News   Jun 28, 2024
 5.4K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 753     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will certainly add to the B&Y cluster. Imagine 1 Bloor, Uptown, Crystal Blue, BSN and Casa all going up at the same time. Great pano opp.

Which suburb? Well it looks rather like a taller version of something in Miss or some Eastern European country. ! Bloor East deserves a magical groundbreaking bold statement; not a skinny tower where ugly balcony railings dominate the design. Just look in any European town on SSC to understand what I'd build: Red Apple for example.

What a sad commentary that a builder from Kazakhstan will be the one to transform Canada's Yonge & Bloor. What does that say about Canadian developers and architects? It seems like a bunch of unimiganitive, timid woosies here at home don't have the balls. Instead, they'll just keep building monotonous, forgettable crap. (Or maybe they've all been too busy copying Times Square).

I'm not sure why it matters where or when an architect of developer comes from. So long as his or her firm wants to improve the athestic value of the city's public realm I'll be happy to welcome their contribution.

I'm not sure it is at all a commentary on the ballsiness of Canadian developers. Rather, a commentary on the international awareness of Toronto's real estate and development markets. Then again, it takes people who have been to other places to see what has been done. Perhaps Canadian developers should look beyond Vancouver and other North American cities and see, first hand, what other schools of thought are leading the way on the international scene. (Part of me thinks that already know that anyway).

I applaud foreign investors for seeing the potential that Canadian developers cannot. It's just really unfortunate.

This project will likely be built b/c the owner from abroad is very eager to make an impression in North America. Money doesn't seem to be obstacle.

How often do we hear this said about anything built in Toronto? This alone makes the project interesting in my eyes. Now it's true that money doesn't buy taste, but if the finalized design is good then this super-tall building should be quite something to behold...and at Toronto's 'most prominent' intersection no less. Yay!

Foreign investment is what helps a country grow. Look at China and Hong Kong - their growth got a HUGE boost from foreign investment. It works well both ways - the foreign investor gets a stake in it and Canadians get spinoffs. Those spinoffs include: creating jobs, improving the landscape, better buildings/facilities, financial impact on local restaurants/retailers and on it goes...everyone benefits. Foreign investment is key to success. Especially in a country like Canada - which has a small population. We'd be crushed without foreign investment. Something to think about.

Who's criticizing foreign investment? I'm certainly not. BRING IT ON!

I'm criticizing our home-grown "talent" for not leaping to build a landmark at Yonge and Bloor. This could have been the jewel in a Canadian company's crown. Instead, Canadians (for the most part) are building forgettable mediocrity.

And another thing... remember that Bazis rep who said something about Yonge and Bloor being a junky corner and everyone jumped on her... well I thought about, and I now think, "Good for you! You've got the balls!"

Go Kazakhstan! Show the Canadian woosies what they SHOULD BE DOING!

What I'm impressed about these foreign-funded developments in Toronto is that the developers have tried to fit their developments into the urban context (whether they are successful or not is debatable, of course). Bazis is not trying to turn Toronto into the next Astana, Kazakhstan... it's not going to raze an entire block to build a supertall tower in a park, but it is working with this constrained site to build something that fits the area.

Concord Adex is not out to build an ugly/tacky Hong Kong-style housing estate down at Cityplace or up in North York. It has employed Canadian architects and planners to design communities that suit Canadian tastes.

Companies don't want jewels and crowns. They want space at a reasonable price. This isn't 1880.

I would argue that. RBC is totally excited about their new building. They can't wait to show it off. I read on their website, it said something about wowing your clients and stuff with the views and the building itself.

This pic makes me think that a revamped Roy's Square may have been worth keeping. Oh well.

644562042_68530079a8.jpg

I can appreciate the importance of this tower, and I like the general look of it. but because it is situated on a prominent corner, my real hope is that it does something worthwhile at street level.

This pic makes me think that a revamped Roy's Square may have been worth keeping. Oh well.

644562042_68530079a8.jpg

It has a certain unintended charm but it very often smells like pee during the day which keeps me away.

Companies don't want jewels and crowns. ... This isn't 1880.

Huh? What? Wow.

I guess you don't work for or run a highly successful international company. Image is everything. The jewels and crowns are what it's all about. You don't think Bazis is constantly striving for more jewels in their crown(s)?

They want space at a reasonable price.

This sole and simple goal is for those who strive for short sighted mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back