News   Jul 11, 2024
 338     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 484     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 675     0 

1 St Thomas (Lee Development, 29s, Stern)

What's your opinion of 1 St. Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
John Bentley Mays also had a go at Stern in the Globe's Real Estate section on August 10th., should anyone wish to fish it out of the electronic ether:

"In our own Gilded Age, however, the architectural tastes of the ultra-wealthy have largely reverted to what they were a century ago: eclectic and historical, and fond of architectural effects borrowed from the ages before mass democracy and the modern style took root."

Mays agrees that Stern long ago ditched PoMo's sense of irony ( surely the only thing that made it significant? ) for what he calls "an art of inexact reminiscence" consisting of punchiness over subtlety.

Paul Goldberger Again!

Thanks adma - this material iillustrates how practised one must be to defend Stern's architectural path from PoMo through MoTra.* Taken together - the last post on a Goldberger from 1982,** with this one from 2007 - we get what amounts to an intellectual high-wire act. Goldberger's own integrity is at stake here, as much as that of Stern's legacy in the profession. Here is a sampling of my reactions:

Ubiquitous as glass condo buildings have lately become—glass is the new white brick—New York’s wealthy, unlike their Mies van der Rohe-dwelling counterparts in Chicago, have always equated stone with substance.

This speaks volumes to that prior "sidebar" about the Modernist bias of Chicago known to many vs the greater prominence, not exclusivity, of PoMo elsewhere. In this case, elsewhere is NYC, at least amongst those who are seeking, or living in, highrise luxury. I shall hold off on projecting this to any of the Toronto scene. That I will leave for others to work out for themselves, since my own position should need no further restatement at this point.

Today, if you want such luxuries as high ceilings and a dining room, an old building is pretty much the only place to find them. Forget Richard Meier and Jean Nouvel and their sleek glass condominiums: for connoisseurs of Manhattan apartments, the real celebrity architects have always been Rosario Candela, J. E. R. Carpenter, and Emery Roth, who designed the best buildings put up between the wars. ... Such buildings still represent the apogee of New York residential design. Brokers often mention Candela in their ads, because people will pay a premium to live in one of his buildings... (But) Candela has been dead for more than fifty years, but he should get at least partial credit for ... a new apartment building, designed by Robert A. M. Stern.

If I didn't know better, I would say that this borders on satire, it has all the elements ... but alas, it is not satire at all. What Goldberger is doing relates to acceptance of "sentimentality" and nostalga by Stern's clients and customer base, when once he rejected any architect that would knowingly do the same. Remember, we were assured that the "mature" Stern in 1982, had avoided this mis-step of falling into the throws of "sentimentality". This is more an assertion than a reality in 2007, because the dividing line is no longer explicitly given in this piece.

A building like this leaves you two choices: you can resist it or you can yield to it. On one level, there’s something unsettling about the whole thing—is costume-drama luxury the best that our new century has to offer? And what are we to make of the feeding frenzy surrounding it, in an already hypertrophied real-estate market? ... But the building itself is deeply seductive. ... This time, the assertion is not so hollow. Rooms are laid out in sumptuous procession around formal central galleries, and New York probably hasn’t seen such exquisitely crafted marble trim in a residential lobby since the days of Cole Porter.

What strange imagery, some may say lurid, in the words used to describe a Stern building's appeal: "resist it...or yield to it" and it is "deeply seductive." Perhaps, without realising it, Goldberger is indirectly admitting that he, and undoubtedly others, are being led astray from the challenges of the present and future in that quest for the "sumptuous procession ...(and) exquisitely crafted marble trim" that are part of the "costume-drama luxury" of Stern's re-creations. But I do not desire to denigrate Goldberger's many layered reflections, on full display here. I believe he knows the line is thin, and getting thinner, as he descends into the lure and pitfalls of his friend's work. PoMo was the path that Stern deliberately cobbled to arrive at his current penchant for replicating the past down to nearly every detail (save where modern convenience can be appropriately hidden, and brought in via the backdoor).

* PoMo and MoTra - are abbreviations for two terms coined by Robert A. M. Stern: respectively, Post-Modernism and Modern Traditionalism.

** Click Here to access P. Goldberger, "The Maturing of Robert Stern," New York Times, 4, April, 2007

I usually avert my eyes when walking past this vile confection, but I had to chuckle the other day - has anyone noticed the three sweet little demilune suicide ledges, approximately on the eighteenth floor?

I'm so in love with this building it's not funny.

(pics taken this morning)

DSCN0693.jpg

DSCN0685.jpg

DSCN0684.jpg

DSCN0683.jpg

DSCN0689.jpg

DSCN0681.jpg

DSCN0680.jpg

DSCN0675.jpg

Those details are amazing!

Your not alone I love everything about this one as well.

The irony is that this building feels bold in that it dares to be something other than a pastiche of mid-century modern, aka the Toronto box. Kudos for something different!

No comment from Urban Shocker?

shocking.....

as for myself personally. I'm loving this building.

Yorkville has amazing uniformity throughout IMO, even though the buildings seem to have a mish mash of styles..its a uniformity of "richness" and "bling bling!!". Hell even the homeless people in Yorkville are really shiney!

I was originally somewhat lukewarm on this but I take it all back. I've learned the important lesson to not judge a structure early in it's construction. Today, I really like it. Good materials, great design and and I love the attention to detail. I wish it were maybe 10 stories higher to give it a more prominent position on the skyline and so that it could have been admired from a further distance.

I'd love to see in the penthouse of this building, it'll probably going to be one of the most prestigious addresses in the city. This is faux done right, lets hope for even half of the attention to detail with Uptown and the Yorkville skyline will have some really nice variety.

Well, since the website no longer has any of the floorplans.... Does anyone on here? either have a saved PDF, or a link to where I could find them?

I love this project, I love Robert A.M. Stern, It would have been nice if this project was completely clad in limestone like Fifteen Central Park West, but its still absolutely beautiful.

The entrance looks stunning, really really perfect.

There are a few things I don't like about it, but in general it's much better than I was expecting and a fine addition to the area.

wish we could build a building like that as tall as uptown...

Back