News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 773     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Brampton

It makes no difference what Fennell has to say now...she is irrelevant...she has less of a chance of re-election than R Ford

I think you are correct there...the interesting thing to watch, I think, is does the attention on her spending gloss over the fact that all council members (to some, varying, degree) have been identified as breaking "rules" and do the lower amounts of the others get a "pass" because the Mayor steals the headlines? Or, in the alternative, do they all become unelectable because their names are all included in this audit and, presumably, the police investigation?

Today, it would seem, is a great day for Linda Jeffrey....which, from my viewpoint, is kinda sad.

As a gallery member (and someone snarking all over social media), today's council meeting was a shitshow.

Most of the council members had breaches of policy that were tinier. My own councilor, Vicky Dhillion, had about three.

However, bringing spouses to community events and expensing their tickets has apparently never been a breach, so some offenders in that category (namely Gael Miles) are basically being forgiven, though they're never going to do that ever again.

The two big (non-mayor) spenders are Cllr. Hutton and Cllr. Callahan, the former being sick, and the latter being on vacation.

Also, the mayor tried to cut her pay back in November. Except instead of going through the legal way of ammending the bylaw, she basically bullied the city treasurer into doing it. She has no conceptual idea that she can't do that. Her salary is fixed by law.

I suppose we will see the return to Council of a Whillens (City 2&6) considering that Hutton decided to take a run at the Region...that is not going to go well for him.....

I suppose we will see the return to Council of a Whillens (City 2&6) considering that Hutton decided to take a run at the Region...that is not going to go well for him.....

there are a lot of candidates in 2&6.....I wonder how strong the "Whillans Brand" is...it has been a long time since his dad was in office...unlike, say, Palleschi's kid who is trying to succeed his papa and, presumably, more of the people who supported Paul over the years are still there to support/work for/vote for Michael.

there are a lot of candidates in 2&6.....I wonder how strong the "Whillans Brand" is...it has been a long time since his dad was in office...unlike, say, Palleschi's kid who is trying to succeed his papa and, presumably, more of the people who supported Paul over the years are still there to support/work for/vote for Michael.

Doug has made a runs in 2006/10 at City2&6 and was beaten by Hutton on both occassions however Whillans % increased fairly dramatically 2010 over 2006 to the point he was a contender
I really don't know what Hutton is thinking he has had weak mandates in both 2006 and 2010 City for him to take a run at Region in 2014 even against Michael seems to me is a sure way to be defeated....and then there is the perennial Vicky Colbourne on the list too

Doug has made a runs in 2006/10 at City2&6 and was beaten by Hutton on both occassions however Whillans % increased fairly dramatically 2010 over 2006 to the point he was a contender
I really don't know what Hutton is thinking he has had weak mandates in both 2006 and 2010 City for him to take a run at Region in 2014 even against Michael seems to me is a sure way to be defeated....and then there is the perennial Vicky Colbourne on the list too

Hutton (IMO) has been the weakest councillor at 2 Wellington for some time....never was quite sure how he got elected and what he did. Given his age and the reasonably attractive parting gifts this council approved...my bet is he is taking a stab at the larger paycheque that a Regional Councillor gets for a final 4 year term....and if he doesn't win, take the golden handshake and move on.

2&6 are high growth wards and I just wonder how much cache/recognition the Whillans name has with that large influx of new voters...so many of which would not have lived in the city at the last election never mind when his dad was in office.

Hutton (IMO) has been the weakest councillor at 2 Wellington for some time....never was quite sure how he got elected and what he did. Given his age and the reasonably attractive parting gifts this council approved...my bet is he is taking a stab at the larger paycheque that a Regional Councillor gets for a final 4 year term....and if he doesn't win, take the golden handshake and move on.

2&6 are high growth wards and I just wonder how much cache/recognition the Whillans name has with that large influx of new voters...so many of which would not have lived in the city at the last election never mind when his dad was in office.

Part of Hutton's recognition goes way back to the CPR Station...When the station was decommissioned and set to be demolished the Huttons had it moved to their newly created Garden Centre on Creditview south IIRC of Queen to refurbish it and use it a centre piece....of course that is close to 30 years ago that and the name "Huttonville" is where a lot of the goodwill came from.

Part of Hutton's recognition goes way back to the CPR Station...When the station was decommissioned and set to be demolished the Huttons had it moved to their newly created Garden Centre on Creditview south IIRC of Queen to refurbish it and use it a centre piece....of course that is close to 30 years ago that and the name "Huttonville" is where a lot of the goodwill came from.

Sure....but in those intervening 30 years, how much have these two wards grown? How many people voting in those wards even know that story? Care about it now?

Sure....but in those intervening 30 years, how much have these two wards grown? How many people voting in those wards even know that story? Care about it now?

Ward 6 (Hutton's home ward) has seen exponential growth over those intervening years....Ward 2 more incrmental growth (it's big splurge was late '70's very early '80's....Look I want to see Hutton gone he has not been a decent City rep for Ward 2 and would be well out of his depth at Region...The reality is, my choice at Region is Vicky Colbourne.....

Ward 6 (Hutton's home ward) has seen exponential growth over those intervening years....Ward 2 more incrmental growth (it's big splurge was late '70's very early '80's....Look I want to see Hutton gone he has not been a decent City rep for Ward 2 and would be well out of his depth at Region...The reality is, my choice at Region is Vicky Colbourne.....

Incremental? Ward 2 grew by over 16% between 2001 and 2006....yes that pales somewhat to 715% that 6 grew by but it is hardly incremental. Point is, both wards have added a lot of people since Mr. Hutton made his mark and I bet both have a lot of voters that have no idea what he "is".

That said, I think the biggest issue anyone has representing 6 is its very bizarre shape/configuration and very large land size. I have a hard time believing that such a large area, covering such diverse neighbourhoods can actually have the same "local" issues all over the ward. That is way less an issue in 2 but when you combine the two wards (as our strange electoral system does) it just exacerbates the issue.

Back