Toronto College Park Revitalization with Barbara Ann Scott Skate Trail | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | RAW Design

find a way to build a park without paving half of it in concrete slabs?

It's one of my pet peeves about Canadian cities in general. I've always hated concrete pavement. They look as ugly as they are cheap and don't allow easy access to what's underneath. Many places are opting for better quality and much more attractive blocks. I'm very surprised that concrete is still being viewed as acceptable pavement in Toronto.

If we're serious about building a quality public realm something like this below needs to be the minimum standard.

IMG_3454.jpg

Courtesy of archpaper

Last edited:
it looks nice because it's all new concrete - give it 3 years, the whole thing will be one giant mass of grey concrete and depression.

You're too generous - it doesn't even look nice now. It only looks good only from afar. Then again, it's a fitting end to this block of substandards and wasted opportunities.

find a way to build a park without paving half of it in concrete slabs?

Indeed - the new Regent Park has the same problem as well (ditto other examples such as HtO, Lisgar!! Park).

AoD

It seems like the city is trying to build public squares but they have no idea how to do it and how to animate them with a focal point/gathering area. The scattered seating is their first mistake! The new Regent Park also has this same problem in their hard surface, public square-like area. It is almost never used by the public because it lacks animation/focus.

Too much concrete here. Not enough granite/stone. Not enough trees either. Cheap materials don't make enduring parks or an enduring public realm in general.
Since this park is built on top of a parking garage/loading docks it probably cannot support trees (or not give enough room for their roots).

Too much concrete here. Not enough granite/stone. Not enough trees either. Cheap materials don't make enduring parks or an enduring public realm in general.

You don't even need granite/stone - good concrete pavers works just as well for neighbourhood (vs. destination) parks.

AoD

Not advocating for any hardscaping treatment here but do an experiment yourself this year. Lay three small areas each of poured concrete, concrete paving stones, and cut stone. Try removing ice from each with and without a salt base. Your hatred of poured concrete will dissipate rapidly.

Repeat for drainage issues, impact of tree roots, weed growth in a pesticide free environment etc.

Not advocating for any hardscaping treatment here but do an experiment yourself this year. Lay three small areas each of poured concrete, concrete paving stones, and cut stone. Try removing ice from each with and without a salt base. Your hatred of poured concrete will dissipate rapidly.

Repeat for drainage issues, impact of tree roots, weed growth in a pesticide free environment etc.

In respect of snow removal you have a point. But may I offer a counter?

You can use a snow melt system (radiant heat) under paving stones or permeable brick.

or maybe they could just pipe the heat from the underground structure to help de-ice in winter? Crazy expensive?

Anyway my point was that there are many perspectives to consider. It’s fine for me to admire the small little pavers on the streets of Prague on vacation but hypocritical for me to demand someone do the same here considering I’m seriously considering ripping out pavers myself and replacing them with poured concrete for ease of maintenance.

Back