Toronto Montgomery Square | 84.12m | 27s | Rockport Group | RAW Design

Following the glowing review from the DRP, and getting the 'i's dotted and the 't's crossed at the TPB, the Planning Department is now recommending approval of this building at Council in August - and at 27 storeys, not just 26 for those counting. It was not certain that this project would get a recommendation: it's just across the street from the area covered by the Yonge-Eglinton Centre plan (where you can go tall) and in an Avenues area where you're only supposed to mid-rise. Good design at both ground level and on the skyline plus the nicely incorporated heritage building seems to have overcome the hurdles this was up against.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2014/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-72238.pdf

I'm pretty happy about all of this - I think this is one of the most handsome proposals in the city right now.

Following the glowing review from the DRP, and getting the 'i's dotted and the 't's crossed at the TPB, the Planning Department is now recommending approval of this building at Council in August - and at 27 storeys, not just 26 for those counting. It was not certain that this project would get a recommendation: it's just across the street from the area covered by the Yonge-Eglinton Centre plan (where you can go tall) and in an Avenues area where you're only supposed to mid-rise.

Horrible move. Sets a precedent to bleed high-rise into projects moving north. What's the point of having boundaries if we keep moving the goal posts?

Awful planning. I hope Matlow kills it.

Horrible move. Sets a precedent to bleed high-rise into projects moving north. What's the point of having boundaries if we keep moving the goal posts?

Awful planning. I hope Matlow kills it.

An excellent point, and one which continually comes up at OMB hearings: if the city can't defend the arbitrary lines it likes to draw in the sand, then why draw them in the first place?

Josh 'Watch Me Grandstand' Matlow doesn't have the power to do anything but vote against this at Council. And given it's proximity to higher-order transit, he'd be a moron to do so. "Awful planning" indeed... (*massive eye roll*)

That said, given he disapproves of taller projects within the confines of the Yonge-Eg Secondary Plan, it'll hardly be a surprise when he does.

An excellent point, and one which continually comes up at OMB hearings: if the city can't defend the arbitrary lines it likes to draw in the sand, then why draw them in the first place?

Josh 'Watch Me Grandstand' Matlow doesn't have the power to do anything but vote against this at Council. And given it's proximity to higher-order transit, he'd be a moron to do so.

PE,

The lines aren't arbitrary. This site lies on the edge of a residential neighborhood that needs protection from encroachment. Next thing you know we will see an application for 27s on the Future Shop site. You might applaud that move but I find it bad planning. After all, you don't see high rise towers sprouting up throughout Soho or the West Village in Manhattan now do you?

Good luck at the OMB when the councillor opposes you and you're contrary to the OP.

Last edited:
July 3 DRP Minutes:

www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toronto/City Planning/Urban Design/Files/pdf/DRP/DRP Minutes July 3.pdf

7-0 for refine.

AoD

Yeah, I'm a big fan of this one. Wait till you guys see the plans for the square and surrounding blocks. I wish I had an image I could post now.

I really hope sales start soon !!

When you say surronding blocks do you mean the retail strip just to the south ?

Yah, this public space has potential to become a destination for local pedestrians if done right. I hope they are inspired by something European.

I really hope sales start soon !!

When you say surronding blocks do you mean the retail strip just to the south ?

What I mean is that they are trying to get the adjacent landowners on board so that their private sidewalk area can be remade along with City sidewalks a block or so away from this spot in every direction for an integrated public artwork which will commemorate the Upper Canada Rebellion through embedding the rebels' footprints in the pavement. The images were presented to the DRP. I hope it goes through—if executed with high quality materials like bronze—it could become quite a landmark.

What I mean is that they are trying to get the adjacent landowners on board so that their private sidewalk area can be remade along with City sidewalks a block or so away from this spot in every direction for an integrated public artwork which will commemorate the Upper Canada Rebellion through embedding the rebels' footprints in the pavement. The images were presented to the DRP. I hope it goes through—if executed with high quality materials like bronze—it could become quite a landmark.

Wow... I'm blown away. Talk about respecting history.

Trees on the property have been removed and hoarding is up

Mont1.JPG

Mont2.JPG

Mont3.JPG

Attachments

• Mont1.JPG
    Mont1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,890
  • Mont2.JPG
    Mont2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,839
  • Mont3.JPG