News   Aug 09, 2024
 765     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 652     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 2.6K     2 

St Lawrence Market

When the pizza machine opened up and they installed a few tables, I thought it would be a lot better than before, when it was the personal parking spot for the owner of the furniture store that was there. Sadly, didn't work out. I lived right next to it and only got pizza once. It was not nearly as good as Bellisimos.

When the pizza machine opened up and they installed a few tables, I thought it would be a lot better than before, when it was the personal parking spot for the owner of the furniture store that was there. Sadly, didn't work out. I lived right next to it and only got pizza once. It was not nearly as good as Bellisimos.
I might have tried it but the reviews weren't raving, and we have so many other pizza options within about 10 minutes walking distance: Pi Co and Gusto 501 are my favourites, but there's also Bellisimos, Spaccio, Ardo, Cafe Oro, Uncle Tony's, Amano, District Pizza in the Distillery, that Italian place in the St. Lawrence Market. And the the chains are around too: Pizza Nova (actually pretty good), Pizza Pizza, Pizza Hut. Probably others I've missed. When Motorino Citta, Fusaro's and Mangi & Bevi were nearby the pizza options were even more insane. In retrospect, their closings might have been an omen that even though most people love pizza, they can only eat so much of the damn stuff.

I might have tried it but the reviews weren't raving, and we have so many other pizza options within about 10 minutes walking distance: Pi Co and Gusto 501 are my favourites, but there's also Bellisimos, Spaccio, Ardo, Cafe Oro, Uncle Tony's, Amano, District Pizza in the Distillery, that Italian place in the St. Lawrence Market. And the the chains are around too: Pizza Nova (actually pretty good), Pizza Pizza, Pizza Hut. Probably others I've missed. When Motorino Citta, Fusaro's and Mangi & Bevi were nearby the pizza options were even more insane. In retrospect, their closings might have been an omen that even though most people love pizza, they can only eat so much of the damn stuff.
Though it REALLY surprised me, I was introduced to Metro pizza last week and it is surprisingly good. They make it at the 'prepared food counter' and have three or four varieties - surprisingly good!

I've had it too, and it's quite passable. Better than most of the places where you can get a slice to go.

Pizza Forno is a little better than a frozen pizza from the grocery store. They have to make it better if they're going to really make it.

IMG_6106.jpeg
Don’t know if this has been shown yet. 1 August.

IMG_6109.jpeg
IMG_6110.jpeg
IMG_6111.jpeg

IMG_6424.jpeg
I guess that Queen East is St. Lawrence. Anyways businesses are continuing to pop-up along here in tandem with a lot of buildings opening in the immediate area. Here is Pan☕️Amor at 127 Queen East just west of Jarvis. Amazing croissants and coffee and great timing as I believe Mast Coffee was the only game in town.

IMG_6425.jpeg
IMG_6427.jpeg
IMG_6428.jpeg
IMG_6426.jpeg

Finally!

1723236833399.png

General Scope of Work

David Crombie Park General scope of work includes but is not limited to:

a. Demolition, excavation, and grading: Limited demolition. Excavation and grading including management of soils in accordance with ministry regulations.
b. Demolition and removal of small building: demolition and removal of small building with glass and metal structure that leads to underground route to adjacent school building across The Esplanade; building will be removed and capped with structural slab; no change to below-grade condition of tunnel connection.
c. Grading and drainage: Changes to grading and drainage piping in one block of the park. Most of park grading and drainage remains in existing condition.
d. Water Features: Refurbishment of existing ornamental water feature with new mechanical and electrical, new basin surround; refurbishment of existing wading pool with new mechanical and electrical, new paving.
e. Irrigation: drip and sprinkler irrigation for selected planters. Includes connection to existing water service and a backflow preventer.
f. Lighting and Electrical: new Toronto Hydro service in the park blocks to be provided by the City, new lighting and writing to be coordinated with new service panel install, one block has existing electrical service to be upgraded with new electrical cabinet. New light standards and feature LED strip lighting connected to new service.
g. Softscape: variety of planting including large caliper trees, standard caliper trees, and trees planted in soil cells, shrubs, understory planting, climbing vines, and sodded lawn.
h. Hardscape: High quality concrete paving, and a variety of paving materials and treatments including asphalt paving and unit pavers.
i. Play areas: two large playgrounds will be rebuilt with standard and custom play equipment including poured in place resilient rubber surfacing with subsurface drainage.
j. Indigenous Placekeeping Elements include carving of four cardinal-sign large boulders by an Indigenous artist, construction of a sunken sacred fire pit, application of stencil patterns created by Indigenous artist (the artists will chosen by the City in advance of the RFT and carried as a cash allowance)
k. Site Furnishings: install new seating (benches, tables and chairs, picnic tables) including seat toppers on existing concrete walls
l. Others:
• Cleaning and repair of existing concrete seat walls and concrete arches.
• Cleaning, painting and refurbishment of existing metal fencing and gates.
• Wood amphitheatre seating.
• Large granite boulders install.
• Other Site furnishings including city standard trash bins and bike rings

The Esplanade and Mill St. Connection General scope of work includes but is not limited to:

• Cycle tracks
• Pavement markings
• Traffic signal works
• Intersection upgrades
• Green infrastructure (i.e. bulb-outs with planting)
• Streetscape elements (i.e. seating, tree planting, speciality pavers etc.)

For Transportation Services, the project features an upgraded cycle track along The Esplanade, and a protected intersection at The Esplanade and Lower Sherbourne Street. It also includes right-of-way safety improvements such as raised pedestrian and bikeway crossings, curb extensions and corner radii adjustments along The Esplanade and on local streets (George Street and Frederick Street). . It will also upgrade the existing promenade walkways on the north side of The Esplanade and along Princess Street, where feasible.. All of this work is in the public right-of-way and integrated with the park design.

The TS project’s goals are to:

• Enhance safety for everyone
• Make walking, cycling and taking transit more attractive
• Maintain and improve access to local and citywide destinations

I'm particularly keen on seeing that irrigation will be added to selected planter beds. This is a very good way to ensure enhanced health.

It would have been nice to see it added for any larger sodded areas as well.

I'm particularly keen on seeing that irrigation will be added to selected planter beds. This is a very good way to ensure enhanced health.

It would have been nice to see it added for any larger sodded areas as well.
Many of the planter beds already have irrigation, it may need upgrading but some certainly do have it now.

Back