News   Apr 18, 2024
 627     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.5K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 384     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

I agree. The ugliness of the train shed space comes more from the dirt and grime thats accumulated, along with the ugly signage, irregular stairs and elevator cores, and all the other junk thats accumulated over the years. Clean it, light it, and be happy with what history has given us.

I read somewhere, perhaps here, that the original design for the Bush trainshed involved glass roof panels, and they only went to the wood/tar/whatever roof to cut costs. Is this true?

The patent allowed for glass roof panels over the platforms, and this is what the original designs for Toronto's station called for. These were deleted from the plans before construction started.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I stayed on the 17th floor of the Royal York last weekend and captured these shots:

7173930784_81c20e837c_b.jpg

7173937864_c7f452373b_b.jpg

I don't know what I'm more excited for, the glass canopy, the green roof on top of the shed, or natural light actually entering the platforms!

Are the windows facing the enclosed courtyard/atrium the originals? They seem modern in their cut and what is with the blue frames.

A question that came to mind when I took those pics. The interior walls looks like new or recently exposed cinder blocks as well. (as the public wouldn't see them anyway).

Does anyone know if the support posts and trellis will be painted a lighter colour (white or light grey/silver)? The renders indicated a somewhat lighter strucutre; if the support posts are left their current dark colour (brown or black?) and the trellis is left unpainted, I fear that the entire strucutre won't achieve it's full potential to brighten the central portion of the train shed.

Does anyone know if the support posts and trellis will be painted a lighter colour (white or light grey/silver)? The renders indicated a somewhat lighter strucutre; if the support posts are left their current dark colour (brown or black?) and the trellis is left unpainted, I fear that the entire strucutre won't achieve it's full potential to brighten the central portion of the train shed.
You mean this?
6978657360_d30cb3a01a_b.jpg

My contact indicates that the beams are finished at the assembly plant and shipped to the site in their final colour and configuration.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I think OldManKensey is talking about the support beams in and under the shed.

I was waiting for a train yesterday under the shed and there was plenty of natural light coming in across the entire length of all platforms. It was not as bright as outside, but I would not describe it as dark at all. I would have no problem if post-renovation no additional light came in to the space under the shed than does now. The problem is the decades of dirt, rust, poor maintenance, chipped concrete, and ad-hoc repairs and alterations that made the shed space look unkempt. A simple cleanup, sign organization and painting of the inside of the shed would resolve 90% of the appearance complaints. Renovating the staircases and adding more at the west end (which I think is the plan anyway?) would solve most of the remaining problems. The glass atrium is gravy (the good kind!)

Last edited:
I was referring to the new steel (eventually glass-clad) "roof" of the new middle portion of the shed, and the new OCAD-like support beams that will hold it up. I wasn't referring to the existing shed on either side (which I understand will be cleaned, etc.) Even if they aren't painted white, I at least hope that eventaully the colour of the roof matches the colour of the support beams. Given that the roof will be clad in glass, the lattice inside will (I assume) be clearly visible.

OMK:

Given that the roof will be clad in glass, the lattice inside will (I assume) be clearly visible.

The renderings suggests the use of frosted glass - which means the lattice will be visible as silhouettes.

AoD

Back