News   Apr 26, 2024
 647     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 231     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 714     0 

1 St Thomas (Lee Development, 29s, Stern)

What's your opinion of 1 St. Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This building is gorgeous. Will be great complement to the Uptown two blocks away.

1 ST Debate

It's incredible the amount of support this building continues to get on this forum. I am proud to say that I am not part of it. "Gorgeous...,†"something different," "details are amazing" etc. Mr. Stern, you couldn't have scripted it better.

I look at the same thing and I see competent execution but without innovation, something that is more of the same rather than different, a romantic interlude that is at best a design equivalent to a trace. But my view is the view of the minority here. What is the latest: this is at worse good architecture, and at best, it is building that is executed like few others - and now there are people that have flat out fallen in love with it.

For the few of us that cannot relate to this form of nostalgia for new traditionalism, as modern revivalism of some unspecified design precept from the past, we are left to scratch our heads at this acclamation, and hope that it is only an aberration.

Zephyr, there's no way to please everyone. What is "gorgeous" to me may very well be hideous to you. There's nothing wrong with that.

Out of curiosity, what would be your favourite recent addition to the Toronto skyline. I am not asking so that I can then tear it apart, rather, I am trying to see through the eyes of someone whose taste may be much different than mine.

I'm not objecting to or opposed to the building. I'm just restraining myself from using words like "gorgeous" or "amazing", except in very once-removed circumstances.

Maybe less a comment on the architecture, than a comment on the commentary...

For the few of us that cannot relate to this form of nostalgia for new traditionalism, as modern revivalism of some unspecified design precept from the past, we are left to scratch our heads at this acclamation, and hope that it is only an aberration.

Wow, enough with the histrionics, please! No one has claimed this building is groundbreaking, or harkens a new trend in architecture. People just like it, plain and simple. No crime in that, and it doesn't imply that those who do have inferior taste or intelligence, or don't appreciate a cutting-edge design too. Chill dude, and leave those hair follicles intact.

Zephyr, there's no way to please everyone. What is "gorgeous" to me may very well be hideous to you. There's nothing wrong with that.

Out of curiosity, what would be your favourite recent addition to the Toronto skyline. I am not asking so that I can then tear it apart, rather, I am trying to see through the eyes of someone whose taste may be much different than mine.

First of all, I agree with adma's reponse. But I will also attempt to respond to your request for my "favourite recent addition" as a courtesy. I am actually partial to several buildings in Toronto, if forced to list one, it would be at the following UT link, in Post #322:

http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=687&page=22

Wow, enough with the histrionics, please! No one has claimed this building is groundbreaking, or harkens a new trend in architecture. People just like it, plain and simple. No crime in that, and it doesn't imply that those who do have inferior taste or intelligence, or don't appreciate a cutting-edge design too. Chill dude, and leave those hair follicles intact.

If I may again disagree, there was nothing emotional or over dramatic intended in what you quoted from my comment. Ironically, I thought the comments which I placed in quotes, were in fact illustrations of over-reaction and hyperbole, and that is what prompted my comment at the time. My feelings were of puzzlement more than anything else, and as I reread them I am still surprised at what you saw in them.

Now, about that last comment of yours, the one I am responding to now. Look at those words: "Wow ... please! .... Chill dude, and leave those hair folicles intact." Don't you think all that is a little much? If I'm missing something here, tell me what it is.This seems to again be an illustration of what I saw before, only more personal in tone.

Thanks for sharing that. It just goes to show how every single building is so completely different. It's not about styles or eras really... it's just how each individual building resonates personally. (The conversation about the Sears building is a perfect example.)

First of all, I agree with adma's reponse.
Thanx--and going back to Goldberger's New Yorker review of Stern on CPW, notwithstanding Goldberger/Stern's past history, I actually do think he conveyed the "gorgeousness" (as opposed to non-quotes gorgeousness) of the effort quite well. I didn't see it as an absolutely unqualified endorsement ("unqualified", that is, to the exclusion of Meier or whomever)

Maybe it's something to do with how the practice of mainstream architectural criticism (or our reading thereof) has changed over a quarter century; that is, moving away from absolute last words, and t/w a sort of stylistic sociological commentary...

Good Stern Article - Refute his defence of himself!

Good interview with Stern from the NY Observer, defending his work to a skeptical arbiter. Sounds like quite a large new development he's now working on for Silverstein near ground zero. Always interesting to see his towers compared to our 1 St. Thomas.

Robert A.M. Stern, A Conservative in Manhattan
Robert A.M. Stern, the well-initialled dean of the Yale School of Architecture, doesn’t apologize for his chauffeur’s room at 15 CPW, his suede loafers, his fondness for the past or his designing for George W. Bush.

http://nyobserver.com/2007/robert-m-stern-conservative-manhattan

SitDown-RobertStern2H.jpg

I walk by this building every day, It's just beautiful.

Some updates from Today (October 30 2007):

1805785420_f8287a05a6_b.jpg

People have moved in! and started to decorate, You see the Book shelves through the window?

1805784108_bec886644d_b.jpg

The beautiful Formal Entrance way with new glossy Black Doors

1805782534_36556b6b09_b.jpg

The Entrance to one of the four Townhomes (with view to completely unfinished interior

1805781020_d1a6fac4e9_b.jpg

Archway connecting Townhomes and Condo-Tower (with that security guard always sitting there.)

1805779524_ce1b6fe5c8_b.jpg

Townhomes are slowly coming along with the complete limestone Fronts.

In my Opinion, these are some very very nice townhomes.. but I'd rather have one of the ones over at 100 Yorkville.

Strange how two paths can be in such opposition, because I go out of my way not to walk by this building.

And to think, there are so many here on this forum, and elsewhere, who are so willing to embrace this, while their real past has been systematically demolished over the years - some of which was well worth preserving. This will not bring any of that back, of course, and sorry to say, it will not set Toronto on its way forward either. But that is just my opinion, and only time will tell.

Back