News   Jul 31, 2024
 165     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 357     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 305     1 

1 St Thomas (Lee Development, 29s, Stern)

What's your opinion of 1 St. Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
493221477_03f926c5f7.jpg

From the Park Hyatt - a bit blurry due to the lack of a tripod or very good surface to sit the camera down on.

Oh, fudge. The massing at the top, the play between the light cladding and dark accents, the exterior walls and the colonnaded and open balconies, has totally won me over. This is the best historicist building to go up in Toronto in a long time, and probably will be for a long time too.

Dear Mr. Stern, I am sorry about the mean things I too hastily leveled at your fussy ole tower. Please go ahead and put up another one somewhere in town. North York would do. Hem in the Chedington, would you?

Love it.Just wish they would build more like this in Toronto.Stern and the Morgan are the only two historicist buildings that turned out really well.They look like they have been there for a long time.

I'll go out on a limb and say that I still don't like it. The glued-on black bay-windows, the balcony railings which remind me of faux-wrought-iron patio furniture, the little ventilation holes all over. it doesn't look old, it looks like it's trying to look old. It doesn't seem to have any strong design itself, maybe just a notch above 1KW. Instead, the design seems to be mostly dictated by maximising balcony space in a visually pleasing manner. That said, I think it's a positive addition to the city and the midtown skyline and adds some nice variety.

It is successful in what I think is one of the most important things in assessing a building: it is a complete picture. No "incomplete" elements destroying the design of a building with an ill-placed A/C unit or vent pretending to be a window.

Its taking forever to complete though!! Or was it because they started later than they had anticipated or hoped to?

p5

I like this. It seems coherent and consistent, with a bit of black contrasting to the overall white. There seems to be enough trim and detailing without being overly "fussy". I think it will be somewhat of a landmark in the midtown area.

This project is looking more like it was transplanted from New York every day. It will appear to have greater substance and less of a plasticy disneyland feel in ten or twenty years when it begins to age and become dirty... one of the few new projects that will look better with age.

I think so too. From a medium distance (like from Queen's Park), or even like the pic I took of it over Gardiner, it looks interesting, but the white/dark contrast is a bit much for me. It will certainly age well, or at least better than FCP.

I don't come from Toronto. It's a strange feeling, realising I've been here long enough to say, "I remember living on Charles Street when..."

Specifically, back when it was a kind of run-down varsity alley behind Bloor. Not... this.

Opulence naturally follows you about SNF. I didn't think you would be surprised by that!

Now that I see a photo of the building at night, I think it would be a nice place to add some sort of lattice mast or beacon on the top of the building. Perhaps a variation on the Canada Life weather beacon (maybe a beacon that tells time instead of the weather), or maybe just simply a flashing red light like at the top of Detroit's Penobscot Building.

Back