News   May 08, 2024
 256     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 640     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 534     1 

TTC: New Articulated Buses (In Delivery, Novabus)

TTC has Novabus LFS Smartbuses, Viva has LFX Articulateds. Both members of Novabus's popular LF series.

Contrary to the name badges, the buses are the exact same. The only difference is in some relatively small options.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Just went on the new bus. It was nice. It even has that new bus smell.

I wasn't in a packed bus but it looks a lot more spacious. I've taken that route when it was packed with rush hour travelers in the past. The larger space must be a nice improvement.

The rear doors take a long time to open and a long time to close. I miss the quick opening and quick closing doors controlled by treadles (still found on the CLRV and ALRV streetcars).

Last edited:
Contrary to the name badges, the buses are the exact same. The only difference is in some relatively small options.

The difference in windows is particularly noticeable. The LFX has superior side windows compared to the heavy framed LFS, unless that was just a cheaper option the TTC went for?

Last edited:
The difference in windows is particularly noticeable. The LFX has superior side windows compared to the heavy framed LFS, unless that was just a cheaper option the TTC went for?

The flush-mounted windows are a more expensive option, and not necessarily part of the LFX badging. They are also a bit of a maintenance nightmare, and add several hundred pounds to each bus.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Anyone know what happened to the plan to roll-out the articulated buses on the 6 Bay route? It seems to have disappeared from the roll-out schedule.

Anyone know what happened to the plan to roll-out the articulated buses on the 6 Bay route? It seems to have disappeared from the roll-out schedule.

Well, considering that they've received all 153 buses now, I don't think that the roll-out schedule is of any value anymore.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

So I have noticed that the VIVA Nova buses have the ability to lean the entire bus to the right, lowering all the doors down rather than just the front, has anyone noticed if the TTC's Nova's can do this as well?

So I have noticed that the VIVA Nova buses have the ability to lean the entire bus to the right, lowering all the doors down rather than just the front, has anyone noticed if the TTC's Nova's can do this as well?

The TTC did not purchase that option.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The TTC did not purchase that option.

Makes sense, VIVA is fully POP based, TTC buses are not POP. Some people have been debating whether they'll make the buses POP when Presto is deployed, but personally I doubt it--the fare inspector requirements would be extraordinary, and the system has much higher ridership than Viva or OC Transpo, not to mention those services don't have to worry about people who haven't paid their fare entering a subway station after getting off the bus and travelling all over the network/even printing out a transfer from the machine there. Might make an exception for routes with the artics, I think just about every single regular rider of the 29 would weep with joy if POP were enabled on that route, but even if it happens it's very far off (Presto deployment, adding Presto to rear doors, policy change, employing fare inspectors...). I didn't know it was a separate option from the front-only kneeling on the LFS, but if it is, then yes, it wouldn't have made much sense for the TTC to purchase it at this point in time.

Even if the TTC deployed POP throughout the bus system, I doubt buses here would have that kind of feature. Another example of artics fully lowering and tilting to the right can be seen with Hamilton Street Railways 60 footers (although they are New Flyer buses and not Nova buses).

Even if the TTC deployed POP throughout the bus system, I doubt buses here would have that kind of feature. Another example of artics fully lowering and tilting to the right can be seen with Hamilton Street Railways 60 footers (although they are New Flyer buses and not Nova buses).

Viva's Van Hool buses, both the articulated and non articulated models do this as well.

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but I saw something weird today and yesterday, on and around York St. This is a Nova LF buses painted in the livery of Washington's DC Circulator, which, as far as I know, doesn't run Nova buses. The sign on the front said something about Burlington, so maybe it was a repainted model from a different transit system. There were also two taxis with DC plates on them, so it may have been part of a TV or film set.

IMG_5816.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5816.JPG
    IMG_5816.JPG
    438.9 KB · Views: 649

Back