News   Mar 28, 2024
 28     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 532     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 345     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Yonge-Bloor

Sounds great, I pledge $33,689,990. Will you take a post-dated personal cheque?

A park is a great idea! Condos and offices and the Empire on the surrounding lands. The Xerox building is nothing to write home about.

There should actually be a real entrance to Bloor-Yonge subway, something architectually inspiring. (Notice that it is hard to find an entrace to the subway at the busiest stop in the system?)

A park? Here? Why don't we just "replant" Potter's Field?

This is where the subway crosses! No corner in the city screams DENSITY PLEASE! like this one. Put a park on the podium roof!

42!

yonge-bloor

>: The circuit boys had long since left 5 St. Joseph. When you need constant excitment, any place gets boring after a couple of years. Besides the circuit scene's been in decline for about 5 years or so. Get with the program, girl!

Agree with all. I wan't suggesting a full-blown park, but a treed square to provide some relief to the corner and give it some of the respect it deserves. A great lobby, with a prominant entrance to the subway makes sense here.

Burka Varacalli designed CrystalBlu for Bazis. I incorrectly stated way back in the tenth post in this thread that Burka Varacalli were also the designers of 1 Bloor E, back when it wa a Kolter project. It was Young & Wright Architects who designed 1 Bloor E actually. Renderings of their project can be found here.

I'd still like to see this thrown open to an international competition. This is a very important corner in this city, but you'd never know it from the buildings there... yet. Let's hope Bazis doesn't blow this chance to create a landmark.

Re: yonge-bloor

I must have been too busy going to the movies, the theatre the opera and the ballet to keep tabs on what the drug and nair set are up too.

Re: yonge-bloor

Why don't we just "replant" Potter's Field?

An excellent idea! Especially if we "replant" its former occupants.

Okay, not a park. A square. Because this IS where the subways cross, and a tower doesn't say "welcome to the middle of things"; it's just a wall in front of you at an extremely windy corner.

What we need is a square *surrounded by towers.* Or at least a tower with a setback and a majestic lobby. But just putting something really tall there is no way to mark such an important crossing.

Have the section 37 requirements already been paid? If not, I'd love to see a donation towards a Ben Kerr memorial for the NE corner.

Were we ever to be so fortunate that the owners of 2 Bloor E decided to remodel their ugly complex, it would behoove them to rename the public space outside as Ben Kerr Square - I agree.

I also agree with the Duke of Novelty Fashion's revision that 1 Bloor E should include a public square outside and a majestic lobby inside. This spot should be monumental.

I hate to say it, but someone tell Bazis that this is where they should be running an international competition - as Toronto's response to the Absolute success in Mistersausage.

Perhaps they could do the square inside the lobby? I'm thinking of the bamboo trees in the lobby of the IBM building in NYC...

Would a rezoning be required for the desired height? If so, I can see the city being VERY stingy about giving its approval unless it likes the architecture, a la the present Yonge-Gerrard ROCP3 proposal.

The developers-from-Thornhill bit reminds me of that Brad Lamb quotation about letting folks who live in mock-tudor mansions in the 905 reshape our downtown...

How about getting the devloper to expand and upgrade the Y-B subway station? God knows it's in need.

im sure they will ask for more height and will have to pay for it one way or another(sec 37).i do not see them using the original design.they should propose a 300m tower.

canuck 36,can we add this to the list

Mind you the "existing design" might be why Y+W were described recently (in a media release I think) as the architects for 1 Bloor East.

I vaguely remember that extraordinary project sleuth, famous for providing breaking news (and renders), posting the existing renders to some acclaim. Mind you that was decades ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back