News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.3K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

It also has a Notification Centre widget for the iPhone. On the iPhone it's really convinent to be able to pull down the Notification Centre to see bus times at a glance. I hardly ever open the Transit app because of this.

The Android version also has a widget, but it's ugly and doesn't work half as well as it does on iPhone.

iPhone: http://imgur.com/sGri60p

I haven't tried this one yet, however I use Rocket Man and it does everything that you mentioned (except subway schedules), and has a nice interface. You can also get the ETA for GO trains, 905 transit systems, and includes a number of other cities in Canada and US as well. Whoever has iOS could give it a try.

I used Rocket Man before, but the interface on Transit is more polished and it has more features.

How is that possible?
[snip]
Can I stress again that the Go RER upon completion is still vastly different from the SBanh in Berlin/Munich or the RER in Paris or the Yamanote line in Tokyo? If I take the Go, the closest station from Toronto is probably Dundas West station.
Today that's the case.

When all 7-lines become RER-ified and same "inside 416" fares on both GO/TTC (it's going to happen; obvious evidence), and the possible addition (currently theoretical) of the Midtown GO line (Crosstown GO RER south of Eglinton and north of Bloor), there will be a lot more gridding of the GO lines in 25 years than today. There's enough feasible right-of-way - Google Earth shows enough room to cram 4 tracks for most of it -- crosstown to allow CN corridor sharing with GO RER). Once people love RER, there will be huge demand for more RER routes, and some sweetheart deal will end up being made with CN, to permit them to share the corridor (two tracks each, plus occasional bursts of a 5th passing track). We haven't exhausted all possible crazy ideas (e.g. short gondola between TTC Castlefrank and a theoretical new Don Valley GOstation as a "DRL lite" with 5-min peak service; some cities have added gondola connectors), with opportunities to add a LOT more gridding and rapid loops to de-star the GO network. We have lots of perfectly feasible opportunities. Now, Imagine a future Tory (or someone else) making a midtown "SmartTrack 2" promise during his run for 2nd or 3rd term that uses the midtown corridor (once it's confirmed CP is willing).

Three times as many "SmartTrack" stations will be within 416 as today (GO RER-ified GOstations) with a lot more interchanges, when we have 7 SmartTrack style lines (SmartTrack is simply GO RER #1). Maybe even more than that, if the GO midtown line gets activated.

It may not be as dense as Paris' system, but by Toronto standards, the next 15 years will an order of magnitude more stationadds of "dedicated right of way subway-like frequent-service train transit stations" (TTC/GO RER/etc) than the last 15 years.

Just wait and see. It may not be Paris RER, but GO will become 416-rapidtransit-friendly within a single generation, with three times as many 416 GOstations, thanks to infilling.
GO RER will be still be commuter-friendly yet far more urban-rapidtransit-friendly, with pretty much inevitable fare unification (within 416 zone) & approximately triple the number of inside-416 stations

Don't forget SmartTrack stops at the GO stations and there's no faregates between SmartTrack and the other GOtrains. Don't forget the lack of faregates between GO/TTC at the Crosstown endpoints. They're not going to duplicate the platforms, and they're not going to use short UPX-length trains for GO RER (including SmartTrack). Don't forget TTC finally agreed to make transfers 2-hour timed passes (in principle) at their last meeting. Don't forget the announcement of full Presto TTC acceleration for 2016. Don't forget Metrolinx said GO RER has lower operating costs. (And TTC fares will have risen a bit, while inside-416 GO RER fares have fallen, beginning with SmartTrack). The writing is on the wall of fare unification, interchange points, extra stations. People are going to demand continued RER expansion once SmartTrack users rave about it, and GO RER users rave, activating increased interchange work and potential create new extra GO corridors (e.g. Eglinton corridor because of SmartTrack, GO midtown, etc).

Now reiterating:
Toronto's unified "subway" map is tripling in size in less than one generation

(Parameters: Whole GTA for subway-style-frequent (no rarer than 15 minutes) hop-on-next-train unified-faresystem dedicated-right-of-way train service that whoosh at subwayspeeds or faster, not streetcar speed and NO level crossings; with maps displayed in both TTC and GO RER stations (including all GO RER brand names such as SmartTrack)). In 15 years (or 20) when you look on the TTC wall or Metrolinx station wall, the map is triple size. That's what is going to be happening in front of our eyes, assuming GO RER is not cancelled.

Last edited:
It also has a Notification Centre widget for the iPhone. On the iPhone it's really convinent to be able to pull down the Notification Centre to see bus times at a glance. I hardly ever open the Transit app because of this.

The Android version also has a widget, but it's ugly and doesn't work half as well as it does on iPhone.

iPhone: http://imgur.com/sGri60p

I used Rocket Man before, but the interface on Transit is more polished and it has more features.

Shutdown the iPhone and then start it back up, to activate the widgets and other settings.

Here is the result of the recently completed 8-year elevator project at Lawrence West. I hope it was worth the wait.

16083311535_43e41755d0_b.jpg

16057512066_9aa7c8cbeb_b.jpg

15896015010_f848bf5ac2_b.jpg

16082597462_9740cff791_b.jpg

At platform level, the elevator is right between the escalators, at the end of this corridor.
16057512746_d2a79fb441_b.jpg

Wow. It's great that the TTC took so much care when awarding the contract. You won't get the best contract if you rush into things. Good job!

Not defending the TTC at all. I've just heard and read a lot of misconceptions about the article today, and thought I'd nip the "lazy construction workers milking government overtime for all it's worth" meme before it even started.

Wow. It's great that the TTC took so much care when awarding the contract. You won't get the best contract if you rush into things. Good job!

They even awarded it more than once. There was a whole article all about the timeline.

Last edited:

Back