News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.8K     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 3.8K     3 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.4K     2 

2008 Federal Election: GTA Voting Patterns

Keith you are a member not a moderator. More than a few times you have said you want to stick to the topic and will not longer post on the subject, yet keep on doing it. Also, if you want to stick to etiquette you might want to avoid using words like idiotic.

Agreed. My apologies. Let's move on.

Dear MOT,
It does matter to farmers. The Liberals promised registration would not result in confiscation. The Firearms Act immediately outlawed 50% of handguns and many semi-automatic rifles. The Liberals are now on record as supporting the banning of all handguns and all semi-automatic rifles. Can you not see the pattern? The semi-automatic ban will affect hunters, trappers, aboriginal people and farmers. How long will it be before they ban the remaining rifles? Don't be naive. We must demand our rights at every step or we will all be the losers. The Liberals are steadily moving to the left with the intention of disarming the civilian population. That is the history of their legislation to date. The Historic truth is that the Nazis' and the Communists followed the same path. Distressing but fact.

The English Bill of Rights, 1689 confirmed that civilian firearms ownership was not only a right but also a duty. That was confirmed for the next 200 years in English law. That was our right in 1867. In the 20th century the government chipped away at those rights. Allan Rock and the Liberals are either ignorant of our historical heritage or they are blatantly lying to us in promoting their leftist political agenda. If politicians lie then they must be exposed and countered at every turn. We deserve better than political hacks that lie to us.

Handguns were created to kill human beings. What purpose are they for hunting/farming with their short ranges and lack of accuracy beyond the short range?

Do you really need semi automatic weapons on a farm? For what...to shred an animal to death while hunting? Use your long guns as farmers did prior to the invention of the hand gun. It serves it's purpose for the jobs at hand. It's why the political parties are not seeking a ban on long guns.
The ban on these type of weapons (hand guns and automatics) is a good thing for a civilized society.

I would add that gun lovers bringing up the Nazis is absolutely nauseating. The Nazis created one of the most well-armed, militarized societies in history.

I think that neither the CPC or the LPC will exceed 140 each. Other than that, it is hard to say this far in advance.

It will be interesting to see what kind of blowback there is against Harper for breaking his own promise (and law!) prescribing fixed election dates. I don't think anyone really buys the spin about Parliament being dysfunctional, and even still, his law suggests that a vote of no confidence is the only way this Parliament should end before October '09.

It's also interesting that Harper is suddenly so desperate for an election. Is he aware of something damaging that might arise from the various investigations into CPC misconduct (Cadman affair, in-and-out scandal, Schreiber-Mulroney affair, the upcoming release of the book about the Maxime Bernier scandal). He could also be worried about momentum coming out of the upcoming byelections where Dion stands a chance of winning 3 of 4 seats, or Obama's possible win in November adding some liberal glow to Dion.

For my part, I quite like the Green Shift proposal (while not quite perfect, it'd still be quite good for the economy and reducing GHG emissions), so I hope that Dion is hitting his stride. I guess expectations are so low, that the public can only be pleasantly surprised when they get to know him better.

I don't think the Conservative will win anything more in Ontario especially anywhere near Toronto.

The Feds hate Toronto!...Ignore us at the least....

I don't think the Conservative will win anything more in Ontario especially anywhere near Toronto.

I didn't go looking for this but I thought it was a blatent slight on Toronto and the GTA by federal institutions.

From National Resourses Canada on population distribution and urbanization of Canada,
Not one mention of Toronto on the page. They say that Calgary has experianced greatest growth of any municipality in Canada. Toronto has seen 4 times the growth in actual numbers. In 5 years Toronto has grown by 45% of calgary's present size.
http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/engli.../population/population2001/distribution2001/1

From Statistics Canada on Largest urban areas in Canada
Toronto isn't even mentioned until the 4th paragraph. Toronto is mentioned 7 times Vancouver 18 times in the article.
http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census06/analysis/popdwell/Subprov4.cfm

Between 2001-2006 Ontario's population grew by 750,000, BC's by 200,000, Alberta's by 230,000

Vancouver's GMA grew by 140,000 people, Calgary's grew by 130,000 Toronto's grew by 430,000.
Brampton and Mississauga together had a larger increase in population than either the Vancouver or Calgary metro area.

Vancouver has the mountains and the oceans but Toronto is within a days drive of half the US population, 80 million Americans live within a 10 hour drive of Toronto. Within a 10 hour drive of Vancouver you can be in Boise Idaho.
Forbes picked Toronto as the 10th most economically powerful cities in the world and Vancouver was selected as the 6th most overpriced real estate market in the world.
Like is or not, and the Olympics won't change this, Toronto is Canada's premier city.
If Toronto is a poor man's New York, it is because the rest of Canada hates to see anything good go to Toronto.

