News   May 17, 2024
 2.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

TTC: New Articulated Buses (In Delivery, Novabus)

I've been wondering for a while why the buses are so dirty in the winter compared to the streetcar, even on slow downtown routes. I assume most of the splatter is from other vehicles, and yet it's always so shocking being on a bus, instead of a streetcar, in the winter, with it often so heavy that you can't see out the window - which I've never experienced on a streetcar.

Why would a streetcar get dirty? It's in the middle of the road, the highest point. A bus is constantly changing into the curb lane to pick people up, and that's where the water collects, hence puddles. In fact, it's possibly worse at the stops themselves, as you tend to get potholes there. Not sure that entirely explains why both sides would get dirty, though.

In fact, it's possibly worse at the stops themselves, as you tend to get potholes there. Not sure that entirely explains why both sides would get dirty, though.
It also tends to move fairly slowly into stops. It's not like the passengers have to dodge a wave of water when the bus arrives.

That's the thing ... I haven't seen a good explanation why they are so consistently dirty. Both sides, and not concentrated near the wheels. The answer is surely obvious though ... but I'm not seeing it.

I think the difference with buses is they can rock side to side, so the sides of the bus can be directly exposed to the road, including potholes and puddles. And at the side of the road, the bus leans to the right too. The streetcar doesn't have to deal with potholes either, and the wheels are not large enough to create big splash anyways, even if they could enter potholes. Ever experience a part of a streetcar dip into a pothole in the road? It is hard to imagine. It's all on-rails after all. The streetcars stay level. Why are streetcars a steadier and more comfortable ride? Buses enter potholes, streetcars don't.

streetcars have a much more pleasant acceleration as well. plus no smell of diesel. getting on a bus makes you feel like you are a piece of cattle getting moved around, getting on a streetcar feels like you are getting on something comfortable to actually go somewhere.

Well put. I like to use a personal coffee analogy. I often find that drinking a coffee standing up on a crowded streetcar is often easier to do than sitting down on an empty bus (using a standard coffee shop cup). Even with a lid, the bus bounces you around so much that some spillage almost always occurs.

Reading a book on a bus can be frustrating, too.
Completely agree. I find that I can't read a book on a bus, only on a subway or streetcar.

Way too much jostling around, combined with the diesel smell, tends to give me major headaches trying to read.

Being in a bus nauseates me when I use my smartphone. This does not happen in a streetcar or in a subway train. The bus is like an inflatable castle with firm floors and wheels.

Even the roller coasters (and many flat rides) in Canada's Wonderland are not as nauseating as the buses.

Being in a bus nauseates me when I use my smartphone. This does not happen in a streetcar or in a subway train. The bus is like an inflatable castle with firm floors and wheels.

Even the roller coasters (and many flat rides) in Canada's Wonderland are not as nauseating as the buses.

How do you use a smartphone while on a roller coaster? Is that even allowed? I don't think that is a good idea either way, because you might lose your phone and/or it could get damaged.

How do you use a smartphone while on a roller coaster? Is that even allowed? I don't think that is a good idea either way, because you might lose your phone and/or it could get damaged.
Of course I can't use a smartphone on a roller coaster. I meant to say that using a smartphone on a bumpy bus is more nauseating than being on a roller coaster (with or without a smartphone).

I don't really notice or mind the ride on a bus. While rail tends to be smoother, the subway can get kind of bumpy too, and the one in New York would make you think it was operating on rubber tires.

The remaining Orion Vs tend to be the worst I find, as their suspension is long past their best before. Fortunately they are being retired soon, so that will hopefully help.

I don't really notice or mind the ride on a bus. While rail tends to be smoother, the subway can get kind of bumpy too, and the one in New York would make you think it was operating on rubber tires.

The ride quality of rail vs bus is night and day. I could probably get away with doing gymnastics on a streetcar (until the streetcar stops). Today on the bus I could hardly walk to my seat without trampling some little child to death.

(Anyone else want to share their busses-are-evil horror stories? :cool:)

Last edited:
If you get a seat I'm fine with riding the bus. If you have to stand for a very long time and it's extremely crowded, it can be uncomfortable.

Obviously I'd rather ride a streetcar any day. The new ones will be especially subway-like (I rode one in Brussels).

Back