News   Apr 23, 2024
 938     2 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 426     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

2010: Turning Point?

There was a time when I kind of hoped NFITZ would designate me as a liar or a bigot, there would have been a cachet to have been centred out by a major Gong Show character like him. The dream has faded however, he is no longer the guy I would have been proud to say hated me. NFITZ you spiralled down to become a loon unworthy of respect or even the time it takes to read your posts.

Can you and nfitz please go somewhere else so people can concentrate on actual urban issues rather than you ranting about empty buses or nfitz's political correctness?

Nevertheless, what Ford says about immigration or race should be the least of Toronto's concerns right now.

I think 2010 and Ford's election are a turning point but not for the reasons outlined. I think Ford does not represent the demise of the new Toronto that this forum generally espouses. Ford represents the authentic Toronto, the authentic Toronto that has no future.

I don't think many people on this forum consider the negative implications of the Toronto of the future that they and I champion. A Toronto of the future that is virbrant, high density, urban, aesthetically beautiful, transit oriented etc. is also a city that is hyper competitive, inequitable, high cost, segregated, lacking opportunity, lacking social mobility etc.

Whatever you want to say about Ford (and he probably deserves much of the negative commentary) he still ironically represents a Toronto of the past that is more not less inclusive.

This is the elusive irony of the situation. As a downtown elitist I am comfortable and champion inclusiveness but my actions actually generate inequity because my relative competitiveness drives others away. The opposite is the case for Ford and his supporters in the suburbs. They are uncomfortable with inclusivity but champion a vision of Toronto as a bastion of the grey middle where diversity flourishes...and yet this diversity is seen by them as a threat.

I guess 2010 is when we found out just how many bigots there were in Toronto - or at least those who would willingly turn a blind eye to a bigot ... which is just as bad.

I think nfitz statement above is worse than his slanderous rant at Ford.

He's obviously misread the reason for Ford's win. It is not a reflection of a bigoted or exclusionary attitude in the inner suburbs.
Ford's win is about people being sick and tired of politicians treating taxpayers like an unlimited source of funds. So many in public service come to their jobs with an attitude of entitlement where the needs of some group or agency they represent are paramount regardless the cost to the taxpayer.

The St Peter homeless shelter is a case in point. At a cost of over $11.5 million dollars, the 40 bed shelter was built at double the original cost estimate. At $287,500 per bed, this project should be subject of a criminal investigation.

The Bloor Street revitalization going $4.5 Million over budget and months late is another case in point.

National Post editorial board October 22, 2010
Toronto desperately needs change at City Hall. Spending has increased 43% since outgoing mayor David Miller took office — salaries and benefits by 47%. Over that same time, revenue from user fees and permits rose nearly 30% and property tax revenue by nearly a quarter — far outstripping the city’s population growth. The city has anywhere from 15% to 25% more employees than it did in 1998, depending on whose numbers you go by, and very little to show for it. All candidates in this campaign agree the city faces a $503-million budget shortfall for 2011.

The municipal government simply spends too much money, a plain fact that becomes evident every time budget day approaches and mortal panic sets in. In the past, some ad-hoc combination of service cuts, fee hikes, property tax increases and temporary, desperation budget cuts across departments has kept the city treading water. But treading water isn’t good enough. Torontonians rightly sense that their city is in trouble.

A budget increasing 45% and 15-25% more employees during Miller's term was the reason why Ford was elected.

People want the purse strings tightedend at the municipal level and Ford was the only candidate offering that as an option.

Toronto's inner suburbs are no more bigoted than than the urban centre and I dare anyone to find any proof to the contrary.

The attitude off some on this board in regards to the citizens of the suburbs and inner burbs is, in my opionion as bigoted as anything ever said by Ford.

Last edited:
I think nfitz statement above is worse than his slanderous rant at Ford.
Is it really necessary to reply to posts from last year?

He's obviously misread the reason for Ford's win. It is not a reflection of a bigoted or exclusionary attitude in the inner suburbs.
I never said that they voted for Ford because they were bigots, or he was a bigot; that would be very odd.

I simply said that they voted for him despite knowing he was a bigot. That's a huge turning point.

Is it really necessary to reply to posts from last year?

I never said that they voted for Ford because they were bigots, or he was a bigot; that would be very odd.

I simply said that they voted for him despite knowing he was a bigot. That's a huge turning point.

Reading your previous votes, you actually say that: we found out just how many bigots there were in Toronto - or at least those who would willingly turn a blind eye to a bigot

Very disrespectful...indeed. Ford's victory can be easily be blamed on a lack of choice as well.

Very disrespectful...indeed.
It's hugely disrespectful for people to vote for a bigot. Not sure your point here, you merely repeat what I just said the the post above

Ford's victory can be easily be blamed on a lack of choice as well.
Yes, a huge factor. The left-wing candidate was uninspiring, and hadn't an original thought in his head. And the centrist candidate was almost as big as bully as Ford, with his own baggage. A half-decent candidate from any part of the spectrum - such as a Miller or a Tory - should have been able to clean up.

Back