487     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
civ4stalin-727390.jpg

He is our mayor.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_06c11_e.htm#s129s1
Though interestingly enough, the actual law makes no notices of the OMB. How would they attempt to get this through the OMB other than with more petitions? Manage to get Rocco Rossi to approve it?

Section 129 Subsections 4 through 8 of the link you posted describe exactly how this occurs. Subsection 8 kind of defeats the purpose of this whole petition process if I am reading it correctly (emphasis mine):
"(8) Once an order of the Board is in force, the order is deemed to be a by-law of the City and may be amended or repealed by the City by by-law described in section 128."

Last edited:
This is frustrating but there's no denying it's true: Rob Ford is the "Rubber Ball Mayor. The harder you throw him, the faster he rebounds." A resilient mayor, a tolerant city

Polls show him now at 47% approval, up from 42% during the crack scandal. The Globe & Mail article speaks to this not being about Ford himself, but about how tolerant our city is to somebody like him.

I disagree. Toronto has demonstrated to be a city of naïveté. How could one choose as a leader, a man that has demonstrated time and time again unfit to lead? Leading isn't ramming unfounded personal beliefs through the democratic process that is City Council. Leading -- and this shouldn't have to be explained because it's obvious -- is taking the people who are part of the process (City Councillors), showing them direction and building a consensus while not being afraid to compromise. Ford's worst trait is in being the absolute opposite of that.

How this city can continue to support him is not only incredibly frustrating but one of the saddest realizations I've had as a Torontonian: the city I love is populated by people either too naïve or too self centred to allow it to grow into the great city I've always hoped and believed it would become. If Ford is re-elected, I'll wish Toronto no harm, but I won't be a part of this. The world is a big place.

Last edited:
This is frustrating but there's no denying it's true: Rob Ford is the "Rubber Ball Mayor. The harder you throw him, the faster he rebounds." http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/a-resilient-mayor-a-tolerant-city/article13331003/?cmpid=rss1&utm_source=dlvr.it_tor&utm_medium=twitter

Polls show him now at 47% approval, up from 42% during the crack scandal.

What does this man have to do!? Kill someone? This is so frustrating.

This man has done practically nothing good of substance since he took office. He's flushed hundreds of millions of dollars down the drain in his failed attempts to stop transit expansion. He's declared TTC an essential service, basically guaranteeing high wages. He's made TPS the highest paid police force in the country. And of course, there is scandal after scandal. The only "good" thing this man has done is privatisation of garbage west of Yonge. It is completely infuriating that people still support him. Especially since this is not what they voted for. Did the 47% who voted for him vote for scandal after scandal? No. Did they cote for the highest police wages in the country? No. Did they vote for having hundreds of millions of taxpayer's dollars literally flushed down the toilet. No.

People need to wake up.

Calm down Tiger...

Let's hope that this doesnt affect the polling numbers, where Ford will likely easily lose. I doubt it will since we've seen this happen before.

What does this man have to do!? Kill someone? This is so frustrating.

This man has done practically nothing good of substance since he took office. He's flushed hundreds of millions of dollars down the drain in his failed attempts to stop transit expansion. He's declared TTC an essential service, basically guaranteeing high wages. He's made TPS the highest paid police force in the country. And of course, there is scandal after scandal. The only "good" thing this man has done is privatisation of garbage west of Yonge. It is completely infuriating that people still support him. Especially since this is not what they voted for. Did the 47% who voted for him vote for scandal after scandal? No. Did they cote for the highest police wages in the country? No. Did they vote for having hundreds of millions of taxpayer's dollars literally flushed down the toilet. No.

People need to wake up.

Calm down Tiger...

Let's hope that this doesnt affect the polling numbers, where Ford will likely easily lose. I doubt it will since we've seen this happen before.

Ford is really good at one thing: making lies stick. Maybe because he actually believes what he says or perhaps he's secretly an evil genius but he continues to repeat lies that favour him and eventually it becomes accepted as fact.

