News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.5K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 676     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

You will not see any express trains in this area until mid to late 2025 with safety being the number reason since it is more rigid than construction sites. All work next to a live track has to be shut down with equipment moved away from the track with workers been well clear of the tracks.
This is not the case in this work.

So long as a hard delineation can be made - say, fast fences or jersey barriers - then the construction can go on without stoppages. That delineation separates the rail corridor from the surrounding corridor, and allows for general construction rules to apply, not railway ones.

Which is good, as there is a huge shortage of railway-certified construction crews right now.

Dan

Not often I ask for updates..........but I'm curious to know if anyone has seen the state of the Highland Creek culvert area work for the Stouffville line.

If the answer is yes, great, if not, perhaps @TwinHuey might indulge with a look-see.

Not often I ask for updates..........but I'm curious to know if anyone has seen the state of the Highland Creek culvert area work for the Stouffville line.

If the answer is yes, great, if not, perhaps @TwinHuey might indulge with a look-see.

I checked from the train earlier this week and didn't see any progress. I wonder if this work is even still planned for this year?

I'm pretty sure a new signal tower went up north of the bridge a month or 2 ago. Around that time we were discussing there being some construction activity over a weekend and I think after that I noticed the signal tower. I've been meaning to do my yearly flyover but haven't had the time yet.

IMG_7988.jpeg

Lakeshore East express in August.

They haven't put any of the new spans in along the Ontario subway corridor for them to run on yet.
They don't need to. The existing express track between Danforth and Guildwood is long enough for an express train to overtake a local already.

Perhaps I'm wrong, and there will be express Lakeshore East trains in August (or September). Time will tell - but I doubt there will be.

Time is very fluid in such a big project, and from the sidewalk it sure looks like much has yet to be done......but because shifting the GO tracks out of their current alignment is mission critical to making progress on the Ontario Line, I have confidence that GO will be back to three tracks sooner than later.

- Paul

Grading work for the second track has been completed in the vicinity of Downsview Park station, but it is positioned in a way that makes it unusable.
IMG_20240616_152604294_HDR.jpg

The station is designed for 3 tracks with two side platforms, so in the interim 2-track configuration there needs to be a gap between the northbound and southbound tracks, like at Rutherford.

You can see that the grading for the second track is not adjacent to the future second platform:
IMG_20240616_152612192_HDR.jpg

For the second track to be built where the grading was done the second platform would need to be extended east, but the bridge abutments over Sheppard Avenue recently built to support the second platform reflect the original design with space for 3 tracks, not a design with the platform shifted east. (See photos by @ProjectEnd ).

This is not really a problem but it means that the grading near Downsview Park station has effectively not been done because it will need to be redone in the correct location before the second track can be installed.

Last edited:

Back