Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

Feb 14
12542293324_49a6473d93_b.jpg

12542287964_98d0cf622b_b.jpg

12541766285_f72b208b26_b.jpg

12541623935_507d66f14f_b.jpg

12542275824_2e161067d4_b.jpg

88 Scott has a nice prime downtown location. I didn't realize how close it was to the financial district until I saw those two pics above ^ . This will be a great addition to the skyline as well.

I hope you're right. Something about a tower with faked setbacks is a litlle disconcerting.

I hope you're right. Something about a tower with faked setbacks is a litlle disconcerting.

Correct. It's disconcerting because it's a tired and hackneyed cliche from buildings built 25 years ago. "Postmodernism" in 2014?--Please. It's pathetic and provincial.

Haven't we learned from anything from Trump, Crystal Bla, and 1 King West?? Three giant clunkers based around this same failed idea. The Robert Stern building on Charles is the only tolerable version of this kind of historicist detail, because its expensive, genuinely historically informed, and intelligently done.

88 Scott, Crystal Bla and the rest are the skyscraper equivalent of design-build, stuccoed-styrofoam and precast, fake mansion monster-homes. Every time one of these clunkers gets built downtown, it makes Toronto look foolish.

Correct. It's disconcerting because it's a tired and hackneyed cliche from buildings built 25 years ago. "Postmodernism" in 2014?--Please. It's pathetic and provincial.

Haven't we learned from anything from Trump, Crystal Bla, and 1 King West?? Three giant clunkers based around this same failed idea. The Robert Stern building on Charles is the only tolerable version of this kind of historicist detail, because its expensive, genuinely historically informed, and intelligently done.

88 Scott, Crystal Bla and the rest are the skyscraper equivalent of design-build, stuccoed-styrofoam and precast, fake mansion monster-homes. Every time one of these clunkers gets built downtown, it makes Toronto look foolish.

I'm not sure you can put 1 St. Thomas in the same category with these buildings, as it has real setbacks - not just two dimensional representations of setbacks like Trump and 88 Scott. Also, Crystal Blu is indeed a horrible building, but I don't believe it has any fake setbacks either. Perhaps you're thinking of Uptown Residences, which I'll agree is tacky, but also features real rather than fake setbacks.

, Crystal Blu is indeed a horrible building, but I don't believe it has any fake setbacks either. Perhaps you're thinking of Uptown Residences, which I'll agree is tacky, but also features real rather than fake setbacks.

Ah yes! You are correct, I meant Uptown. Poor Balmuto street, side by side cheapo clunkers, in differing botched styles.

What does fake setback mean? Does it only count if there's more than a few floors that's set back?

If the definition is based on an incline plane to preserve sunlight to a specific area, isn't that exactly what the steps on the upper floors designed to do?

Fake setbacks or no, I think it looks great in the renderings. Sleek and elegant. The devil will be in the details, once it starts going up and the cladding begins.

Back