News   May 03, 2024
 205     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 559     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Unfortunately, I know nothing of a mushroom farm.
My greatest interest in the area is the munitions plant (GECO - General Engineering Co.) that was the build nearby c.1943. (S. of Eglinton, near Warden/Birchmount)
A few of the structures remain and I enjoy searching for them.

I have heard Goldie that the Ember's banquet hall at 781 Warden has a sealed door in the basement that leads to one of the GECO tunnels. Would love to get a tour down there one day.

Looking south from the Park Hyatt--Bloor and Avenue Road
ViewfromUOfT.jpg

IMG_1491-Copy.jpg

Hyundai Pony. :) If anyone here bought one 30 years ago they provided something like seed capital, or at least encouragement, to the company that is Hyundai today. Couldn't stop looking at a Hyundai Genesis in the parking lot here. Mighty fine looking automobile.

1987 Hyundai Pony. First "new" car I had ever bought. It lasted just over a year. The paint started to fade in less then 3 months because I was stupid enough to park it outside (according to the dealer). 25 years later and I still haven't forgiven Hyundai for selling it to me - and I probably never will. (Though, they were the last new cars sold in Canada to run on leaded gas, if memory serves!)

1987 Hyundai Pony. First "new" car I had ever bought. It lasted just over a year. The paint started to fade in less then 3 months because I was stupid enough to park it outside (according to the dealer). 25 years later and I still haven't forgiven Hyundai for selling it to me - and I probably never will. (Though, they were the last new cars sold in Canada to run on leaded gas, if memory serves!)

My 74 Volvo.. rusted like an English car.

My 86 Jetta.. nothing was covered under warranty.. when it was under warranty,, they argued every single instance when work was needed.

Chrysler in the 90s had a very generous warranty.. they did stuff without asking.. which means the dealership was making a living off corporate.

Don't know what any of these companies are like today. I can warmly recommend Subaru for the cars, warranty and honest dealerships.

Then and Now for Jan 30.

Then. 16 St. Vincent St. c1896. 'Where Holmes murdered Alice and Nellie Pietzle.'

Well, it's been over three years since this thread has been up, and we make our first Then and Now foray into long ago crime. Please don't click on the link if the crime of murder makes you uncomfortable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.H._Holmes

373pitezel4a.jpg

Now. June 2011. Bay St. W side, a couple of blocks above College.

374.jpg

Last edited:
My 74 Volvo.. rusted like an English car.

My 86 Jetta.. nothing was covered under warranty.. when it was under warranty,, they argued every single instance when work was needed.

Chrysler in the 90s had a very generous warranty.. they did stuff without asking.. which means the dealership was making a living off corporate.

Don't know what any of these companies are like today. I can warmly recommend Subaru for the cars, warranty and honest dealerships.

Been driving my Hyundai Accent for 15 years and the rust began to show only in the last year.
Needed very little service all this time.
Just can't seem to wear it out! - And I want a Smart car!

What the blue blazes is that in the middle of North Queens Park? Looks like a mini French Chateau.

Funny what you don't notice Mustapha. I wonder how long that building was there and when did they decide it was time to go?

First attempt at Panorama. Park Hyatt looking south. Looks like I have a new addiction , didn't realize how easy these Panorama programs were to use.
IMG_1484Panorama.jpg

Last edited:
Funny what you don't notice Mustapha. I wonder how long that building was there and when did they decide it was time to go?

It was the Queen's Park Bandstand, which was replaced by the equestrian statue of Edward VII. Great set of photos, brewster!

s1188_fl0001_it0037.jpg

1917:

f1548_s0393_it13905.jpg

s0372_ss0001_it1285.jpg

s0372_ss0001_it1286.jpg

s0372_ss0001_it1305.jpg

s0372_ss0001_it1339.jpg

Last edited:

Back