News   Jul 09, 2024
 806     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 615     0 

2008 Federal Election: GTA Voting Patterns

All they did was target farmers in the hopes of solving urban crime.....we can see how that worked out.....
Given that the rural/small town murder rates are higher in virtually every province in Canada than the urban murder rates, why would we not want to target farmers with guns?

Given that the rural/small town murder rates are higher in virtually every province in Canada than the urban murder rates, why would we not want to target farmers with guns?

Touche. But you will recall that the registry was pitched as a way of solving big city crime.....

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread....if somebody want's to start a thread debating gun control policy, then the discussion can be continued there.

I think he was referring to the long gun portion of the registry which significantly increased the cost of rifle ownership, a tool of the trade for farmers.....by requiring the registration of non-restricted firearms. Most handguns were either restricted or prohibited weapons and were required to be registered anyway before the Liberals implemented the long gun registry. All they did was target farmers in the hopes of solving urban crime.....we can see how that worked out.....

So he was lying in his original post when he said they wanted to take away legal guns from farmers. Sounds like NRA tactics.

If we have to register and pay a fee to drive and own cars then people should have to register and pay a fee to own and shoot guns.

So he was lying in his original post when he said they wanted to take away legal guns from farmers. Sounds like NRA tactics.

If we have to register and pay a fee to drive and own cars then people should have to register and pay a fee to own and shoot guns.

I have never asserted that anbody was trying to take away legal guns from farmers. Stop with BS American comparisons already...in case you haven't noticed, we live in Canada, I am Canadian and we are discussing a Canadian issue....I couldn't care less about what happens south of the 49th. You seem to be fixated with American politics and policy for some idiotic reason.

The Liberals pitched a policy to register farmer's rifles as a way of controlling urban gun violence. To me that was a cash grab from farmers, plain and simple. A rifle is their tool of the trade. Do we expect farmers to stop coyotes with their bare hands? Yes I think its unfair to tax someone's tools. Do we make plumbers pay a wrench registration charge?

Why didn't they simply ban handguns in urban areas? That's something I am all for. I really don't think someone needs a 9mm in the 416 to survive. It was already required for handguns to be registered. All the Liberals did was add the long gun registry to it. And sold that policy as the end all and be all of gun violence prevention.....

Somehow the fact that most of our illegal handguns come from the US seemed to slip their minds....

It's ridiculous to call the long gun registry as cash grab from farmers. The registration fee didn't even come close to covering the cost of the operation of the registry itself, let alone contributing to general revenue.

Also note that the police use the gun registry dozens of times a day. For example, to check if there's a gun in the home when the get a domestic disturbance call.

It's ridiculous to call the long gun registry as cash grab from farmers. The registration fee didn't even come close to covering the cost of the operation of the registry itself, let alone contributing to general revenue.

That was more owing to mismanagement, than anything else. Anyway, why should we charge fees for what are essentially tools of the trade for farmers.

Also note that the police use the gun registry dozens of times a day. For example, to check if there's a gun in the home when the get a domestic disturbance call.

I agree that this is a good use of the database. However, they never sold it like that. That was more an add-on function that they discovered. I am all for banning handguns in the city. The Liberals were in power for over a decade and they never introduced a bill banning handguns, not even once.

Anyway, Mot is simply trying to oppose for the sake of opposing now...following me around on thread after thread...trying to paint me as a neo-con simply because I don't share his sympathy for US military deserters.

I'd rather stick to the topic at hand. If we want to discuss gun control, open a thread in that name and we can have a frank discussion there.

I have never asserted that anbody was trying to take away legal guns from farmers. Stop with BS American comparisons already...in case you haven't noticed, we live in Canada, I am Canadian and we are discussing a Canadian issue....I couldn't care less about what happens south of the 49th. You seem to be fixated with American politics and policy for some idiotic reason.....

Are you using two screen names because I was referring to what Zeister said? Please follow along, especially if you are choosing to defend Zeister's comments.

Also the NRA has spent alot resources in Canada influencing our gun control laws. They are a Canadian issue.

