News   May 08, 2024
 512     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 468     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 691     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I was lambasted on here for saying the suburbs would have their revenge if their concerns weren't listened to.

That day has come.

And now we have Ford in the mayor's chair. Good luck with that.

Obviously 47% of the city aren't bigots, and I'm surprised you would suggest that. However Ford is a bigot, as is many of his core supporters - this was evidenced in the reaction at his party to Smitherman.

The depths of your delusion never cease to amaze me. You have done nothing but post ad nauseum throughout this campaign that anybody who votes for Ford is a racist, pure and simple. Your prejudicial view has consistently stereotyped all Ford voters as white supremacists. Now you are seeing the light? Good grief you would be amusing if you weren't so offensive and dangerous in your lazy thinking and sanctimonious judging of others. Take your witch-hunt sideshow and hit the road buddy!

However, the fact Ford won by over 90,000 votes and the fact voter turnout seemed to be really really high not in the outskirts but in ares close to the downtown...

It appears Ford message won across the city.

Thing is George did go from 30% to 35% however Ford kept a solid lead. Means Ford did well in the Downtown.

Look we always are scared of Conservatives, we thought Harper would end Gay marriage. Now he has faults but he is governing pretty much like liberals in the mid 90's. They shifted to the Centre and Ford will as well.

Also stoping the Gravy Train is not a right wing message, it is a message of common sense.

As someone who works in the 'evil' private sector, lives in the suburbs and drives a car to work - I am happy that Ford won. Oh and I'm from an immigrant family and have two university degrees so I must be a an idiot bigot based on the logic in this thread.

Also stoping the Gravy Train is not a right wing message, it is a message of common sense.
Indeed. As I've mentioned before on this board, I grew up in Saskatchewan, where the NDP ended the Conservative gravy train, in the interest of common sense.

To overgeneralize, there seems to be a fundamental difference between the left out west and the left in Ontario. This was exemplified by the Bob Rae NDP fiasco, and recently by the mayor and city council in Toronto.

the NDP out west are more for the common person than here in Toronto.

Main theme of the election was an out of touch council. Giving themselves pay raises and increases taxes in the middle of recession. That clearly showed they did not care for the average person or have no idea how an average person lives. Now people did not really punish the council, however a lot of incumbents did not run and some high profile people have been defeated, so there was change not really a hard shift to the right.

nfitz,

Good job labelling nearly half the city's voters as bigots. You wondering why Ford won? You're attitude is exactly why. That kind of elitism, along with Miller's parochial nature (we know you've wanted a subway to STC for decades but I know this LRT is better for you so that's what you're getting) is exactly what drove voters right into the arms of Ford.

I can't wait for the numbers to come out when you see that it was a good chunk of immigrants in the burbs that voted for Ford.

Keep up the smack talk though. I am sure folks like you will help Hudak get elected too.

I am not joking, Tamils came out huge for Ford.

If you think it was only crazy old white guys, you are dead wrong..

You guys downtown don't see this stuff...

If true, this is very odd. I mean, Ford goes on TV and basically says that there are enough Tamils in Toronto and immigration should be halted.

Come on fitzy, you can do better than that. Based on your belief that all Ford voters are bigots, why don't you answer your own question? Don't chicken out now.

As a visible minority and son of immigrants, I will tell you why Ford was popular with immigrants: Most immigrants don't give a shit about yuppie issues like the environment, public spaces, the waterfront, the arts or anything that might propell Toronto to World-Class status. Immigrants typically have less money, larger families, and less time. Ford's simple and populist message resonated with them, because all they care about is having more money in their pockets to spend on their families. I'm afraid that they don't realize the potential effects of the cuts someone like Ford will make, but since this requires some deep thinking, it's not populist and doesn't come into the picture.

In the end, Ford was a straight family-man who doesn't go to the Opera. This is why he won over immigrants. However, I still don't get how his comments on immigration were completely glossed over.

I don't think they ever supported Smitherman with much conviction. Which is sad, because he would have been best for the city. I say this because I've supported him ever since the specter of a possible Ford victory came into being, unlike some of you pseudo-literati.

Let's be real here: Even though I voted for him, Smitherman was a horrible candidate who ran a horrible campaign. He was cold, impersonable, and for some reason thought he could present himself as a fiscal conservative in spite of the eHealth scandal.

Rob Ford ran (in his OWN words) as a fiscally Conservative BUT socially liberal candidate.

This is what most Canadians WANT!

We want someone who will have RESPECT FOR THE TAXPAYER while at the same time could care less what happens in the bedroom.

