News   Jun 28, 2024
 5.2K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 743     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am terrified that they are going to kick these "junky" tenants out and demolish the buildings only to have an empty, boarded up lot sit untouched for years (decades?) when they have trouble selling such a massive project.

I highly doubt it.

I feel bad for the current tenants, but really, will the city be losing anything when Roy Square disappears? It's not much of anything. Not even a square. Just a cheap, lazy attempt to do something with a couple of back alleys.

RoySquare4.jpg

RoySquare3.jpg

RoySquare2.jpg

RoySquare1.jpg

I feel bad for the current tenants, but really, will the city be losing anything when Roy Square disappears? It's not much of anything. Not even a square. Just a cheap, lazy attempt to do something with a couple of back alleys.

What's "cheap, lazy" in some eyes is "discreet, economical" in others. If it were named "Roy Mews" or "Roy Passage"--without the grandiose connotations "Square" drags up--maybe one might think differently.

In its way, it was a quiet victory of Jane Jacobs incrementalism, not overdesigned or too-cutesy or anything--though it may have taken some years and the RitzBiryani invasion for that to really be felt.

Oh, and re Winnipeg: how would a roundabout configuration help (or hurt) at Portage/Main?

Oh, and re Winnipeg: how would a roundabout configuration help (or hurt) at Portage/Main?

It would probably bring about a slight reduction in population until drivers got used to it.

Roundabouts practically eliminate the possibility of head-on collisions at intersections, so if there are accidents while people get used to it, they will nearly certainly be limited to far less lethal sideswipes. The population should not decrease.

Roy Square is a cute little part of the city, but at Yonge and Bloor, it doesnt necessarily fit in. Big, grandiose towers do. If Roy's Square was further down Yonge, and was slated to be built over, I think it would have been more of a shame. In it's current location - what is going in fits better than what is.

Shame that Toby's wont have a back patio anymore.

Roy Square is a cute little part of the city, but at Yonge and Bloor, it doesnt necessarily fit in. Big, grandiose towers do. If Roy's Square was further down Yonge, and was slated to be built over, I think it would have been more of a shame. In it's current location - what is going in fits better than what is.
Though maybe the disjunctive anachronism is part of its charm.

Beware the dangers of overfetishizing "fitting in". Otherwise, you might as well rid Lower Manhattan of the Fraunces Tavern block and its lessers...

There's a discussion on SSC about yet another render coming out. Possibly a different/taller version for 1 Bloor than the one below. Can anyone shed any more light on this?

1bldark.jpg

I was at the press conference when the project and rendering above were unveiled... at that time the builder and architect both noted that the design would continue to "evolve" prior to the project being officially launched. Details had still not been finalized with respect to the condo, the hotel and retail podium - therefore Bazis had planned to continue to tweak the design to suit their needs prior to going into sales in fall 2007.

Agreed. The fact that a 'tweaked' new rendering will come out, is old news. I would not expect many changes though.

Agreed. They'll be looking for an increase in the height allowed. And they should get it.

I talked with one of the restaurants in the 1 Bloor Street East area.
They have to be out of their place by mid-January. Demolition would likely start by March according to sources. If true, it would be completely demolished by Summer and digging would begin.

This project will likely be built b/c the owner from abroad is very eager to make an impression in North America. Money doesn't seem to be obstacle.

It would definitely spruce up the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back