News   May 21, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 629     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 481     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

How is that possible?
As of today, our subway is about 68km in total. Are you saying in 10 years, it will be 200km? Vaughan extension is 8.6km, the entire Eglinton line is 19 km.

The so called Go RER is not subway. They are all suburban commute lines with only a few stops within the boundary of Toronto. They are almost useless if I want to go anywhere with the city of Toronto. The $19 a ride UPe is not even regular public transit and shouldn't be considered "TTC subway" either.

Can I stress again that the Go RER upon completion is still vastly different from the SBanh in Berlin/Munich or the RER in Paris or the Yamanote line in Tokyo? If I take the Go, the closest station from Toronto is probably Dundas West station.

How can you say this without even Metrolinx having a single plan finished for RER?

Some studies call for multiple stations downtown, such as this one

DRLAnaBailao.jpg

Attachments

• DRLAnaBailao.jpg
    DRLAnaBailao.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 424
How is that possible?
As of today, our subway is about 68km in total. Are you saying in 10 years, it will be 200km? Vaughan extension is 8.6km, the entire Eglinton line is 19 km.

The so called Go RER is not subway. They are all suburban commute lines with only a few stops within the boundary of Toronto. They are almost useless if I want to go anywhere with the city of Toronto. The $19 a ride UPe is not even regular public transit and shouldn't be considered "TTC subway" either.

Can I stress again that the Go RER upon completion is still vastly different from the SBanh in Berlin/Munich or the RER in Paris or the Yamanote line in Tokyo? If I take the Go, the closest station from Toronto is probably Dundas West station.

GO RER will like SBanh Germany or RER in Paris. That's the whole point. There will be stations added and it will be frequent electric trains both ways.

GO RER will like SBanh Germany or RER in Paris. That's the whole point. There will be stations added and it will be frequent electric trains both ways.

If you read ksun's post history you will discover that he spouts a LOT of misinformation.

Him and a couple other posters.

Interesting ythat the TTC is again grinding streetcar track - they used to own 'grinders".

Work description and purpose

As part of its streetcar track maintenance program, the Toronto Transit Commission is exploring rail grinding technology, which is progressing in the industry.

The TTC has obtained a contracted service to provide rail grinding along a number of sections of its streetcar track network that have developed some rail roughness. This grinding work is intended to improve the current condition of the rail surface that will aid in reducing noise and vibration levels, extend the life of the rail and provide a smoother streetcar operation through those areas.

Work hours

The grinding is scheduled to begin on December 18. To ensure that this grinding operation is carried out to its optimum potential, the slow moving rail-grinding unit will begin operations from approximately 9 p.m. and will continue until the start of morning streetcar service, approximately 5 a.m. A street sweeper will be used to clean the track area each day following grinding operations. Sparks will be contained however, sound emissions will be evident when the grinder is in full operation. Streetcars will be diverted after 9 p.m. to accommodate the grinding work. A shuttle bus service will be provided.

The TTC will assess and evaluate the effectiveness and the results attained by this grinding equipment for possible future use along other sections of the streetcar track network.

A rail grinding car in 1969.

photo-toronto-bathurst-at-dundas-ttc-rail-grinding-car-1969-unknown-photographer.jpg

Rail grinding cars, in 1990.

streetcar-4013-20.jpg

Both were converted retired streetcars. Maybe they should do the same with the CLRV's, after they are retired.

Attachments

• photo-toronto-bathurst-at-dundas-ttc-rail-grinding-car-1969-unknown-photographer.jpg
    photo-toronto-bathurst-at-dundas-ttc-rail-grinding-car-1969-unknown-photographer.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 438
  • streetcar-4013-20.jpg
    streetcar-4013-20.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 396
Both were converted retired streetcars. Maybe they should do the same with the CLRV's, after they are retired.
Give the maintenance complexities of the CLRVs, I'd think it would be cheaper to simply bring the existing PCC grinders out of retirement. They are both still at the museum in Halton. http://www.hcry.org/collection_1946_W-30.html

Or better yet, given it's been about 18 months since I last recall seeing them bringing in a grinder, perhaps they could simply continue to contract this out when needed. It would surely be more cheaper and efficient.

Interesting ythat the TTC is again grinding streetcar track - they used to own 'grinders".

Work description and purpose

As part of its streetcar track maintenance program, the Toronto Transit Commission is exploring rail grinding technology, which is progressing in the industry.

The TTC has obtained a contracted service to provide rail grinding along a number of sections of its streetcar track network that have developed some rail roughness. This grinding work is intended to improve the current condition of the rail surface that will aid in reducing noise and vibration levels, extend the life of the rail and provide a smoother streetcar operation through those areas.

Work hours

The grinding is scheduled to begin on December 18. To ensure that this grinding operation is carried out to its optimum potential, the slow moving rail-grinding unit will begin operations from approximately 9 p.m. and will continue until the start of morning streetcar service, approximately 5 a.m. A street sweeper will be used to clean the track area each day following grinding operations. Sparks will be contained however, sound emissions will be evident when the grinder is in full operation. Streetcars will be diverted after 9 p.m. to accommodate the grinding work. A shuttle bus service will be provided.

The TTC will assess and evaluate the effectiveness and the results attained by this grinding equipment for possible future use along other sections of the streetcar track network.

Why do the tracks need to be grinded and how was the job done before?

Transit is one of my favourite iPhone and Android apps :). The only issue I've found is that it is occasionally unreliable. It's told me that my next bus was 35 minutes away when it's only 5 minutes away.

Transit is one of my favourite iPhone and Android apps :). The only issue I've found is that it is occasionally unreliable. It's told me that my next bus was 35 minutes away when it's only 5 minutes away.
I didn't learn about this app until today...this thing is awesome! It has subway schedules, bixi, and GPS information for buses. I don't think any other app has all 3.

I didn't learn about this app until today...this thing is awesome! It has subway schedules, bixi, and GPS information for buses. I don't think any other app has all 3.

I haven't tried this one yet, however I use Rocket Man and it does everything that you mentioned (except subway schedules), and has a nice interface. You can also get the ETA for GO trains, 905 transit systems, and includes a number of other cities in Canada and US as well. Whoever has iOS could give it a try.

Back