Stephen Harper is the OPPOSITE OF ROB FORD ! He WASTES BILLIONS of OUR MONEY sending it to 3rd world sink holes like Haiti and Africa OR on Fighter jets we DO NOT NEED. I don't know if he is trying to buy votes or if he is compelled by his Christian ministry beliefs to give away OUR MONEY. On the SOCIAL side Harper is someone who WOULD try to intervene in the bedroom if he had a majority.

We NEED to have MORE politicians like Rob Ford at Queens Park and in Ottawa. Fiscally Conservative Socially LIBERAL

THIS IS A WINNING COMBINATION!!!!!

My guess is that this drivel is representative of the typical Ford supporter, which supports my earlier post about IQ and THE FORD SUPPORTER.

To me, Fords win is indicative of the shift that the common person (the silent majority who is not an activist, artist, or elitest) has had enough and voted for change. In other words, the common person who actually works hard for a living in the private sector.

I think the difference is that your "common person" wants Toronto to look like Houston and the "elites" want Toronto to look like Barcelona, Berlin, Chicago, New York....

Oh yeah, those trash filled, vacant lots along the Don River are really bringing in the bucks and tourists.

When was the last time you went down to the waterfront?

It is like a Common Sense Revolution! Which is not right-win at all!

As someone who works in the 'evil' private sector, lives in the suburbs and drives a car to work - I am happy that Ford won. Oh and I'm from an immigrant family and have two university degrees so I must be a an idiot bigot based on the logic in this thread.

Honestly, your motivations make sense to me. And I think the fact that they do proves that the mega-city does not work. You don't give a shit about the waterfront, and I don't give a shit about your commute home. We should both support DE-AMALGAMATION.

Main theme of the election was an out of touch council. Giving themselves pay raises and increases taxes in the middle of recession. That clearly showed they did not care for the average person or have no idea how an average person lives. Now people did not really punish the council, however a lot of incumbents did not run and some high profile people have been defeated, so there was change not really a hard shift to the right.

No, see, the main theme of the election, lordmandeep, was misinformation. Because council didn't give themselves a pay raise or increase taxes in the middle of recession.

The big problem on the left was a smug sense of "we know better; just let us govern." Miller's greatest fault will always be his inability to communicate effectively in the times when he NEEDED to do so. He's been making cryptic comments on his twitter about how wrong candidates have been on issues like the budget, sole-sourcing, etc, but he won't come out and SAY IT. The last few years of his reign especially are marked by a failure to communicate the why behind his policy to voters. I think Smitherman by and large suffered from a similar thing - talking about voters or talking for voters but rarely if ever talking TO voters.

But generally agreed that this election reveals an anti-incumbent or anti-establishment trend and not necessarily a move to the right.

You guys are sooo out of touch. The Tamil population came out to vote for Ford. The immigrant population came out to vote for Ford. These groups are the most marginalized by the nickel and dime tax policies of the Miller regime. They are also the ones that absorb the least amount of benefit from the so called 'services' that the NDP have rolled out.

I scrutineered in NDP heartland where Mary Fragenakis Won by a landslide at my pol., Ford got 37 % of the vote, Smitherman 50% and pantalone 12%.

I can't imagine the landslide Ford did in the suburbds.

NDP voters continue to live in a bubble

Last edited:
I think the poll will show that Ford did quite well in several downtown wards, maybe even winning several of them, and took the majority of the immigrant vote.

I think many immigrants feel like they've been consistently pandered to by left-wing governments who love putting their faces on campaign literature but haven't done much to actually help them.

As a visible minority and son of immigrants, I will tell you why Ford was popular with immigrants: Most immigrants don't give a shit about yuppie issues like the environment, public spaces, the waterfront, the arts or anything that might propell Toronto to World-Class status. Immigrants typically have less money, larger families, and less time. Ford's simple and populist message resonated with them, because all they care about is having more money in their pockets to spend on their families. I'm afraid that they don't realize the potential effects of the cuts someone like Ford will make, but since this requires some deep thinking, it's not populist and doesn't come into the picture.

In the end, Ford was a straight family-man who doesn't go to the Opera. This is why he won over immigrants. However, I still don't get how his comments on immigration were completely glossed over.
I thought I read a paper somewhere that outlined a study saying that immigrant families also become progressively more wary of liberal immigration policies, esp. when that immigration is perceived as catering to those who they consider contribute less to the country or who somehow skirt the system.

P.S. I might have guessed the first people to ask about ethnic food carts would be immigrants, not a bunch of bureaucrats.

Back