News   Apr 26, 2024
 218     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 263     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 453     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BloorYongeSquare.jpg

one word .... "NO"

ditto cdr108 ...

I don't care what Toronto Public Space Committee wants, TPSC shouldn't be given an impression that have a say at this prime interesection ... the 1BE site is a perfect oppourtunity for an landmark tower with substantial height (if they can incorporate a small public square with it like Hullmark Centre, sure ... be my guest)

This is almost comical.

The site is owned by Great Gulf and they will put a condo on it as soon as they can (as they can't realize on their investment until they do). There will be no square, so move along people. There is nothing to see here. ;)

Spend your urban dream energy on something that has a chance in hell.

There's no reason why a new 1BE couldn't accommodate both an iconic (there's that word again) tower AND an integrated public space that's not just more mall.

Instead of engaging in speculation, I decided to contact Great Gulf to ask them what their intentions are after they acquire the site. I am waiting for a response. They may decide not to provide an answer at this time, as they may not know themselves precisely what they intend to do with the site. Of course, I may not receive any response other than a brush-off as they may prefer to make this information known only when they commence the plan/approval/variance process for whatever they do decide to do. However, "if you don't ask, you don't get" and so I've decided to ask and wait and see what comes of it . . .;)

For those who don't want a square, go to the TPSC meeting below and voice your opinion:

General Meeting & Bloor-Yonge Square strategy session

Description: Find out what we've been up to for the past month, what we'll be up to for the next month, and how you can get involved. Also! The latest strategizing and planning regarding Bloor-Yonge Square, including a report on our meeting with the BIA.

Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Time: 6:30pm-8:30pm
Created by: tpsc coordinators
Room: 302 (3rd floor)
Event Email: contact@publicspace.ca[COLOR="Purple"][/COLOR]
Participants: tpsc coordinators

Last edited:
For those who don't want a square, go to the TPSC meeting below and voice your opinion:

General Meeting & Bloor-Yonge Square strategy session

Description: Find out what we've been up to for the past month, what we'll be up to for the next month, and how you can get involved. Also! The latest strategizing and planning regarding Bloor-Yonge Square, including a report on our meeting with the BIA.

Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Time: 6:30pm-8:30pm
Created by: tpsc coordinators
Room: 302 (3rd floor)
Event Email: contact@publicspace.ca[COLOR="Purple"][/COLOR]
Participants: tpsc coordinators

Unless tpsc coordinators (who ever they are) have 55 million bucks, they are wasting their time.:rolleyes:

Unless tpsc coordinators (who ever they are) have 55 million bucks, they are wasting their time.:rolleyes:

By having a Green Mayor with a green agenda, the Toronto Public Space Committee (TPSC) could actually get their way in the end. Who knows, maybe the idea for a square is much farther along than what everyone thinks. TPSC had a meeting with the area BIA (Yorkville) and maybe they liked it and are in contact with Councillor Kyle Rae's office and the Mayor's Office to make the plan a reality. I would like to see a tall building at this corner as well but you should not underestimate some of these groups in Toronto!

Last edited:
They have as much chance of turning that corner into a park/plaza as they have with the north west corner (i.e. none).

By having a Green Mayor with a green agenda, the Toronto Public Space Committee (TPSC) could actually get their way in the end. Who knows, maybe the idea for a square is much farther along than what everyone thinks. TPSC had a meeting with the area BIA (Yorkville) and maybe they liked it and are in contact with Councillor Kyle Rae's office and the Mayor's Office to make the plan a reality. I would like to see a tall building at this corner as well but you should not underestimate some of these groups in Toronto!

Like i said 55 million bucks, OK i understand this group of folks want this almost bankrupt city to purchase this land with taxpayers money and turn it into yet another one of these mediocre squares that the city already does not know how to run.

Come on bring in a couple of tall mixed-use towers with some public space, and if indeed its true that Great Gulf has purchased this lot they will most likely come out shortly with their site plan and shut these people up that live in a bubble.

Last edited:
IMO, something tall has to go at yonge and bloor... Period...

A public park doesn't even suit for a busy intersection like Yonge-Bloor... It would be a huge waste of precious city space and the Park would be noisy as hell due to the traffic at that intersection... Not only that but the lot isn't THAT huge like that article stated... I wouldn't mind a 150m+ building at the least...

But the park is definitely better than the empty lot it is now...

Councillor Kyle Rae backed the 1 Bloor Street East project from the beginning in order to revive the corner so I am sure he'll continue to support a massive building on this site. Then again, Councillor Rae loves large-scale developments!

The chances for a block sized public square is probably slim to none - that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a redesign with dedicated additional public/quasi-public space. A sort of Galleria between the new building and Xerox might be nice.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back