News   May 08, 2024
 372     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 444     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 664     0 

TTC: New Articulated Buses (In Delivery, Novabus)

my bus once got in an accident, albeit it was a GO bus, pretty minor, and it happens to streetcars as well..

My bus caught on fire once... old fishbowl. I was late.

Edit: I think it was an engine fire. Lots of black smoke coming out the back. Thankfully the fire was contained to the engine area and nobody was hurt. The bus was actually empty and waiting at Lawrence West Station to pick up passengers (including myself).

Last edited:
I don't really notice or mind the ride on a bus. While rail tends to be smoother, the subway can get kind of bumpy too, and the one in New York would make you think it was operating on rubber tires.

I mostly notice the bumpiness of bus when in Toronto. Like when I take MT, I can immediately tell the exact moment when the bus crosses the border into Toronto, even without looking out the window (not that it is possible see through the window during winter anyways), because the ride suddenly becomes extremely bumpy. The roads in Toronto are in very poor condition compared to Mississauga. I think if the roads in Toronto were properly maintained we wouldn't be talking so much about comfort or nausea right now.

I mostly notice the bumpiness of bus when in Toronto. Like when I take MT, I can immediately tell the exact moment when the bus crosses the border into Toronto, even without looking out the window (not that it is possible see through the window during winter anyways), because the ride suddenly becomes extremely bumpy. The roads in Toronto are in very poor condition compared to Mississauga. I think if the roads in Toronto were properly maintained we wouldn't be talking so much about comfort or nausea right now.

The roads in Mississauga are newer. Roads in Toronto are being reconstructed, which adds to all the traffic delays. Its the postponing of needed reconstruction that's the hard part. For example, on Scarlett Road, they keep filling in the potholes, but withing two weeks they reappear. That road is in deparate need of reconstruction, but may only happen during or after they reconstruct the Scarlett Road & Dundas Street & St. Clair intersection and underpass.

For example, on Scarlett Road, they keep filling in the potholes, but withing two weeks they reappear. That road is in deparate need of reconstruction, but may only happen during or after they reconstruct the Scarlett Road & Dundas Street & St. Clair intersection and underpass.

I can't agree more. Scarlett road is absolutely horrible north of eglinton. The boulevard grass on the side of the street is more black than green with all the little bits a of cheap pothole asphalt that gets ripped up and concentrated with the spring melt. The potholes from La Rose to Lawrence are tire swallowing nightmares.

Usually see them refilling the same holes about 2-3 times in the same winter-spring season. The concrete bus pads however are in pretty great condition considering age.

I just saw Brad Ross' tweet that artics are now starting on route 29. Should be interesting to see what that does for crowding.
What would it do for crowding? If the buses are 50% bigger, they'll be running 2 buses in future for every 3 buses running now.

There's no plans to roll back Karen Stintz's increase to the number of people to squeeze in each bus.

What would it do for crowding? If the buses are 50% bigger, they'll be running 2 buses in future for every 3 buses running now.

There's no plans to roll back Karen Stintz's increase to the number of people to squeeze in each bus.

That depends on whether they actually do run 2 for every 3 of the current ones, but I was thinking more of whether they'd adjust the schedule, what effective wait time will be, etc.

That depends on whether they actually do run 2 for every 3 of the current ones, but I was thinking more of whether they'd adjust the schedule, what effective wait time will be, etc.

It will continue with the increase of headways and artic's that you will find the buses all be at one end of the route as well 30 minute down for one to show up just like you do today.

Friday night I waited 15 minute for a north bound at peak time to watch 8 go south at Queen St within 5 minutes. The first one going south was the first going north and crush load when it arrived at Queen. Got on the 3rd one.

Which is why Karen Stinz and Rob Ford aren't the "transit messiahs" they pretend. They cut a growing system. Who does that?!?

Which is why Karen Stinz and Rob Ford aren't the "transit messiahs" they pretend. They cut a growing system. Who does that?!?

"Fiscal conservatives" looking for cuts and "efficiencies", preferably with no actual background in transit.

Back