News   May 21, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 667     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 507     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow you just don't stop, do you?

Look on the bright side... maybe they're setting up to put this festive piece in the centre of the flattened 1 Bloor site this year instead of right in front of The Bay.

DSCN2206.jpg

^ I used to like all the stuff they put on the sidewalk at Y&B, there was always something going on and there was always lots of free stuff. But alas no more. With the new landscaping of trees and benches there will be no more room. A little less animation traded away for some gentrification. Are we better off?

Oh, PUHLEASE, I endured 4 years of demolition while Wellelsey hospital was torn down, including their working on Canada Day. How about the gawdawful BEEP-BEEP-BEEP of a power shovel being backed off a float at 4 a.m.? Who you gonna call?

There is no noise enforcement in Toronto. There are bylaws, but that's pretty much it.

I think it's safe to say that they don't demolish buildings to appease "flippers", whoever they may be. They demolished the old buildings to make way for construction of the new building.:rolleyes:

Nope. Tax deduction. Might as well take it now because ain't nothing going there for a long time! Do your homework Observer Walt.

Quanttrader, perhaps it's you who should "do homework". Your earlier post appears to demostrate that you don't know much about Bazis.

To make it look this it's going ahead to the nervous flippers in there. Par for the course with this builder.

What do you base this statement on? Do you even know anything of their record? The only previous project Bazis has done in Toronto is Crystal Blu. It was sold in a normal way and is now under construction. 1 Bloor East also appears, so far at least, to be proceeding through the development process in the normal manner. If you have information to the contrary, perhaps you could present it. When you say "par for the course", precisely what "course" are you referring to?

I continue to be baffled by the gratuitous shots being taken at Bazis. I would prefer to give them credit for coming forward with a truly landmark mixed-use development, not to mention a major improvement to the shabby appearance of one of our most important intersections. Criticize the architecture if you like. (I myself think it's OK, although it went downhill a bit from the original proposal.) But I have not seen a scrap of evidence yet that the project won't be proceeding, or that it would be anything other than a positive addition to the city.

I have to agree with OW. People seem to be spiteful for the sake of being spiteful. Is it perhaps because there is resentment or jealousy in the fact that a relatively unknown builder (in this city) has successfully marketed a development that includes condos priced at more than 800 psf? The current global financial crisis notwithstanding, this prime location commands a high quality structure and any residential units included should fetch top dollar by local standards. This is exactly what has happened, and once the economy settles down, people will realize that the evolution of a project like 1BE is natural for Toronto. The retail, hotel, and apartments will come along in due course, and the project, in my opinion, will be a huge success. For the record, I also believe the architecture is quite good. The building is slim and elegant, without trying too much. The 'fin' on top suits the design, and the sliding glass for the enclosed balconies is a comparatively unique feature. Much of the building's final look will hinge on the effect it has, so there is some intrigue in that I don't know of any other building in Toronto that features 'lanais', but I give Varacalli credit for trying to make a statement and provide a realistic solution to weather related problems on balconies for a skyscraper. Compare this building's design with Aura, U, and 300 Front. Those are pretty slick designs, but not as innovative. My bet is 1BE will come out ahead in the end.

Nope. Ain't nothing going there for a long time! Do your homework Observer Walt.

Observer Walt has done his homework, as construction has started. It is the uninformed, and the poorly educated opinions, such as the one above, that are required to stay behind with the teacher and get some remedial help.

That laneway extends from the street to the TTC entrance. There was a previous one which ran north-south from Bloor to the TTC entrance. I have a feeling it was demanded by the TTC but I'm not sure. The TTC has a reputation for being very difficult to deal with. I don't know what they're going to do once construction starts. BTW, construction has not started.

There is a big "Do Not Enter" sign at Yonge which leads down to what was previously a laneway. I suspect for now it's being used only as an emergency exit from the Xerox building's retail area and will either be blocked off or redirected once excavation begins.

Yeah, it's hard to figure dt because there are already 2 exits from the Xerox building, one to Bloor and the other to Hayden. These lanes have been there from the start but I can't see them staying once excavation starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back