News   May 21, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 622     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 479     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

That means the Toronto's subway now has 34 stations out of 69 that now have elevators. Better than Montréal's Metro with only 8 out of their 68 stations that have elevators.

Is it true that 100% of Vancouvers SkyTrain network stations have elevators?

I was on the 509 tonight. As we were coming out of the tunnel onto QQ, a car was driving towards the tunnel. The streetcar driver honked at him a bunch of times, but he kept going until he was almost in the tunnel and then figured it out and reversed. Fortunately he didn't get stuck

Wouldn't surprise me because they didn't even start their network until the 1980's. Torontos network was essentially fully built by that point.

Torontos network was essentially fully built by that point.
This is about to change over the subsequent 10 years with a massive transit surge.

Over the next several years, we will be ribbon-cutting Crosstown, Vaughan subway extension, UPX, Union reno complete, SmartTrack, full Presto rollout, faresystem unification, then Scarborough subway complete and most of GOtrain network is converted to electric "surface subways" with 2-way all-day frequent service (GO RER 10-year initiative to grade-separate, electricify, and literally subwayize the convenience of the entire GOtrain network). Counting the stations, we'll have about triple the number of stations running dedicated-right-of-way fast-accelerating electric trains with 15-min-frequency-and-better. Tory might even become 3-term or 4-term mayor as a result of attending so many ribbon-cuttings.

That is a LOT of transit expansion in a mere 10 years.

Toronto's "subway map" triple sized in half a generation. I'd call that a Toronto miracle.

Last edited:
That means the Toronto's subway now has 34 stations out of 69 that now have elevators. Better than Montréal's Metro with only 8 out of their 68 stations that have elevators.

But still less than half. In this day and age it is totally unacceptable. The province is making employers enact AODA now yet the city (which is a provincial entity) has 10 years to comply.

I know someone who uses Wheel-trans to get to work from a station that is accessible to another that is accessible. But he can't use the subway because there is no way for him to exit out of other stations if the subway shuts down. If every station had elevator access (with battery backup for power outages) he could use the subway and have a lot more freedom. It would also reduce the cost of Wheel-Trans (for him to virtually nothing)

I agree at looking to reduce costs but we should accelerate spending to make sure everyone has access to transportation.

But still less than half. In this day and age it is totally unacceptable. The province is making employers enact AODA now yet the city (which is a provincial entity) has 10 years to comply.

I know someone who uses Wheel-trans to get to work from a station that is accessible to another that is accessible. But he can't use the subway because there is no way for him to exit out of other stations if the subway shuts down. If every station had elevator access (with battery backup for power outages) he could use the subway and have a lot more freedom. It would also reduce the cost of Wheel-Trans (for him to virtually nothing)

I agree at looking to reduce costs but we should accelerate spending to make sure everyone has access to transportation.

Or refuse to do anything without additional funding from the province, and call them out of it at the end of the 10 years - if they want to take it out by forcing the TTC to spend on accessibility improvements over general service, let them and have them own the results of such a course of action.

AoD

Or refuse to do anything without additional funding from the province, and call them out of it at the end of the 10 years - if they want to take it out by forcing the TTC to spend on accessibility improvements over general service, let them and have them own the results of such a course of action.

AoD

Because of budget cuts directed by the Ford administration, accessibility projects (such as elevators) was reduced in priority. Hopefully, the Tory administration will increase the budget for such projects, over the objections of Rob Ford of course.

And yet much further ahead of many major cities such as Montreal, London, New York, and Paris, which are no where near half, or even a quarter.

With the exception of Montreal, those systems are significantly older than Toronto's. Worst of all we were still building inaccessible able stations into the 1980s. The first station which was handicap accessible from day 1 was Downsview. Let that sink in...

Because of budget cuts directed by the Ford administration, accessibility projects (such as elevators) was reduced in priority. Hopefully, the Tory administration will increase the budget for such projects, over the objections of Rob Ford of course.

Equity (and with that, legal) lens aside, I am not sure accessibility projects offers a large enough bang for the buck in comparison to other pressing needs in the system. The argument that an accessible system will take pressure off Wheeltrans is also high on assumptions and low on actual statistics on just how effective diversion is - i.e. individuals previously using the separate service are now using transit proper.

AoD

With the exception of Montreal, those systems are significantly older than Toronto's. Worst of all we were still building inaccessible able stations into the 1980s. The first station which was handicap accessible from day 1 was Downsview. Let that sink in...
I'm not sure what is supposed to sink in. There was effectively a revolution in accessibility requirements in the 80s. Before that, the impaired were just out of luck. That Toronto built a non-accessible station in 1987, then an accessible station in 1996 does not mean Toronto was uniquely behind the curve.

Toronto is one of the few systems out there that is actively pursuing a goal of making their entire system accessible. This is still monumental. Systems all over the world remain accessible only by staircases because they have been grandfathered in. It doesn't matter that it's taking the TTC 10 years to update. The mere commitment to modernizing the entire system is huge.

At day one, they were all totally inaccessible (though some London Tube stations were so deep, they had elevators a hundred years ago, but it wasn't done for wheelchairs). Toronto has moved faster than Montreal, New York, London, or Paris.

Toronto built 3 inaccessible subway stations in the 1980 and all are now wheelchair accessible. Montreal built 22 in the 1980s and not a single one is wheelchair accessible to this day. (Lionel-Groulx is, but it opened initially in the late 1970s along with 15 other Green Line stations, none of which are wheel chair accessible today).

The first station which was handicap accessible from day 1 was Downsview. Let that sink in...
Downsview was in 1996 (and the first new station since 1987). STM's first station that was handicap accessible from day 1 was on Laval in 2007. They have yet to build an accessible station from day 1 in Montreal. Let that sink in...

Toronto's "subway map" triple sized in half a generation. I'd call that a Toronto miracle.

How is that possible?
As of today, our subway is about 68km in total. Are you saying in 10 years, it will be 200km? Vaughan extension is 8.6km, the entire Eglinton line is 19 km.

The so called Go RER is not subway. They are all suburban commute lines with only a few stops within the boundary of Toronto. They are almost useless if I want to go anywhere with the city of Toronto. The $19 a ride UPe is not even regular public transit and shouldn't be considered "TTC subway" either.

Can I stress again that the Go RER upon completion is still vastly different from the SBanh in Berlin/Munich or the RER in Paris or the Yamanote line in Tokyo? If I take the Go, the closest station from Toronto is probably Dundas West station.

Back