Why do the Conservatives ignore us? Because they garner more votes in the west by doing it.

Its stupid because they would have to vote a century before you can win a Majority without winning Ontario or the other big cities or one of these.

Chicken and egg dilemma. The Conservatives won't invest in Toronto without the promise of an electoral return and Torontonians won't vote for them without them investing in the city.....

Chicken and egg dilemma. The Conservatives won't invest in Toronto without the promise of an electoral return and Torontonians won't vote for them without them investing in the city.....

Meanwhile all through the Chretien/Martin years, the Liberals took Toronto's votes for granted.

In terms of voting patterns, it's true the GTA was much more friendly to the Conservatives in the past, but the demographics of the GTA have changed so much that saying that the Conservatives were once competitive in Scarborough or Mississauga is now meaningless.

Twenty years ago the Conservatives won most of the seats in the 416 and even a rightwing extremist like Mike Harris won lots of seats in the 1999 provincial election. But the Liberal margin of victory is so big in most of the GTA that it's hard to see the Conservatives becoming competitive - even under the disastrous leadership of Dion. Basically Tory support is limited to exurban WASP seats in the 905 belt like Burlington and Whitby and *if* they pick up support in the GTA they could take seats like Halton, Newmarket-Aurora and Oakville.

In the 416 area code, the only seat that I could see conceivably going for some sort of red Tory is Don Valley West - a very rich, suburban riding with lots of WASPs - John Tory came reasonably close there provincially and might very well have taken it weren't for the religious schools policy. But the Libs are most likely to hold on there as well.

The NDP, meanwhile, could potentially win in Beaches-East York and could do well, but are not very likely to take, Davenport (that's more likely provincially). Parkdale-High Park will see a real battle (Peggy Nash is a strong MP and Cheri DiNovo won big there provincially, but Gerard Kennedy is a stronger candidate than Sam Bulte), but I expect Trinity-Spadina to be a real sleeper since the Liberals are stuck with the dreadful Tony Ianno and Olivia Chow is a quite well established as the MP.

John Tory came reasonably close there provincially and might very well have taken it weren't for the religious schools policy. But the Libs are most likely to hold on there as well.

No if John Tory lost there is no way a PC is going there.

You forget how Kathleen was able to get a massive turnout from the areas with all those apartments.

DVW is a pretty safe Lib seat - my point is if the Tories can take one seat in the 416, it's that one.

I personally think Tory would have narrowly won if it weren't for the religious schools issue - he lost a lot of upper-crust WASP votes in the riding that he should easily have taken.

I wonder what impact the Greens will have if they are included in the debates. Split the left? Draw from both sides of the spectrum? etc.

Let's not forget the Conservative Bill C-22 to increase BC and Alberta's seats in the house of commons by i believe 1/100,000 residents while increasing Ontario's by only 1/200,000 residents.

http://fairness.ca/c22/english/default.asp

If Bill C-22 is implemented (I don't know if it's passed yet or not), Ontario in 2011 would have 39.4% of the population of Canada, but only 35.2% of the seats in Parliament, a disparity of 4.3 percentage points. The disparity would increase to -4.8 percentage points in 2021, and -5.3 percentage points in 2031. What I don't get is why people don't care about this??? FYI the current disparity is -3.6 percentage points, so the Cons are making it harder and harder for Ontario to influence the composition of the Canadian government, knowing full well it's where Liberals have the most power.

Full figures at http://fairness.ca/c22/pdf/federal_billEN.pdf

Let's not forget the Conservative Bill C-22 to increase BC and Alberta's seats in the house of commons by i believe 1/100,000 residents while increasing Ontario's by only 1/200,000 residents.

http://fairness.ca/c22/english/default.asp

If Bill C-22 is implemented (I don't know if it's passed yet or not), Ontario in 2011 would have 39.4% of the population of Canada, but only 35.2% of the seats in Parliament, a disparity of 4.3 percentage points. The disparity would increase to -4.8 percentage points in 2021, and -5.3 percentage points in 2031. What I don't get is why people don't care about this??? FYI the current disparity is -3.6 percentage points, so the Cons are making it harder and harder for Ontario to influence the composition of the Canadian government, knowing full well it's where Liberals have the most power.

Full figures at http://fairness.ca/c22/pdf/federal_billEN.pdf

Agreed. It's a truly despicable move to undermine democracy. But won't this bill die if an election is called?

Back