News   Jul 18, 2024
 289     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 468     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 653     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

Etobicoke-Lakeshore loser goes back to city hall match seems so interesting. On May 30 Forum did a local poll for this riding and had Milczyn (Lib) 49%, Holyday (PC) 39% and Choo (NDP) 7%. As much as I would love to see it I just can't see Holyday losing by that much. But the projection sites have Milczyn slightly edging out Holyday 47-42 with a 59% of winning.

The other city councilor running for a provincial seat is Scarborough-Rouge River and Raymond Cho running for the PC. The prediction sites are predicting and easy win for the Liberal candidate with 46% of the vote while the NDP candidate gets 28% and Cho at third getting 23%.

One interesting possible outcome of all this: if Doug Holyday returns to his Ward 3 seat this fall...

One interesting possible outcome of all this: if Doug Holyday returns to his Ward 3 seat this fall...
According to recent polls, could be a real possibility. Has Leon decided whether or not he will run again, despite promising not to do so?

Why do so many of you detest Doug Holyday?

He served the old City of Etobicoke for many years with near flawless service.

As councillor, I think he did a fantastic job as a fiscal conservative, helping Ford secure key labour victories at a time when NO ONE thought it could happen.

I've met him ... I know him ... I sincerely hope he wins tomorrow (nothing against Peter Milczyn, because I know and like him, too).

If he doesn't win, I think he'll retire.

Last edited:
Why do so many of you detest Doug Holyday?
He was an apologist for Ford. He actually put effort into creating implausible excuses for him.

His outlook was very dated. He couldn't imagine anyone wanting to raise kids downtown, for example.

I've seen him in council chambers. He appears like someone who was and maybe still can be personally charming. Just makes him seem even more like a vampire now.

He was an apologist for Ford. He actually put effort into creating implausible excuses for him.

His outlook was very dated. He couldn't imagine anyone wanting to raise kids downtown, for example.

I've seen him in council chambers. He appears like someone who was and maybe still can be personally charming. Just makes him seem even more like a vampire now.

He wasn't an apologist for Rob Ford.

Doug Ford is an apologist for Rob Ford. Mark Towhey was an apologist for Rob Ford.

Doug Holyday is a principled, old-school conservative. A decent family man. I'm SURE he thought Ford's actions were disgraceful. It's one of the reasons why he left City Hall.

I've seen him in council chambers, too. Many times.

I thought he was a respectful councillor.

As Deputy Mayor he downplayed and dismissed criticism of Rob Ford's drinking problem. After the Danforth incident, when the Mayor had been obviously drunk and had obviously driven there, for example.

He wasn't an apologist for Rob Ford. .

Yes he was.

“When you look at it, what’s left? We’ve accomplished so much in such a short period of time.” (his view of the Ford administration)

"He could be a good MPP” (talking about Doug Ford)

“They are slapping him around for the sake of slapping him around,” (accusing city councillors of “being vindictive” for stripping away Mr. Ford’s powers)

Reporter: Do you still have full confidence in the mayor?
Holyday: "I do at this point. Certainly we all know that videos can be altered and we certainly know that drug dealers can't be trusted so we don't know what we're dealing with here and until we do I don't have much to say" (his reaction to the crack video bombshell)

"The city is still functioning. The water still comes out of your tap, the fire department is still working."

“I think the longer they go without any video, the less credibility the whole thing has” (and again suggested that reporters may have seen a fake crack video)

"This mayor has gone through such scrutiny that everything he does is scrutinized in a way no other politician has ever had before." (wants media to leave Ford alone)

“This vendetta is getting larger by the day. Ford has been to court three times over various things appearing in the Star."

"The Toronto Star has continuously ran front page stories that are no more than accusations, and the allegations that Ford may have been smoking crack cocaine appear outrageous.”

(regarding Rob's drunken stupor on the Danforth)

“I thought they were inconclusive, and I really couldn’t determine a lot of what was being said and who was saying it. They’re phone videos and they’re not top quality.”

“Whether he does or doesn’t (drink), I haven’t seen that occur. Even if he did have a couple of drinks... as long as he wasn’t out of line, as long as he wasn’t driving his vehicle... He’s human like the rest of us.”

“That’s another thing: I’ve seen pictures of myself in the paper and thought, ‘Holy cow, do I really look like that?’ I could take pictures of you and you’d be out of character”

"Ford’s activities are regularly blown out of proportion. That’s the mayor being the mayor. I think he’s been held to a higher standard than you or anybody here has held any other politician, and I think it’s got to stop.”

“The right never had control of city hall. My advice to the taxpayer would be: Don’t send us any more activists, don’t send us any more unionists, don’t send us any more cyclists. Send us some people down here with good common sense who just want to manage the city’s affairs. That’s what’s needed." (after Ford lost a vote at city council in 2012)

"TTC chair Karen Stintz backstabbed us and the outcome is a failure of her leadership, not the mayor's" (after council voted against subways on Sheppard)

Last edited:
I don't think it's that off topic. Holyday and Milczyn are both really well known city councillors who odds are will go back to running their old seat if they lose. Especially Milczyn as he never resigned. I will give Milczyn credit he at least showed up for work at CH unlike Cho wasn't there yesterday and today.

As for not liking Holyday, we've talked about the Ford connections but something else stands out. Holyday was the first to wag his finger at other councilors who jumped ship from CH to run in party politics and not resign during the election. But Holyday did exactly that (ran in by-election but not resign, only did after he won) Total hypocrite move by him.

I don't think it's that off topic. Holyday and Milczyn are both really well known city councillors who odds are will go back to running their old seat if they lose. Especially Milczyn as he never resigned. I will give Milczyn credit he at least showed up for work at CH unlike Cho wasn't there yesterday and today.

As for not liking Holyday, we've talked about the Ford connections but something else stands out. Holyday was the first to wag his finger at other councilors who jumped ship from CH to run in party politics and not resign during the election. But Holyday did exactly that (ran in by-election but not resign, only did after he won) Total hypocrite move by him.

I do not understand. Resigning and taking a leave of absence are different things.
Are you saying that Milczyn did not even take a leave of absence during the campaign? That should not be allowed.
Did Holyday or Cho take a leave of absence?

Last edited:

You're right it was.

Back