News   Aug 14, 2024
 992     1 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 746     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 575     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

GO to Allandale, then it's just a "little bit" of a walk 😁

Definitely get your exercise in.......

I just took a very crude measurement out of curiosity.

At average walking speed........about a 5.5 hour walk:

1723475710932.png

Google maps says 4.5hrs walk to the fairgrounds entrance - easy peasy compared to your estimate!

Alternately you could take the LINX bus to the "Lake Simcoe Regional Airport" and walk from there.. cuts your walk to a mere 35 minutes. But you would have to take a local Barrie Transit bus to Georgian College first then transfer, so a bit of a haul on the bus still.

Google Maps has it at around 4hrs one-way from Union:

I heard one last week for the Boots and Hearts country music festival. I thought to myself, isn’t that in Oro-Medonte? How is anyone supposed to take GO there?
https://bootsandhearts.com/getting-here/
... plan your ride to or from Allandale Waterfront GO Station...
Reminder that daily shuttles from Allandale Waterfront GO Station are available to and from the festival.
I've never been there, but it was the same deal a few years ago for a Rolling Stones show there.
Large events in rural locations often do this (chartered buses), particularly music festivals, sometimes even something like Nascar races.
https://www.sonomaraceway.com/media/news/nascar-bus-frequently-asked-questions.html

I've never heard of Mosport(C.T.M.P.) -- btw, former site of the above-mentioned country music fest -- having buses for any of its former music festivals or racing events. I think they always want as many people as possible paying to camp there for the weekend, so making it easy for large groups to arrive and leave on the same day with buses would be seen as working against that from their point of view.
Edit: I suppose it could be possible to walk there for an hour along a gravel rural road from the closest GO bus stop, but not a realistic option for most, who would presumably have to find some other non-public transportation ride.

Last edited:
Honestly the Simpli financial ads don’t bother me as much, they’ve been doing ads like that for years.

What does bother me is the OLG ad that is played over the PA system encouraging people to buy lottery tickets for a trip to the 2026 Olympic Games, and a free GO train ride, gambling should NEVER be played audibly over the PA system.

Such convoluted and creative travel arrangements. Boobs and Tarts Boots and Hearts has/had shuttles to the site from both Barrie (incl. Allendale GO) and Orillia.

I really don't see anything unusual about the festival advertising on GO. Unless it offends some corporate media standard, why would GO turn down their dollars. There's probably all sorts of products and services that advertise on the system that aren't immediately adjacent.

Service changes begin August 31st. It is mostly changes to the bus almost none for trains, post secondary service is back on the routes that need it most and that’s the only significant thing.

Service changes begin August 31st. It is mostly changes to the bus almost none for trains, post secondary service is back on the routes that need it most and that’s the only significant thing.

Hmmm.

I spoke to a CSA not that long ago who suggested there were a large number of service increases pending..........and that about 100 CSAs are currently idle.

Could be that increase will come later.........but he seemed to suggest the current job board had lots of additional trips.........

I've been trying to get additional detail, but w/o luck.

Hmmm.

I spoke to a CSA not that long ago who suggested there were a large number of service increases pending..........and that about 100 CSAs are currently idle.

Could be that increase will come later.........but he seemed to suggest the current job board had lots of additional trips.........

How much of GO's locomotive fleet is sitting idle?

Hmmm.

Send them to the RH line

Hmmm.

There’s nothing that I saw in the bus changes listed that would tie into any differences in the train schedules.

That said, Metrolinx is typically late with train announcements because it requires ministerial approval and opportunity for a government photo op.

There’s nothing that I saw in the bus changes listed that would tie into any differences in the train schedules.

That said, Metrolinx is typically late with train announcements because it requires ministerial approval and opportunity for a government photo op.
Most of the train routes have already got the new schedules up that are effective Labour Day weekend.. I don't think there's anything else to come at this period - except perhaps Milton or possibly Stouffville.

Most of the train routes have already got the new schedules up that are effective Labour Day weekend.. I don't think there's anything else to come at this period - except perhaps Milton or possibly Stouffville.

Good catch on your part.

Certainly doesn't look promising.

Assuming the CSA with whom I spoke was at least partly right, they seem to have a lot of staff sitting idle which seems to be a bungling of project completion times.

Its difficult to ascertain another explanation.

Back