News   Apr 25, 2024
 357     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto Bike Share

Front Page story about the expansion is up.

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2018/08/bike-share-toronto-growing-90-new-stations-1000-new-bikes

71/90 new stations have apparently been installed.

Map here:

33582-114607.jpg

As per our intrepid reporter @interchange42

The remaining stations this year will be allocated as follows:

• Ward 21 St Paul's – 2 stations
  • Ward 22 St Paul's – 6 stations
  • Ward 25 Don Valley West – 3 stations
  • Ward 27 Toronto Centre-Rosedale – 3 stations
  • Ward 28 Toronto Centre-Rosedale – 5 stations
I'm selfishly a little disappointed, as the east end obviously remains incomplete.

But I can hardly deny any other areas this service, or the infill stations to meet demand.

I look forward to next year's expansion hopefully finishing the east end in East York, and along Gerrard, Kingston Rd, Coxwell, Woodbine and Main. (I've been told this is on the plans)

Presumably some other logical add-ons will go next year as well (though i don't know this).......The Junction, and High Park itself.

Last edited:
And as a WestEnder, I totally agree re: High Park… and more: there's be more expansion needed for years. Essentially the system has grown 33% larger this year, which is amazing, but that will be difficult to repeat every year for the next decade…

and let's keep going!

Damn, if only that bikeshare station at Donlands & Cosburn had been there when I lived there. Would have been super handy for getting to Donlands Station. There was already bikeshare station at Donlands Station, but no other station to ride it to/from.

I'm also disappointed that the east isn't getting at least 1 or 2 more this year. The Riverside/Leslieville stations are almost always completely full during the evening rush hour. There's a noticeable hole in the map around Dundas/Carlaw/Gerrard that I'm sure many of the condo owners and gym users would use a lot.

The expansion into the suburbs is becoming Scarborough Subway-esque, which is no surprise for Toronto. The fact that Carlaw/Dundas-Gerard area (or the Junction) has no stations while there's a station at the northern end of Chaplin Crescent is absurd.

The expansion into the suburbs is becoming Scarborough Subway-esque, which is no surprise for Toronto. The fact that Carlaw/Dundas-Gerard area (or the Junction) has no stations while there's a station at the northern end of Chaplin Crescent is absurd.
Easy there.

That north-end of Chaplin is at the entrance of the Beltline Trail, which certainly has more daily cyclists than East York. It is an isolated station at the moment but likely won't be in the future. There could be reasons why it was prioritized that we don't know about, such as ease of installation. It is a bit hyperbolic to begin calling expansion Scarborough subway-esque.

I'm also disappointed that the east isn't getting at least 1 or 2 more this year. The Riverside/Leslieville stations are almost always completely full during the evening rush hour. There's a noticeable hole in the map around Dundas/Carlaw/Gerrard that I'm sure many of the condo owners and gym users would use a lot.

Said noticeable hole at display here:

upload_2018-8-17_9-55-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-17_9-55-57.png
    upload_2018-8-17_9-55-57.png
    267.9 KB · Views: 495
And as a WestEnder, I totally agree re: High Park… and more: there's be more expansion needed for years. Essentially the system has grown 33% larger this year, which is amazing, but that will be difficult to repeat every year for the next decade…

and let's keep going!

The west end is grossly underrepresented as usual.

Still seeing Bixi bikes out at Marie Curtis park though - which means there is demand where there are no stations.. Surprisingly in Etobicoke Lakeshore.

The west end is grossly underrepresented as usual.

Still seeing Bixi bikes out at Marie Curtis park though - which means there is demand where there are no stations.. Surprisingly in Etobicoke Lakeshore.
I'd just preach patience. I doubt that the west end is going to be ignored indefinitely. They haven't even adequately serviced Parkdale or High Park yet.

Humber Bay Shores is another area where I would just place an armada of Bixi Bikes at.

Front Page story about the expansion is up.

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2018/08/bike-share-toronto-growing-90-new-stations-1000-new-bikes

71/90 new stations have apparently been installed.

Map here:

33582-114607.jpg

As per our intrepid reporter @interchange42

The remaining stations this year will be allocated as follows:

• Ward 21 St Paul's – 2 stations
  • Ward 22 St Paul's – 6 stations
  • Ward 25 Don Valley West – 3 stations
  • Ward 27 Toronto Centre-Rosedale – 3 stations
  • Ward 28 Toronto Centre-Rosedale – 5 stations
I'm selfishly a little disappointed, as the east end obviously remains incomplete.

But I can hardly deny any other areas this service, or the infill stations to meet demand.

I look forward to next year's expansion hopefully finishing the east end in East York, and along Gerrard, Kingston Rd, Coxwell, Woodbine and Main. (I've been told this is on the plans)

Presumably some other logical add-ons will go next year as well (though i don't know this).......The Junction, and High Park itself.

Heres a higher quality version of that image

33582-114607.jpg

It is called Toronto Bike Share but why is it mostly south of Eglinton? No wonder suburbs start at Eglinton...
Perhaps because Toronto Bike Share is still relatively new and not in a coverage expansion phase yet?

Also, the lack of cycling infrastructure north of St Clair, and current construction mayhem along the entire Eglinton corridor are probably directing early expansion needs to the east and west ends first. Plus you encounter less changes in grade when traveling east/west than you do north/south, which is one more reason why expansion that direction is not yet occurring.

Bixi is not even in the Junction yet, and a year ago barely had a presence on the east side of the Don River. I'd say it is expanding healthily at the moment and steadily building the base demand and infrastructure needed before expansion to the rest of Toronto can be contemplated.

Honestly, I see it more likely that Bixi expands into Guildwood area of Scarborough and South Etobicoke before you see Bixi in places like York or north of Lawrence.

Perhaps because Toronto Bike Share is still relatively new and not in a coverage expansion phase yet?

Also, the lack of cycling infrastructure north of St Clair, and current construction mayhem along the entire Eglinton corridor are probably directing early expansion needs to the east and west ends first. Plus you encounter less changes in grade when traveling east/west than you do north/south, which is one more reason why expansion that direction is not yet occurring.

Bixi is not even in the Junction yet, and a year ago barely had a presence on the east side of the Don River. I'd say it is expanding healthily at the moment and steadily building the base demand and infrastructure needed before expansion to the rest of Toronto can be contemplated.

Honestly, I see it more likely that Bixi expands into Guildwood area of Scarborough and South Etobicoke before you see Bixi in places like York or north of Lawrence.

Yeah. South Etobicoke has a cycling culture and some cycling infrastructure and would be an ideal place for expansion, including the GO stations at Mimico and Long Branch. It could probably go north as far as Kingsway Village (Old Mill, Royal York and possibly Islington Stations), and include the Stonegate Plaza redevelopment and the lower Humber trail.

I would still like to see bike lanes along the entire route of Lake Shore Boulevard from Royal York to Mississauga (right now they're only between 22nd Street and Brown's Line) because while there is the "Waterfront Trail" to the south, it's littered with stop signs, and there's a few sections without sidewalks. Lake Shore is a faster route, and more direct for more people.

Back