News   Apr 26, 2024
 200     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 261     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 452     0 

Orangeville-Brampton Railway (OBRY)

If they ever wanted to restore rail service to that area, the CP ROW is certainly in much better shape than the CN line to Owen Sound (which was apparently almost acquired by the GEXR, but that deal fell through and the rails were ripped up). The biggest reason for the demise of both lines was a decline in ship traffic into Owen Sound during the late 80s. I doubt there's a business case to re-establish any rail service to that area right now, although the foamer in me wishes they would.

Interesting that the County has retained ownership of the ROW. I wonder if that includes within the City of Owen Sound, because I think I have noticed that a lot of the ROW has been built over. I also wonder what the status of the ROW is in Dufferin County. I thought I recalled that at least part of it was purchased by a private entity to support a failed (for now?) aggregate pit but I don't know of its current status.

The most built over parts of the ROW are in Dufferin County, but these could be fixed easily (as in just clear a bit of farmland). I do not recall the so called "mega quarry" buying part of the line (although they did state their intention was to use rail service). Significant local opposition derailed this project and I think they gave up the ghost a quite a while ago...

If they ever wanted to restore rail service to that area, the CP ROW is certainly in much better shape than the CN line to Owen Sound (which was apparently almost acquired by the GEXR, but that deal fell through and the rails were ripped up). The biggest reason for the demise of both lines was a decline in ship traffic into Owen Sound during the late 80s. I doubt there's a business case to re-establish any rail service to that area right now, although the foamer in me wishes they would.

The most built over parts of the ROW are in Dufferin County, but these could be fixed easily (as in just clear a bit of farmland). I do not recall the so called "mega quarry" buying part of the line (although they did state their intention was to use rail service). Significant local opposition derailed this project and I think they gave up the ghost a quite a while ago...

Didn't know about GEXR and CN, neat info. Actually, the entire corridor from Orangeville to the outer limits of Owen Sound is intact. It was given by CP to Trans Canada Trail, who declared it surplus and donated it to the counties. Before abandonment, the Midwestern Ontario Railway tried to buy the line, but the deal fell through due to taxes owing in Mississauga. Evidently, the agricultural business along the line was enough to justify keeping the rails down.

Sadly, other branch-lines like the Walkerton Sub were sold off, and today my family owns a portion that runs through my family farm. CP didn't get around to selling it off until 2002, even though the line was abandoned in 1985.

In around 2009-2012 North America's second largest gravel pit, dubbed the Mega Quarry was proposed in Dufferin County. The plan was to restore the entire line, and run around 20 trains per day (leaving the quarry). Highland Companies, the proponent, actually paid taxes on the OBRY for a few years in anticipation of purchasing the line. Sadly the proposal died when Highland (thankfully) pulled its quarry application.

It would be awkward for Ontario to proactively (even as just a hint for the future) land bank a line for GO service unless they are committed to seeing development in that area.

Yes, I know Orangeville is growing anyways - but it's outside the Greenbelt. Can't necessarily stop Orangeville from doing its own development strategy, but it's another thing for the Province to be enabling a bedroom community.

I'm told that one of the issues that sealed Cando's decision to drop the line was when Orangeville chose to rezone a lot of the land close to the railway for residential development. Despite the Mayor's comments in the article, Orangeville appears to be discouraging industrial growth. Reportedly one OBRY customer who wanted to enlarge their factory was denied permission to do so. The message that sends is, don't expect the rail freight business to improve. No up side, no reason to hang around.

- Paul

I don't think it's viable for GO service, nor would it ever be, especially north of King Street.

The good news is that the Town of Orangeville owns the corridor, so it is already in public hands.
I don't think viability for GO service should be the only reason for Metrolinx to assume a heavy rail line, especially one the south end of which runs between two GO lines (and could connect them in at least one possible configuration). If Metrolinx could buy the Obico spur and the Don Branch they can buy this. On the other hand the thought of being rid of the Brampton diamond is probably attractive in some quarters.

I'm told that one of the issues that sealed Cando's decision to drop the line was when Orangeville chose to rezone a lot of the land close to the railway for residential development. Despite the Mayor's comments in the article, Orangeville appears to be discouraging industrial growth. Reportedly one OBRY customer who wanted to enlarge their factory was denied permission to do so. The message that sends is, don't expect the rail freight business to improve. No up side, no reason to hang around.

- Paul

OBRAG's and the town's persistent meddling certainly didn't make Cando's decision to walk away any harder.

But the real reason is frankly economics. They can provide and run a switcher at an industry with less staff and headache - and liability - and make more money than operating a shortline such as the OBRY. This is the real reason why they're pulling out.

And for that same reason, the writing is on the wall of the BCRY in terms of their operation up there as well.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

What is your reasoning for this?

As I've said many times before, the track is in relatively poor shape, which is just fine for freight operations and excursion trains where nobody is in a hurry, but inadequate for useful passenger rail. Buses on Highway 10 will provide faster service, even with moderate upgrades.

The last passenger service was in 1970. The track itself not only needs to be rebuilt, there are many unprotected crossings that need to be upgraded, and all railways that GO operates on are equipped with bells, lights and gates. Not one crossing of OBRY has gates, though all south of Mayfield Road are equipped with basic signals. And the track north of King Street is winding, with several old overpasses that might need to be replaced.

^I was led to believe there are now four intersections with gates, and more on the way. One of the expectations of any new operator is said to be a fairly hefty level of diligence around crossing maintenance. That's another cost item that affects this line. When you install gates, the operator has to be able to respond promptly when the gates malfunction. With crossbucks, if they activate in error, traffic can still be flagged through, but with gates, the road is constrained til the gates go up. Somebody qualified has to be on call for those situations.

A single grade crossing accident can cost a railway up to $100K in legal fees, even if the railway is not at fault. Just dealing with the investigation, claims, fending off victims' lawyers, etc. costs money. That line is seeing much more traffic at crossings, especially at the south end, and there have been some serious crossing accidents. That's one of the "risks" for which there is little reward.

I'm also told that the track maintenance will get cut further when the Explorer runs end later this month. The goal is 10 mph all the way. More labour hours for the operator, at that speed a single round trip may be iffy without overtime.

At the end of the day - there just aren't enough cars moved for the effort involved.

- Paul

Back