News   Jun 25, 2024
 936     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Toronto Bike Share

More new outposts today:

Pape/Fulton (just south of Mortimer)
Donlands/Cosburn

Also want to add that I'm pleased to say Bikeshare responded to my concern about the imbalance of bikes on the Danforth; far fewer stations were out of bikes today.

Had my first negative experiences in the last few days. Wednesday, rode from Union to Parliament and Carlton, arriving at 6:30pm, all docks full, checked the app, all docks nearby full. Rode to Riverdale Farm to an empty dock. This morning, rode from home to Union, all docks full.

Where could even be conductive to a bike share program in YR? Only places I could think of that would have even a low level of demand to justify it would be the Downtown Markham / Unionville area, and MAYBE Thornhill / old Newmarket.

I'd love it if there were Bikeshares available at my (occasional) office on Allstate Pkwy in Markham (across from Seneca campus). There's nowhere to eat in this office complex, especially after the Tim Horton's closed. I used to walk to Woodbine, First Markham Place, etc., for lunch but I rarely have time for that on most visits. I'd love to be able to go for quick lunchtime rides.

I'd also love it if the 'burbs around Toronto had Bike Share systems that were integrated with Toronto's. Like a whole regional system. Was just talking with a co-worker here in "downtown" Mississauga while drafting this email about how great it would be to have a Bike Share here.

As for York Region, I could see potential for Unionville, RHC, VMC and Thornhill. The latter in particular with future connections to YNSE at Clark, Concord GO and Steeles LRT/BRT. Thornhill will need these connections given the massive redevelopment proposed at Promende.

A station was added near Yonge and Eglinton just now!!
I'm finding expansion to suburbs/north york a bit crazy given that very very few people can climb up the hill to uptown on these bikes. I guess they (plan to?) have a system to actively transport and redistribute bikes back up north.

I guess they (plan to?) have a system to actively transport and redistribute bikes back up north.

I wouldn't be too optimistic. It'll probably be a lot of this

upload_2018-8-9_14-19-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-9_14-19-1.png
    upload_2018-8-9_14-19-1.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 440
A system in North York will almost be in its own zone north of the 401 in between Yonge and Don Mills and along Sheppard.

A system in North York will almost be in its own zone north of the 401 in between Yonge and Don Mills and along Sheppard.
I could probably get from Yonge/Eglinton to Yonge/Sheppard in under 30 mins on a Bike Share, but wouldn't want to try conquering the York Mills hill on one of those heavy bikes.

Back