News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 436     0 

Orangeville-Brampton Railway (OBRY)

They should just do a crossover from the CP Bolton sub across Caledon. It would not cost that much and it would open up a new rail line.

You mean the CP MacTier Sub? Across Caledon?

That means restoring the Toronto, Grey and Bruce line that was abandoned in the 1930s. That would cost $ billions. Not going to happen.

Yeah. I mean I don't see how it would be feasible to divert trains from the Milton line to orangeville either.
Again, if (and it is a big if) there was to be rail service to Orangeville....why would we divert trains to any line....why not just divert riders (via a transfer) at either/both of the points where it meets the KW line and Milton lines.

Again, if (and it is a big if) there was to be rail service to Orangeville....why would we divert trains to any line....why not just divert riders (via a transfer) at either/both of the points where it meets the KW line and Milton lines.
Well, like I said in my earlier post, it would be better to build tracks across Caledon then any transfers. The GTA is allergic to transfers haha.

You mean the CP MacTier Sub? Across Caledon?

That means restoring the Toronto, Grey and Bruce line that was abandoned in the 1930s. That would cost $ billions. Not going to happen.

Yeah. I mean I don't see how it would be feasible to divert trains from the Milton line to orangeville either.

While I understand how incorporating Orangeville into a Bolton GO line could seemingly make sense, the challenge of building a new corridor on the old TG&B right of way would be very expensive, and would require expropriations. Additionally, there is the issue of the old horseshoe curve, which has steep grades and caused many derailments in the past.

The current OBRY line isn't in bad shape (it would still require extensive upgrades) and would be cheaper than using the TG&B alignment. Also, this the OBRY alignment would allow for stops in various parts of Caledon, and Brampton. If there is an issue with using the Milton Line for Union access (assuming we're still scared of transfers), the connection to the GO Kitchener Line could be easily rebuilt.

On a dollars per potential rider basis, relaying the old line is a non-starter.

I fear the existing line may actually need a lot of work, although passenger speeds might be viable at 50 mph ish given the short distance. I wonder about the bridge at the Forks, also.

One other consideration for both options - this land is supposed to be greenbelt. We don't want intermediate stops here.

Overall, an express bus down the 410 to Bramalea could be run much more frequently and would probably keep up with ridership demands. If we see Orangeville and beyond growing too much, we are making a fundamental mistake. In this case, dont build it has some wisdom to it.

- Paul

Unfortunately you have to be a Facebook member to watch that. I quit them almost ten years ago. I'm a free man. I'll check Youtube to see if the vid is there. No luck, but really good four part vids on a cab ride along the line:

Apologies. I thought I saw the icon indicating the video was public and assumed an account wouldn't be needed to view.

No prob, I ended up watching a number of vids on Youtube to get an idea of the track condition, which appears pretty good.

Personally I feel like an average speed of 40mph minimum is needed for passenger rail before it makes more sense to run buses. Unless there is significant traffic along that corridor.

Personally I feel like an average speed of 40mph minimum is needed for passenger rail before it makes more sense to run buses. Unless there is significant traffic along that corridor.
I agree, the OBRY is far too indirect as well, but it is *perfect* for *testing* a Hydrail LRV, due to the absolutely minimal traffic, and the ability to isolate the line while testing to meet TC regulations. The test vehicle would get traffic, some would choose to ride it rather than a bus, enough to supply the needed test load, and ostensibly the Alstom factory in Mississauga would be proximous to the CP yard at the southern end of the line. It wouldn't supplant buses by any means in a test phase, but offer an alternative to test concept. I'd ride it every opportunity to get me up to the Elora to Cataract and Caledon Trailway. And other points north.

Last edited:
[...]
The driver of a silver Volkswagen is lucky to have escaped a collision with a train on the Orangeville-Brampton Railway without injury.
[...]

From looking at the impact, he's damn lucky that train wasn't doing the speed it's legally mandated to...to fully make that point, we do need more info...

Edit to Add: Just trying to get a better sense of what happened here, and logic is gapping as to what the driver's awareness (or lack of) was:
upload_2017-7-15_16-39-6.png
He was headed south towards the camera, and it appears from the clump of trees shown in the news pic, the train was headed north-west:
Anyone have any ideas how one could possibly not see what was approaching?

Distracted driving at the least? I love cycling those roads, but man...drivers will be the death of me...

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-15_16-39-6.png
    upload_2017-7-15_16-39-6.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 580
  • upload_2017-7-15_16-43-46.png
    upload_2017-7-15_16-43-46.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 582
Last edited:

Back