News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 299     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 845     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

For those that are interested here are a couple of links for bridge status on the Welland Canal. So everyone can understand how busy the canal is when the Seaway is not frozen over

http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/R2/jsp/R2.jsp?language=E&loc=NiaBrdgStatus.jsp
http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/en/navigating/map/index_wel.html

Thanks for the links. If this morning is a typical day (I've refreshed a couple times over the last 3 hours) it would seem Metrolinx ought to be able to schedule 1 or 2 guaranteed 10 minute windows per hour for their bridge. So long as they're scheduled in advance and part of the seaway schedule, the boats ought to be able to time their arrival around it so nobody is delayed.

It’s more complicated than that. The issue being the manoueverability and accel/decel characteristics of the boats and where they would have to hold if they don’t have a clear route into the locks, leading to a longer entry period (upbound) and ( downbound) the cascading effect of not being able to ‘turn back’ (refill) the lock for the following boat until the first one has fully left the lock.
Not saying it’s impossible but the curfew window for vessels is longer than just the time to lower the lock, clear the train, have it pass, and raise the bridge again.

- Paul

Interesting.

If it was going to be cancelled I imagine that the ministry would not have allowed the RFP to close.

Notice that this is the first news release from IO since the election.. Perhaps the gears are starting to turn again on RER now that the transfer of government has been completed?

I've always thought the whole Procurement Process was super Conservative-friendly so maybe this stuff will get through . . .
I think you might be confusing "Business Friendly" with "Conservative"...no? Quite a few very well established and successful corporations have trepidations about the Ford Transit Van handling the deliveries. Like Trump, he's far too irrational for a sustained and predictable business model. Grownups prefer Grownups, and that's not Ford.

Stouffville line passengers: Beginning today, and continuing each day until Friday, August 17, track construction will be taking place between Scarborough and Kennedy GO Stations. Trains will need to operate slower than normal through the work areas, and delays of up to 10 minutes are possible along the entire line.

Is this related to the double tracking?

The subject of the tunnel at the Ex came up again on Twitter so I took the opportunity ask AMA some questions:

upload_2018-8-13_16-4-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-13_16-4-33.png
    upload_2018-8-13_16-4-33.png
    123.1 KB · Views: 423
I still wonder how people will access the expanded service. When I took a Stouffville midday train a few months ago, there were very few spots in the lot. By the same token, the train was a ghost town inside. I am thrilled about more trains, but frankly they will be useless without robust local BRT, fare integration, viable cycling connections (and bike storage), and high density development surrounding each GO station.

Back