record, I never said I'd vote for him if he did put out a plan. I might view him with a little more respect, though.

In any case, the debate is rather academic. I am a Permanent Resident and cannot vote in any Canadian election. Furthermore, I live just across the border in Markham, where the mayoral race is dull, bordering on soporific. So my opinion counts for nought, electorally-speaking.

Tory never had my vote, but there was a time when I was okay (even slightly supportive) with the idea of a Tory mayoralty. I thought he had the potential to be a Bloomberg-like figure who could unite the business community around a progressive urban agenda. Boy was I mistaken. He seems to have absolutely no vision for the city. His campaign is basically recycling Ford Nation boilerplate with a friendlier face. He hasn't even done anything to suggest to me that he'd be a particularly good manager. Bloomberg was apparently an extremely good manager. Tory seems more like Mitt Romney: he thinks just because he's a rich guy in a suit who had a plum position in the private sector that it automatically makes him management material.

Soknacki, on the other hand, was a conservative that I dismissed initially, but has since grown on me.

Socknacki's alright but my parents voted for him when he was our councillor back in the day in Scarborough, which means there must be something wrong with him. ;)

Socknacki's alright but my parents voted for him when he was our councillor back in the day in Scarborough, which means there must be something wrong with him. ;)
Are your parents Vulcan too? :)
Soknacki is my first choice as well, but he hasn't moved at all in his %.

Tory never had my vote, but there was a time when I was okay (even slightly supportive) with the idea of a Tory mayoralty. I thought he had the potential to be a Bloomberg-like figure who could unite the business community around a progressive urban agenda. Boy was I mistaken. He seems to have absolutely no vision for the city. His campaign is basically recycling Ford Nation boilerplate with a friendlier face. He hasn't even done anything to suggest to me that he'd be a particularly good manager. Bloomberg was apparently an extremely good manager. Tory seems more like Mitt Romney: he thinks just because he's a rich guy in a suit who had a plum position in the private sector that it automatically makes him management material.

Soknacki, on the other hand, was a conservative that I dismissed initially, but has since grown on me.

This is my opinion exactly, except I was open to the idea of voting for Tory at first.

Soknacki: "Tory is Running for the Wrong Job"
http://www.soknacki2014.com/soknacki_tory_is_running_for_the_wrong_job

Soknacki says rival’s Economic Plan “sounds strangely like a pitch for Premier’s job”

Today, Mayoral candidate David Soknacki responded to rival John Tory’s economic proposals, released earlier at the Economic Club of Canada.

“I hope this is only his first draft,” Soknacki said, noting that the document is riddled with proposals and targets that have “no hint of ‘how’ attached to any of it.” But Soknacki was surprised that Tory’s plan also seemed clearly aligned for provincial or corporate politics – not coincidentally, the only fields in which Tory has practical leadership experience.

For example:

* Tory’s push on education.
Tory is pushing for a medical school at York University, and declared a vague intention to focus on promoting education. “Make no mistake - I’ll always support a strong education system as a citizen and as a Mayor,” Soknacki said, “but there are already two levels of government that have the lead on delivering education in this province.”

* Tory’s fixation on reducing barriers to foreign investment.
“Tory may not know this as the former CEO of a protected industry, but I know from my own trade experience that the biggest barriers to foreign investment here are found in federal investment laws, not local procedures,” Soknacki said. “Once you get down to the City level, a foreign investor faces the same zoning, regulatory and community barriers as a Canadian investor. If Tory wants to spend his time lobbying to change federal laws, that’s great, but he’d have made more progress doing so if he’d stuck it out at Queen’s Park as a provincial party leader,” he said.

* Tory’s regulatory approach won’t easily fit at City Hall.
Soknacki also noted that several of Tory’s stock promises don’t fit so easily into a municipal environment. For example, it’s unclear how Tory’s plan for a “one for one” regulatory tradeoff would work in a civic setting where every zoning variance could count as a regulation. And rules that Tory supported to regulate food trucks would have counted as “additional regulation” in a one for one model, even though Tory believes they made it easier to do business.

* Tory’s plans often rely on corporate arm-twisting, uncertain contributions.
“Several times in his plan and elsewhere, Tory makes it seem as if being the Mayor is just another corporate development job,” Soknacki said. “He needs to raise roughly $50m in private cash over five years to fund his tree plan targets. He needs to recruit 40 more employers to reach his proposed target for a youth employment program. He even wants to ‘roll up his sleeves’ to find funding to make Humber River a Teaching Hospital,” he said. “How will he have time to micromanage all of these campaigns?”

But Soknacki did have one note of praise, adding that Tory has joined Soknacki’s push to accelerate open data releases at City Hall, “although Tory’s plan fails to specify enforcement measures, as I did,” Soknacki said.

“Once again, I’m proud that our platform is influencing the platforms of the purported frontrunners so directly,” he said.

Last edited:
Are your parents Vulcan too? :)
Soknacki is my first choice as well, but he hasn't moved at all in his %.

No, my main concern was my old man's membership in the Conservative Party. Yeah, the one with the wannabe fascist government in Ottawa at the moment. But, Nah, Soknacki's pretty legit.

Back