News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 345     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 910     1 

East Don Trail Project

Yes that would be the location, it would be a shame if there doesn't end up being a way to cross Eglinton here without having to divert to an existing traffic signal.

The plans called for a new signal that last time I checked. The project was awaiting Crosstown firmly committing to being done here.

I ran up the trail from the south today as far as the first bridge. This has been here incomplete for years. I know they are working on the tunnel and bridge crossing the Metrolinx line further north but it's sad they can't just complete the section so it's more usable. This almost feels like the Crosstown of rec trails (I kid)

1000014345.jpg

Last edited:
The ramp structure is ridiculous in its proportions. Mx really should be chastised no end for imposing this nonsense. The service frequency on the Bala can work just fine with an at-grade crossing with lights and cross-bars. .

If it works at Pottery Road, it should work there. Just put the spike mats at either side and fence off the ROW.

Sometimes I think Metrolinx hates active transportation and does all it can to block it.

I am sure there are lawyers whispering in their ears incessantly about liabilities - real or perceived. After all, if the general public cannot be trusted to make educated decisions about pulling a Calvin and Hobbes on any snow covered slope in the GTA, how can we trust them to make decisions about an at grade crossing on a single track currently experiencing a lower level of use. But possibly, just possibly.....they are thinking of the future, twinning the track, introducing 15 minute service to somewhere, running Via express up and down the Valley, maybe a 'Valley Express' LTR line...or possibly not. It is the eve of St Patrick's Day after all, and leprechauns and fairey magic abounds, along with a dram or two of Redbreast or Jameson's or Bushmills, or all three. Enjoy your dram, enjoy the day, and hopefully in a year or two as nature begins to reassert itself around the site, we won't be dealing with controversy because the ramp grades are too steep, the corners too abrupt, people are suing for any manner of things and the whole pile is closed as a danger to the general public while studies are conducted on what to do next. O'l Suas!

Last edited:
Would it not have made more sense to combine the river bridge and this bridge together and have a gradual grade go up from before the river? Rather than this monstrosity?
The geography in that area is all wrong for what you propose.

The trail is just above the river level, and the tracks sit another 15 to 20 feet higher than that.

To make it a straight ramp up and over the tracks (plus their own clearances), and still maintain an appropriate grade, you would have had to start from the previous bridge over the river.

Thinking about those grades now, all of a sudden an overpass makes sense here. A tunnel under the tracks would have put the floor just above the spring water line - it would have made it a potential target for scour and erosion.

Dan

I am sure there are lawyers whispering in their ears incessantly about liabilities - real or perceived. After all, if the general public cannot be trusted to make educated decisions about pulling a Calvin and Hobbes on any snow covered slope in the GTA, how can we trust them to make decisions about an at grade crossing on a single track currently experiencing a lower level of use. But possibly, just possibly.....they are thinking of the future, twinning the track, introducing 15 minute service to somewhere, running Via express up and down the Valley, maybe a 'Valley Express' LTR line...or possibly not. It is the eve of St Patrick's Day after all, and leprechauns and fairey magic abounds, along with a dram or two of Redbreast or Jameson's or Bushmills, or all three. Enjoy your dram, enjoy the day, and hopefully in a year or two as nature begins to reassert itself around the site, we won't be dealing with controversy because the ramp grades are too steep, the corners too abrupt, people are suing for any manner of things and the whole pile is closed as a danger to the general public while studies are conducted on what to do next. O'l Suas!
Yeesh, can you imagine a world without lawyers?!

wwol.jpg

If it works at Pottery Road
I would not argue that said crossing “works”. I wonder about how to make it disappear every time I travel over it. Sadly thanks to the many constraints in the area, it will likely never happen.

Reactions: DSC

Back