News   Jul 19, 2024
 685     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.2K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     2 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RE: Yonge and bloor - 80 stories

anybody count the floors? I actually came up with 80, but cursor moved a couple of times...

I don't agree with the above grade parking on the 3rd floor.

That looks to be a car dealership.

"That looks to be a car dealership." ..or a smart-car only parking :)

I like it better than Aura. But I agree with BC about the crown.

Didn't read all posts, just stopping by quickly, but is this definitely the latest design? Do we know why it's so different from the previous one?

Marginally less hideous?

Okay, given the 20ft podium floor height, we now have a reasonable height estimate. As you can see on the attached (annotated) image, if the three lower podium floors add up to 60 ft, then the total height to the tip of the roof feature is about 806ft (242m), with the highest residential floor reaching 717ft (215m), and the main roof structure reaching 775ft (232.5m).

I checked the residential floor heights at top and bottom, and there was no difference by pixel count, so this estimate should be fairly accurate.

Bill

edit -- I don't see how the residential section could be only 675ft high in that rendering, unless the podium floors are actually a bit less than 20ft. If they are in fact 19ft, then the ceiling of the top residential floor would be close to 675ft, by this rendering.

Some details from the press conference:

$450 million project, almost 80-storey residential, luxury hotel and retail development

1 acre site

Bazis has aquired 3 other prime sites on transit routes with future announcements to come.

The structures at Y/B will be torn down late this fall with a sales centre going up. Target to open sales in Feb 2008 with completion in 2011.

The renderings posted are NOT the final design. Roy Varacalli stated that Bazis is still working with the city and other groups. The design will continue to evolve.

Retail podium with 100,000 square feet of shopping on three levels. 20 foot ceilings to attact flagship international retail brands. A fourth floor in the podiume will contain a 'five-star' restaurant and lounge overlooking Yonge and Bloor. (podium is equivilant to 8 residential floors - when they say "nearly 80 floors" I wonder if they count '8' or '4' for the podium).

Direct underground access to subway.

Podiums roof level will be 'green' with a landscaped garden.

120 room, 5 star boutique hotel will occupy first 6 floors of the tower which will rise from the centre of the podium.

~500 units ranging from 550sqf to 10,000+ sqf for the penthouses.

7 levels of underground parking.

Crystal Blu is 80% sold, construction starts at end of April.

The tower will use previous zoning approvals, will still have to go through site plan approval. Height may have some minor changes but will be ~675 feet.

Previously approved application included $2 million for Bloor Street revitilization.

Many of the reporters questions focused on height... it got rather annoying. Kyle Rae seemed a bit aggitated after the fourth height issues question and responded that this isn't Caledon, this is downtown Toronto etc...

The prime reason why ~80 floors fit in ~675 feet was explained that the cinemas in the former application had very significant heights and that the additional floors were accomodated through not having cinemas (that and I suspect the double height podium is being double counted and through site-plan approvals that a minor variance will be granted for a bit of extra height).

Roy Varacalli had some interesting comments about the design - He noted that Toronto is sort of split east-west down Yonge St. and the tower speaks to that. There is a 'blade' running up the centre and the tower is not symetrical. The West side (viewed in the posted rendering) is 'more playful' and is curved and leans to the south. The east side has slightly different colours (both sides were described as translucent vs the typical green and blue condos). The east side doesn't have a curve to it and leans to the north.

Thanks for posting yyzer.

Much better than the previous rendering - and the only quibble is what others have already mentioned - the fins sticking up from the crown.

The top level of the podium seem to have some interesting cladding. Is it some sort of LED display?

AoD

I think in this case a crown is needed. I have no problem with this one.

I kind of like the crown...overall, reminds me a bit of the Ritz Carlton, with a dino-top...

n2m_stegosaurus.jpg

675 ft? just a lot of horseshit to keep the media from creating a stir and awakening nimbys.using the cinema floors as an excuse for the 80 story number is a good spin to the media who in turn will give the public a good spin.anyone else think this is over 800 ft?

The crown gives the distinct impression that the suites on floors 76-80 are reserved for Sauron.

Khazak kool comes to toronto.

I counted 78 stories, but it's very easy to be off by a couple. I have to admit that I liked the previous design better, and this one reminds me of Sp!re.
It sure looks higher than 205m, I wonder where we could get some official word on the height of this (little) monster...
and one more thing I noticed...is it just me, or the tower itself is a bit skinny? If it is..although it will be high, it won't leave a huge footprint on the skyline..

Bazis has aquired 3 other prime sites on transit routes with future announcements to come.

Oh sweet Jesus....8o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back