News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 404     0 

Orangeville-Brampton Railway (OBRY)

Two articles of note. The first one is more of an opinion piece, but glad to see Orangeville media talking about rail. The second deals with the future Hurontario LRT extension to Brampton's downtown using the OBRY RoW.

Can all Ford’s promises be kept?
The new government should instruct Metrolinx to immediately provide GO Transit bus service to Shelburne, and should offer to take over the Orangeville-Brampton Railway as the perfect test for low-capacity commuter services using a modern version of the CP Dayliners that used to make it from Owen Sound to Toronto in three hours.

Here's What's Happening With the LRT in Brampton
The McLaughlin route could circle Shoppers World, it could run by Sheridan College, down McLaughlin, and finally along Queen Street, or even along the Orangeville-Brampton Railway.

It would be great to see the Credit Valley Explorer return, but I suspect that even a few runs in the fall (like the first year of operation) might be too optimistic.

With no equipment at their disposal, that would be exceedingly difficult. Not impossible, however - but the clock is ticking.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I hadn't realized for years that the coaches used by the CVE were privately owned. Did they get compensation for the use of their coaches? Maybe the owners have other plans for them but would the coaches be better being used rather than just sitting around?

I hadn't realized for years that the coaches used by the CVE were privately owned. Did they get compensation for the use of their coaches? Maybe the owners have other plans for them but would the coaches be better being used rather than just sitting around?

The two coaches were owned by Cando themselves, and were sold in February to a historical railway group in the Guelph area. The RDC was owned by the operator of CVE, and with the increasing unlikelihood of the operation coming back, he took the opportunity to sell his car to the same group at the same time. The caboose is owned by a third party, and to the best of my knowledge it is not for sale at this time.

There is equipment available in the GTA for the CVE to use, but as I noted time is running out for him to arrange anything for this season. And that's assuming that OBRAG is interested in bringing it back, and that Trillium is receptive to its operation. The City of Orangeville seems to be awfully quiet about it right now.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

^ Thanks! Does the group in Guelph want to try to restart a tourist train there? Maybe they'd want to lend (for a price) the equipment to OBRY. The Mayor seems to be supportive:

Trillium's Vice President of Operations, Aaron White, tells the Orangeville Banner that they have yet to make a decision on whether or not to operate the Credit Valley Explorer tourist train. Williams hopes the tourist train returns in the near future.

http://www.orangevilletoday.ca/default.asp?pid=9208396&wireid=TRILLIUM_OB_RAIL_1_WEB

Would be nice if Metrolinx could snag the Talents from OC Transpo and operate a Orangeville-Brampton service in temporal separation... yeah, yeah I know, never gonna happen...
Far cheaper using buses than going DMU. Also faster.

If you get the OK to run the DMU to Streetsville let alone to Union, then using the DMU's would be the way to go. Steetsville-Orangeville would see low ridership since the KW line offer hourly service weekday and none on the Milton Line.

Far cheaper using buses than going DMU. Also faster.

If you get the OK to run the DMU to Streetsville let alone to Union, then using the DMU's would be the way to go. Steetsville-Orangeville would see low ridership since the KW line offer hourly service weekday and none on the Milton Line.
Running a non FRA trainset probably verboten over that OBRY-CN diamond during otherwise operating hours until PTC happens in these parts? Was looking for cheapest possible option, with any other money going to improve track class rather than expensive notions like grade separation.

Heard an interesting rumour on a Fecebook group I am in:

"Can anyone confirm that Trillium is getting a new customer / spur in orangeville. My friend seen CP Trucks and other contractors ( where the Red pin is ) clearing out land the red is the current OBRY/ Trillium im not sure how they will build this spur as its north of town"

50434641_1973676932745741_6222578335323521024_n.jpg

It seems a little unlikely, but the alleged presence of CP contractors (OBRY/Trillium is CP's shortline partner as CP ultimately moves the goods to their final destination) makes me wonder. The next time my family drives through Orangeville to our farm I'll get them to try to confirm.

It would seem highly unlikely. That would be a very long spur through an impossible route. The highlighted spot is between a conservation area and a fairgrounds. It's hard to tell from Google but it looks like a small quarry or something.

Did they perhaps open a new Tim's there? I didn't think CP crews had anything to do with the maintenance of the line.

Back