News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 758     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Brampton

Incremental? Ward 2 grew by over 16% between 2001 and 2006....yes that pales somewhat to 715% that 6 grew by but it is hardly incremental. Point is, both wards have added a lot of people since Mr. Hutton made his mark and I bet both have a lot of voters that have no idea what he "is".

That said, I think the biggest issue anyone has representing 6 is its very bizarre shape/configuration and very large land size. I have a hard time believing that such a large area, covering such diverse neighbourhoods can actually have the same "local" issues all over the ward. That is way less an issue in 2 but when you combine the two wards (as our strange electoral system does) it just exacerbates the issue.

Yes Ward 6 is a pretty big pill to swallow...
I don't know if you were in Ward 2 back in the original Heart Lake...however what you suggest in Ward 6 today was going on in Ward 2 at the time....the developments south of TCP had no relationship to the original, the builds of Stonegate and North of Conservation were too uppity and the only newer area that seemed Heart Lakian was west of the creek to 10, Sandalwood to Conservation....that calmed down after a couple of years and then was exacerbated by the developments west of 10...

Crystal Balling it in Brampton...
City
1-3 Maureen Harper (time for Grant Gibson to go)

2-6 Ojie Eghobor (no incumbent running as of this date)

3-4 C Jean Jamieson (no incumbent running as of this date)

7-8 Karla Bailey (no incumbent running as of this date)

9-10 and returning Vicky Dhillon

Region
1-3 returning Elaine Moore

2-6 Vicky Colbourne she has tried and tried and tried this time is her time even with Hutton trying to move up and Palleschi tring to hand of to his son

3-4 Garnett Manning (Brampton's answer to Michael Thompson)

7-8 returning Gael Miles

10 Michelle Shaw (anyone of several candidates have to be better than the incumbent John Spoveri)

Mayor Linda Jeffrey (the nameless incumbent will be lucky to get 10% of the vote)

Comments, observations?

Last edited:
http://www.cp24.com/news/integrity-...-broke-spending-rules-1.1994257#ixzz3CXhYYllm

Not that Fennell has a chance, but the integrity commissioner ruled against her.

And the rest of Council (every one of them)...Let's see the dollar amounts they'll be asked to reimburse...
Here are the numbers..whether it it be as much as listed who knows
Bob Callahan...Breach of Policy 16,470 + Possible Breach 650 + Not Enough Info 806
John Hutton " " " 5,369 + " " 420 + " " " 2,208
John Sanderson " " " 1,357 + " " 0 + " " " 3,890
Paul Palleschi " " " 1,315 + " " 0 + " " " 1.078
Gael Miles " " " 1,268 + " " 0 + " " " 1,007
Elaine Moore " " " 774 + " " 0 + " " " 641
John Sproveri " " " 558 + " " 0 + " " " 1,707
Sandra Hames " " " 553 + " " 0 + " " " 780
Grant Gibson " " " 358 + " " 0 + " " " 0
Vicky Dhillon " " " 16 + " " 0 + " " " 714

Last edited:
Forgive the downtown bubble (UrbanToronto and all that) but how did Fennell get to where she is/(was)? What constituencies did she motivate? Why would the Indo-Canadian pop. vote for her? What's she got on Brampton(ers/ites)? Did she just slowly consolidate a machine through committee work from the early 90's?

She seems awful.

Forgive the downtown bubble (UrbanToronto and all that) but how did Fennell get to where she is/(was)? What constituencies did she motivate? Why would the Indo-Canadian pop. vote for her? What's she got on Brampton(ers/ites)? Did she just slowly consolidate a machine through committee work from the early 90's?

She seems awful.

I think the polls are telling you she does not have anything "on" the Brampton voters. Her path to Mayor was fairly simple, I think she had been on council (city and region) for 10+ years before she took a run for office against then Mayor Robertson in what (if I recall correctly) was a fairly close vote.

During her term on council, she had gained the rep as a hard working consensus builder focused on low taxes, balanced budgets and building business within the city. During her first terms in office (and actually until about half way through this term) there was very little controversy surrounding her performance.

Back