News   May 02, 2024
 51     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   May 02, 2024
 518     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

Even in the latter scenario, I would think Cho would win. The public that would be informed about Cho possibly/probably bailing and who would punish him for running anyway would be vastly outnumbered by people who saw his name on the ballot, recognized the name, remembered vaguely positive things about him, and voted for him.

As per Goldsbie on Twitter, Liberal MP Jim Karygiannis is resigning his federal seat to run in Ward 39. Current councillor Del Grande will not be running again.

From what I know he's a hardball player. Probably realizes Trudeau won't want him after the bullying stance in Trinity-Spadina.

Am I missing something? Why would an MP resign to run as a city councillor?
He said he wants to be closer to his family and ailing mother. From the sounds of it though he is a one-man wrecking ball with a long list of enemies. I wouldn't be surprised if something else is at play.

something to occupy with time with and the challenge especially if you do become mayor (small chance at this point) but at least Chow no longer has the left to herself

Great. Another homophobe at City Hall. Just what we need. Karygiannis voted against gay marriage under Martin and then voted to repeal it under Harper.

Great. Another homophobe at City Hall. Just what we need. Karygiannis voted against gay marriage under Martin and then voted to repeal it under Harper.

didn't a large portion of MPs vote against gay marriage under Martin? approval of the concept was barely above 50% in Canada at the time.. (which has since changed, its now closer to 70% from my understanding)

Last edited:
didn't a large portion of MPs vote against gay marriage under Martin?
A large portion of Conservatives voted against gay marriage in the last vote. Not a big surprise, given how bigoted many of them are. But only 13 of the other 183 MPs voted against it.

It's good to see that Trudeau is cleaning the shit like Jim Karygiannis out of the party.

A large portion of Conservatives voted against gay marriage in the last vote. Not a big surprise, given how bigoted many of them are. But only 13 of the other 183 MPs voted against it.

It's good to see that Trudeau is cleaning the shit like Jim Karygiannis out of the party.

Small correction: he was one of 32 Liberal MPs (out of 132) to vote AGAINST legalizing same-sex marriage under Martin. He was one of only 13 opposition MPs to vote FOR repealing same-sex marriage under Harper. In both cases, part of a bigoted minority both in his party and in the city of Toronto.

In fact, he criticized Harper for not trying hard enough to outlaw gay marriage.

Back