News   Apr 25, 2024
 114     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last piece of equipment from the Bazis era leaves the 1BE site.

1bedead.jpg

Instead of engaging in speculation, I decided to contact Great Gulf to ask them what their intentions are after they acquire the site. I am waiting for a response. They may decide not to provide an answer at this time, as they may not know themselves precisely what they intend to do with the site. Of course, I may not receive any response other than a brush-off as they may prefer to make this information known only when they commence the plan/approval/variance process for whatever they do decide to do. However, "if you don't ask, you don't get" and so I've decided to ask and wait and see what comes of it . . .;)
Looking forward to hearing their reply. Maybe they'll throw us a bone.

There are likely concepts being bounced around at GG but I doubt at this point they have a solid plan for the site. I'm more willing to bet they'll be looking for a partner or now in consultations with a partner as to how to proceed with this site. There's a long road yet to be traveled here (again) and it's early in the game.

Whatever GG does here is not going to be leaked to us first. If they have to go through re-zoning to get what they want, we'll hear about via typical planning department notices, if they don't request rezoning, then the launch will be a very carefully PR stage-managed event.

To my understanding Great Gulf homes doesn't really specialize in high-rise communities... So, if they do try to build something big here I'm not sure how it's gonna turn out since they are new to that sector.... Am I correct on that one?

* That is if they DO decide to build something tall... I have doubts if whatever GG homes builds will ever be as tall as 1 Bloor...

To my understanding Great Gulf homes doesn't really specialize in high-rise communities... So, if they do try to build something big here I'm not sure how it's gonna turn out since they are new to that sector.... Am I correct on that one?

Maybe they don't specialize in 80+ storey condos, but then again, what developer in Toronto does?

Great Gulf's track record is quite strong with condominiums, such as The Hudson and 18 Yorkville and Saint James and The Morgan in the downtown. Then there are also condos further out...

Also, under construction is X-Condo, which is looking pretty awesome.

The Regency (in The Kingsway), and The Saint James (at Jarvis and King) both received an “A†rating from Architecture Critic Christopher Hume (is Mr. Hume active in this group? I am sure he gave them an 'A' but too lazy to double check those two). He also gave The Hudson a B+ (found the link for that one... here).

Pretty strong record, me thinks.

R.

M.

GG has the strongest record in town if you ask me. If anyone is capable if making something special and building it to the original vision, its them.

/\ Check the size difference on Google Maps. The Time Warner Center (which I like, despite the rather vicious criticism surrounding it professionally) is almost the size of the block from Yonge to Jarvis and from Bloor to Hayden.

Sorry PE, but pas exactement!

The Time Warner Centre north-south would extend from Bloor down to two fifths of the way past Hayden to Charles, and east-west along its longest southern edge would extend from Yonge to the east edge of BSN... or nearly halfway to Church.

While your estimation of Time Warner's Toronto footprint was a little more than a tad long and a mite skinny, your point is still valid: Time Warner would not fit on 1 Bloor's site.

Last edited:
yes Time Warner is quite a powerful and overwhelming edifice! I would give PE the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant to say Church St and not Jarvis.

Personally I dont see this site as big enough to properly host two towers... give us a monolith.

Time Warner or something to that effect would look good on the Dundas curve by Filmores

September 13

An empty, baron lot now. What we're likely to see now for some time to come.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back