News   Apr 26, 2024
 669     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 234     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 716     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

Looking good! I'm glad that they kept the same look for every station. If you're anywhere in the area, the "glass dome" look will be instantly recognizable as a VIVA station, even if you're wandering around and don't know exactly which station it is.

I think they look good and recognizable as well. I wonder if future surface LRT stops in Toronto will look similar and have heated areas, assuming surface LRT gets built.

I think they look good and recognizable as well. I wonder if future surface LRT stops in Toronto will look similar and have heated areas, assuming surface LRT gets built.

I doubt it. Although it would be nice. I'm not sure if there's am appetite for these large stations in Toronto, not to mention there are more space restrictions, I think they'll go with function over form.

The section between the 404 and Town Centre is now slated to open in August 2014, and the section between Town Centre to Warden in December 2014. Details on the section running through Downtown Markham has also been released:

MBwoNLv.png

aUhCffT.png

JpEKwvx.png

8iXrfhc.png

YGHgpU0.png

aaUthHV.png

wWstOly.png

rSVQuaz.png

8ckXKAL.png

Ei012wl.png

PDFs here and here.

Although I applaud the determination and zeal to push forward with the project unlike most transit projects a few km down south I am rather disappointed with the bleak projected construction schedule (excluding planning). How slow do they have to work to take 4 years to build a km of rapidway that isnt even in a heavily trafficked road?! Sure there's a bridge that needs to be built/modified, but if contractors can build a 60 story condo in 4 years surely, if they had tried, they can do much better than that for a short stretch of road. Hell objectively speaking by numbers, it took the chinese even less time to build 1200km of high speed rail through much more treacherous terrain!

because its not needed. its simpler to go the cheaper and slower way and have it ready in 2019 when it is needed than to have it start in 2017 and spend more to accelerate construction to allow for a 2019 completion.

So does this mean Simcoe Promenade is no longer a Pedestrian/Transit-only street.

Now just a wide 5 lane street?

It was one of the more unique parts of Downtown Markham -_-

So does this mean Simcoe Promenade is no longer a Pedestrian/Transit-only street.

Now just a wide 5 lane street?

It was one of the more unique parts of Downtown Markham -_-

They had to realign Simcoe Promenade with Enterprise running from Kennedy as part of the mobility hub study. I still think the section between Rouge Valley West and Birchmount will stay bus-only with a civic mall on the north.

Honestly don't think a pedestrian mall would do that well ... maybe if they push for more offices in the northern park of DT Markham (now its only on the south part), cars help animate areas more then people think, and make what could be a dead zone otherwise function.

Honestly don't think a pedestrian mall would do that well ... maybe if they push for more offices in the northern park of DT Markham (now its only on the south part), cars help animate areas more then people think, and make what could be a dead zone otherwise function.

It sounds like a good idea at full build-out. I agree it would be a dead zone for the forseeable future.

Some cool aerial shots on Markham's Pinterest

Wow thanks for posting. I'm very impressed, it looks great. I also like that some of the buildings are starting to create street walls or corners like in the upper left corner of the 2nd photo. Also the 2nd photo shows quite a lot of density.

However I wonder if it would look better & more differentiated if the bus lanes were blue? It would also fit in with Viva branding and make it very clear that cars are prohibited.

Back