News   Jul 12, 2024
 659     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 640     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 286     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it not as silly as it was 5 years ago?
I found Bloor busier this summer then it was in the past 5 years.

Although considering the situation that likely won't happen again this summer.

It's only a personal observation. I would suspect a combination of factors including,
- with the many stores, eateries & Roy's Square on the 1BE site now gone, there's less foot traffic
- with the Uptown/Backstage & Plaza cinemas gone there is far less foot traffic, especially notable at night
- many restaurants & pubs which relied on the cinema business in the area are now gone, or simply close down at night
- the area in front, and along side of the Charles Street Mall (is the Second Cup still even there?) has gone from awful to downright dreadful

I was thinking, perhaps for a few million, Bazis could "gift" the site to the city for the next 20 years, maybe as a Janet Rosenberg-designed city square/park like the one at 18 Yorkville?

Absolutely inappropriate for this intersection. It goes completely against initiatives to increase density on subway lines, the intersection of two lines at that. That and the land is too valuable to be used as parkland; which is not to say that I think parks aren't valuable, but rather that a mixed-use high-density structure is the most appropriate form of development here.

Absolutely inappropriate for this intersection. It goes completely against initiatives to increase density on subway lines, the intersection of two lines at that. That and the land is too valuable to be used as parkland; which is not to say that I think parks aren't valuable, but rather that a mixed-use high-density structure is the most appropriate form of development here.

Also, within several square KM of that intersection are some large and nice greenspace/parklands like Rosedale Valley Road ravine, Queen's Park, Ramsden Park across from Rosedale subway station, and Allen Gardens.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

I think it has more to do with developers waiting to see how many of their purchasers try to get out of their deals because the purchaser's can no longer obtain financing. This is happening a lot in Vancouver and also here. People who have lost their jobs or their collateral is now not worth what it was. It is prudent to wait and let the economy settle out.

That currently is not an issue in the GTA and the developers would have a number of avenues to chase purchasers for the money even if they tried to back out of deals (regulation in this area is much stronger in Ontario than many U.S. States). And price declines, while some small ones have occured aren't near the levels that they are in Alberta and B.C.... let alone the U.S.

That won't happen. Not at this intersection.

This is Toronto.. A city bursting with raw, living potential; more than any other city on this continent. But it is also a city also dripping in bad luck and a magnet for stupid things that keep happing. Stupid things like parking lots at Yonge and Bloor. It could happen here, it would not be out of the ordinary. However, I am positive that eventually, something magnificent will occupy this space.. But a parking lot in the mean-time is something I loath to expect, but almost expect to loath.

I'd say the land is perfect for a great public square, something which the country could admire. It's true that our urban planners call for high density at a place like this, but three corners of high density and one open, beautiful space would make the city more livable and really enhance the experience.

I think it's way too early to right this one off:

Yes Bazis is smelly
Yes Bazis is dirty

But even given that, I think there's still some hope ... or no hope for those that don't want this going through.

Please don't follow up this post by saying how they're in so much trouble / can't find financing / is already canceled ... yes yes I know.

Yes Bazis is smelly
Yes Bazis is dirty

But even given that, I think there's still some hope ... or no hope for those that don't want this going through.

Please don't follow up this post by saying how they're in so much trouble / can't find financing / is already canceled ... yes yes I know.

Why do you say that?

Why do you say that?

If you were to read most of the posts in this thread you'd probably reach the conclusion that's what most in this forum think about them.
:p

Not that I agree in any way though.

taal, below are your last 2 posts. Sounds like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. I've read all the posts in this thread and I didn't reach the same conclusions as you. Maybe you just have a wonky way of looking at things.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes Bazis is smelly
Yes Bazis is dirty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you were to read most of the posts in this thread you'd probably reach the conclusion that's what most in this forum think about them.

Not that I agree in any way though

Come again?

Last time I checked there was only one side to my mouth :p

I thought I was pretty clear.

1) I think we still may see this go up.
2) Most people don't really seem to like Bazis on this form and it takes a lot of criticism from many ... rightfully so or not ... hence smelly and dirty. Although I do not share this same view ... hence my previous statement.

Clear enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back