The liberals pitches a policy where every gun in this nation is registered. It effected every gun owner in the nation. Shotguns are used in crimes as someone already pointed out. It's not unfair to tax people for the privilege to own and use weapons. Just like it is not unfair for a registration
tax for people for use their automobile.

The registry isn't the problem, it was the Liberal implementation and cost that was the problem.

It's true illegal guns come form the US, yet you say the NRA is not a Canadian problem. You just defeated your own argument and you have the cojones to call me idiotic.

Are you using two screen names because I was referring to what Zeister said? Please follow along, especially if you are choosing to defend Zeister's comments.

The preceeding quote was attributed to me. I misread...my apologies.

The registry isn't the problem, it was the Liberal implementation and cost that was the problem.

I never said the registry was a problem. I said there was no need for the registry to target long guns....we seemed to be doing fine for decades before that when there was no long gun registry.

IMHO the way you target urban gun violence is by banning handguns, and imposing stiff penalties for gun crimes.

It's true illegal guns come form the US, yet you say the NRA is not a Canadian problem. You just defeated your own argument and you have the cojones to call me idiotic.

While I am not a fan of the NRA, what do they have to do with the flow of illegal firearms to Canada? Do they have some policy advocating the shipping of illegal firearms to Canada that we should be aware off?

Again, you are attempting to hijack a thread. Let's end this discussion and stick to the topic. If you want to discuss gun control, take it elsewhere. This sidebar has nothing to do with the voting patterns of the GTA.

Gun ownership is a universal concern!

Dear MOT,
It does matter to farmers. The Liberals promised registration would not result in confiscation. The Firearms Act immediately outlawed 50% of handguns and many semi-automatic rifles. The Liberals are now on record as supporting the banning of all handguns and all semi-automatic rifles. Can you not see the pattern? The semi-automatic ban will affect hunters, trappers, aboriginal people and farmers. How long will it be before they ban the remaining rifles? Don't be naive. We must demand our rights at every step or we will all be the losers. The Liberals are steadily moving to the left with the intention of disarming the civilian population. That is the history of their legislation to date. The Historic truth is that the Nazis' and the Communists followed the same path. Distressing but fact.

The English Bill of Rights, 1689 confirmed that civilian firearms ownership was not only a right but also a duty. That was confirmed for the next 200 years in English law. That was our right in 1867. In the 20th century the government chipped away at those rights. Allan Rock and the Liberals are either ignorant of our historical heritage or they are blatantly lying to us in promoting their leftist political agenda. If politicians lie then they must be exposed and countered at every turn. We deserve better than political hacks that lie to us.

Stick to the topic. Stop jacking this thread.

If you want to discuss gun control, take it elsewhere....

I have started a "Gun Control" thread in the Toronto Issues section.

This thread is about GTA Voting Patterns. Please follow the UT etiquette and stick to the topic.

Thanks

Stick to the topic. Stop jacking this thread.

If you want to discuss gun control, take it elsewhere....

I have started a "Gun Control" thread in the Toronto Issues section.

This thread is about GTA Voting Patterns. Please follow the UT etiquette and stick to the topic.

Thanks

Keith you are a member not a moderator. More than a few times you have said you want to stick to the topic and will not longer post on the subject, yet keep on doing it. Also, if you want to stick to etiquette you might want to avoid using words like idiotic.

While I am not a fan of the NRA, what do they have to do with the flow of illegal firearms to Canada? Do they have some policy advocating the shipping of illegal firearms to Canada that we should be aware off?

Again, you are attempting to hijack a thread. Let's end this discussion and stick to the topic. If you want to discuss gun control, take it elsewhere. This sidebar has nothing to do with the voting patterns of the GTA.

You don't see a link between the importation of illegal firearms and the lack of regulations of gun ownership in the US. Which is a direct result of NRA lobbyists. You said yourself illegal guns from US are the problem here.

The NRA is also working with Canadian gun ownership organizations like Canadian Shooting Sports Association and DCRA.

This subject was brought up by Zeister against the Mayor of this city. Stop trying to dictate the thread subject matter simply because your NRA/US influence arguments were easily defeated.

Back