Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

There's still some demo going on

uTBCM5n.jpg

dbpJno8.jpg

Finally the start of a building I really like. Classic and clean.

Clean? All those protruding balconies and the inconsistent precast patterns make it look very busy to me.

I think John Bentley Mays said it best:

"Instead of meeting the city with sheer glazed surfaces that rise smoothly from base to crown, Mr. Sickle’s skyscraper bristles with busy details. Grids of precast concrete start to climb up the tower, get part of the way up, then evaporate, as though they had changed their minds. Large, transparent, two-storey volumes thrust out from corners here and there, with no visual logic that I can make out. The jumbled upward motion of the façades terminates in a bundle of glass oblongs that manages to be odd and banal at the same time."

Last edited:
Always hard to tell by renderings alone. I like the classic NY style but materials are everything. Just like One Bloor, could end up looking great or like a dog's breakfast.

Piles on the east side now too? Hmm... assuming that they continued clockwise from where they started on the west side, we may see digging soon enough.

Always hard to tell by renderings alone. I like the classic NY style but materials are everything. Just like One Bloor, could end up looking great or like a dog's breakfast.

That people think this is remotely New York deco is part of the problem. It's just an extruded floor plate of precast and glass.

Back