Toronto's in financial ruin! Not true, but it's become accepted as reality and reflected in the way we manage our city budget, and in witholding ambition because we can't afford it. But it's simply not true. Toronto is doing exceptionally well financially.

LRT's are just streetcars. You're going to have to wait behind them and they're going to take up car lanes making bad traffic worse! Traffic is already so bad, the last thing we need are more streetcars taking away more lanes. Again, we all know this isn't true but he's managed to make it accepted reality to enough people that it spreads.

He has no qualms about poisoning his own well so that the alternative that he wants is what's left. He's gone on a misinformation campaign that made the term LRT so toxic that it's become a tabboo word. I even try to avoid using it when making the case for them. Yet, just right next door in Mississauga, LRT's are the best thing to ever happen to that city. Sleek cutting edge transit technology that is affordable to implement and realistic to expand into a full network in one's lifetime. But in Toronto, generations are going to reject LRTs because it's become popular belief that they're inferior to subways.

Does a village need a Hoover Dam when a series of wells will be plentiful to meet the village's needs? By tapping into popular fears, Rob Ford was able to convince the villagers that water in the well is dirty and filled with parasites. Besides, you deserve a Hoover Dam. That city down there got one! We want a Hoover Dam everybody cries! Hoover Dam Hoover Dam Hoover Dam!

This is frustrating but there's no denying it's true: Rob Ford is the "Rubber Ball Mayor. The harder you throw him, the faster he rebounds." A resilient mayor, a tolerant city

Polls show him now at 47% approval, up from 42% during the crack scandal. The Globe & Mail article speaks to this not being about Ford himself, but about how tolerant our city is to somebody like him.

I disagree. Toronto has demonstrated to be a city of naïveté. How could one choose as a leader, a man that has demonstrated time and time again unfit to lead? Leading isn't ramming unfounded personal beliefs through the democratic process that is City Council. Leading -- and this shouldn't have to be explained because it's obvious -- is taking the people who are part of the process (City Councillors), showing them direction and building a consensus while not being afraid to compromise. Ford's worst trait is in being the absolute opposite of that.

How this city can continue to support him is not only incredibly frustrating but one of the saddest realizations I've had as a Torontonian: the city I love is populated by people either too naïve or too self centred to allow it to grow into the great city I've always hoped and believed it would become. If Ford is re-elected, I'll wish Toronto no harm, but I won't be a part of this. The world is a big place.

It's because nobody does more for Torontonians than Rob Ford. Nobody. They would be dealing drugs, dead, or dying if it weren't for Rob Ford. That's what you're missing.

It's because nobody does more for Torontonians than Rob Ford. Nobody. They would be dealing drugs, dead, or dying if it weren't for Rob Ford. That's what you're missing.
You have to be kidding me? Are you actually suggesting that if Rob Ford weren't around, Torontonians would be either dealing drugs or dead. I'm just going to assume that you're besting sarcastic.

Good riddance then.

If you can't understand why people vote for Ford or why he holds such appeal, then you're part of the reason he got elected.

Are you saying that death of only a few or one is insignificant?

What, did Ford kill someone now?

But to answer your question...no. Not sure how you got that from my post.

Huh? I know a few people that don't share my politics, never had a problem with it, nor do they. If you want to talk an ideology, try not to toss in sociopathic behaviour.

That wasn't my point. I was applying the same hyperbolic comparison nftz used to another argument.

They may be, I don't know why people voted for him, but they did. Since this is Canada... say it with me... C-A-N-A-D-A... maybe you should be making the comparisons to Harper

Um, why? Nftz said that anyone who supports a homophobic politician is themselves a homophobe. So it doesn't really matter whether the politician is from Canada or not. Obama is as good a comparison as any.

Good riddance then.

If you can't understand why people vote for Ford or why he holds such appeal, then you're part of the reason he got elected.

It has allot to do with Ford not being your typical, well put together politician. Ford could be any guy who lives down the street from you. Unfortunately, being an average Joe (or at least appearing to be) doesn't lead to.good governance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back