News   Apr 18, 2024
 258     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

TD Centre - Ernst & Young Tower

Two thoughts - on the level of protection of the former Seagram Building in New York, see the brouhaha over the removal of the Picasso from the lobby earlier this year.

On the sign itself - is it an indication that TD will be taking the E&Y space when they move to their new building, and possibly leaving the Canada Trust tower, thus consolidating their offices in the TD Centre? I don't know if TD has any space in the E&Y building now.

TD occupies at least 4 floors of this tower already - for at least 10 years - and I'm positive they've had two of them for 30.

As for Alklay's comment about embarrassing CF. It's not CF that needs to be embarrassed, they were just fulfilling a major tenant's request. It's TD that should be shamed into removing this.

And the geniuses at City Hall are too busy poo-pooing Frank Gehry designs to stop these atrocities.

By poo-poo'ing I assume you mean following the same planning protocol that they do for every proposal?

Please, spare us from your uninformed rhetoric.

Last edited:
Just to be clear that is now TWO TD signs which will be lighting up our night skies in downtown. Because the big, 4 sided 263m high-up sign at Brookfield Place was just not enough of a statement...

Genuinely disappointed in the logo (both existence and colour scheme) and as has been said before by the placement. Yikes! It's mind boggling to think why that placement of all placements was chosen. there is seemingly no locational logic to it

Mies would not be pleased.

TD just became the laughingstock of the world and cemented themselves as a second rate, second tier organization.

Ok there buddy, it's a sign with their logo on it...

p2FNM5h.gif

By poo-poo'ing I assume you mean following the same planning protocol that they do for every proposal?

Yea...like there's some sort of consistent application of any kind of "planning protocol".

ha ha ha And you have the balls to call me uninformed.

Meanwhile...the morons are oblivious to the "heritage" that's being damaged...sometimes the city even demolished its own heritage building...needlessly at that.

Obviously, this city is in dire need of some real heritage champions.

If a sign was needed on those buildings

Putting a "TD" sign on the "TD Centre" is a lesson in redundancy.

The mall below uses black-background signs with white text. Why not do the same for the logo?

Correction...it started allowing retail tenants to their their "regular" storefronts like they would in any mall. And CF let them. Now it's a hodge-podge of both the holdout Mies designed signage and individual store-branded facades all next to eachother. I can't think of anything worse.

Just to be clear that is now TWO TD signs which will be lighting up our night skies in downtown. Because the big, 4 sided 263m high-up sign at Brookfield Place was just not enough of a statement...

Genuinely disappointed in the logo (both existence and colour scheme) and as has been said before by the placement. Yikes! It's mind boggling to think why that placement of all placements was chosen. there is seemingly no locational logic to it

Mies would not be pleased.

Mies will be turning in his grave.

It's not CF that needs to be embarrassed, they were just fulfilling a major tenant's request. It's TD that should be shamed into removing this.

TD Centre is a CF asset. They make the rules. There should be no uncertain terms concerning what a tenant may ask for in terms of alterations to the buildings. But you are right, you'd think TD would know better. But guess what...they don't...just like CF. They are just cold entities that don't give two craps about this sort of thing...it's all bottom line these days.

You think TD is run by men like Allen Lambert???? You think Cf is run by people like the Bronfmans???? Think again.

William Thorsell, CEO of the Royal Ontario Museum, wrote in a tribute to Allen Lambert:
"For those who build, it is not a question of whether a legacy remains, but what its quality is. In Athens, in the Yucatan, in Paris, architecture still speaks eloquently centuries after so much else of value is gone. In 1967, a banker insisted that Toronto be remembered with respect."

We should also have things in place at City Hall to deal with this sort of thing...instead we have morons.

Everyone needs to get over their righteousness. This is not considered an Van Der Rohe building, but an inspired designed, built in 1992. Considering it has the heritage base it is the only one of the TD Tower centre they could add any signage to.
Consider TD is now sponsoring the shared bikes you will be seeing a lot more of the signs every where. Get used to Toronto looking like NYC.

Everyone needs to get over their righteousness. This is not considered an Van Der Rohe building, but an inspired designed, built in 1992. Considering it has the heritage base it is the only one of the TD Tower centre they could add any signage to.
Consider TD is now sponsoring the shared bikes you will be seeing a lot more of the signs every where. Get used to Toronto looking like NYC.

SM and Everyone: Interesting opinions about adding the Toronto Dominion Bank logo sign to the early 90s "add-on" building - I don't mind this new logo
sign but I agree that TD's logo is very prominent in Toronto and for that matter the New York City area - consider me "on the fence" concerning this new
TD logo sign and I note the placement being strategically not on one of the original TD Centre towers is a OK move to some...

In a related matter I remember the Bank of Montreal blue M logo that used to be atop the First Canadian Place tower - I have never liked the updated logo
with the letters BMO added - consider me somewhat biased thanks to M being my initial...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
On a tangential note, I noticed today that the 390 has come off 390 Bay, and on the North side at least, it looks like something else is going up.

Back