News   Apr 16, 2024
 434     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.6K     7 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

FWIW Bob Delaney, MPP for Mississauga Streetsville mentioned in his mailing that Milton has 8 trains in and out now, which is going to 9 later this year, and 10 next year. That's definitely some progress on the Milton line!

Now if they could finally deal with Stouffville.. it could really, really use 20 minute service between 4:30 and 6:00. Oh, and add a train on the Barrie line that leaves after 6:10 for gods sake.

Glen Murray was in Kitchener for the final signatures for provincial money for Waterloo Region's LRT. While he was there, media asked him a lot about more GO train service to Kitchener. What they heard was that details will be forthcoming in the spring budget, but it is sounds very much like the province is angling to purchase the tracks to Kitchener.

What I heard seems like it may be a bit more immediate.

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. If a sale agreement between CN, GEXR and GO can be reached, screw the lease. CN and Metrolinx have already negotiated plenty of corridor transfers under Greg Percy's leadership, and I'm sure GEXR's holding company wouldn't be opposed to maintaining their current access with a public sector body maintaining the corridor.

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. If a sale agreement between CN, GEXR and GO can be reached, screw the lease. CN and Metrolinx have already negotiated plenty of corridor transfers under Greg Percy's leadership, and I'm sure GEXR's holding company wouldn't be opposed to maintaining their current access with a public sector body maintaining the corridor.

GEXR would love the move, as it save the bottom line and having a higher speed limit for them.

Its a win win for everyone and maybe part of the announcement schedule for KW next week. The KW LRT is supposed to be part of that announcement as well hwy 7.

GEXR would love the move, as it save the bottom line and having a higher speed limit for them.

No, they wouldn't, actually.

To have another owner would restrict the ability for them to schedule their operations when they want (and thus have to pay more for labour), and would also prevent them from writing off their "investments" in track and fixed plant.

From what I've been hearing, Rail America was actually looking at taking over ownership of the whole of the line when the lease was up in 3 years. GO purchasing the line, even just from Georgetown to Kitchener, may cause them to rethink their investments here.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

No, they wouldn't, actually.

To have another owner would restrict the ability for them to schedule their operations when they want (and thus have to pay more for labour), and would also prevent them from writing off their "investments" in track and fixed plant.

From what I've been hearing, Rail America was actually looking at taking over ownership of the whole of the line when the lease was up in 3 years. GO purchasing the line, even just from Georgetown to Kitchener, may cause them to rethink their investments here.

Yes, they'd lose some control over scheduling, but it's quite possible that Metrolinx would increase the line capacity to a degree that more than offsets it in flexibility. With the current single-track layout with very few sidings, the GEXR's operations are remarkably constrained, so it wouldn't be too hard for Metrolinx to maintain this (low) level of freedom for them.

Its a win win for everyone and maybe part of the announcement schedule for KW next week. The KW LRT is supposed to be part of that announcement as well hwy 7.

Just to be clear, the provincial LRT funding finalization already took place, and the Glen Murray comments being discussed are from that visit.

Yes, they'd lose some control over scheduling, but it's quite possible that Metrolinx would increase the line capacity to a degree that more than offsets it in flexibility. With the current single-track layout with very few sidings, the GEXR's operations are remarkably constrained, so it wouldn't be too hard for Metrolinx to maintain this (low) level of freedom for them.

The line may be configured so that you see GEXR's operations as being "remarkably constrained", but it also happens to be perfectly suited for what they do today. Metrolinx has also been quite firm about when freight trains can use their single-track lines elsewhere (between the end of the evening rush and beginning of the following morning rush), and it stands to reason that they would impose the same restrictions on GEXR as well.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The line may be configured so that you see GEXR's operations as being "remarkably constrained", but it also happens to be perfectly suited for what they do today. Metrolinx has also been quite firm about when freight trains can use their single-track lines elsewhere (between the end of the evening rush and beginning of the following morning rush), and it stands to reason that they would impose the same restrictions on GEXR as well.

But I don't see why Metrolinx would keep the line single-track. There is huge political pressure and a pretty good case for "reverse" GO trains coming into Kitchener in the morning, and my understanding is that would be very difficult without double-tracking or more sidings.

658 was pushing my train on Sat and 661 was being broken in with 618 behind it

http://youtu.be/DokGzGN5fFg

13812532105_6a57c452d7_b.jpg

13812535935_198c4a0877_b.jpg

13812537495_9cde469011_b.jpg

13812539585_0947262c57_b.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe that was 661/618 I saw heading EB at Monarch Park towards Danforth GO at 1423 yesterday. Wasn't close enough to see numbers.

Back