News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

^ Lol I was just being silly

No way the NDP can carry seats in the suburban areas around Toronto, they have zero traction out here.

the fact many of the left dismissed Ford as a joke and the people who voted for him are idiots, just show how disconnected they have become with many parts of the city.

I think this elitist attitude from many against Ford, and the people who believed his message, energized his support and they came out in epic numbers , while Smitterman support was not very strong at all.

Although I hate to agree with a duplicate user account, in this case it appears the man does speak the truth.

Keep in mind the so-called "downtown elites" only coalesced around Smitherman late in the election. Earlier on they were more interested in Giambrone, Kristen Lucas, John Tory's comeback and various other less-than-relevant items.

I don't think they ever supported Smitherman with much conviction. Which is sad, because he would have been best for the city. I say this because I've supported him ever since the specter of a possible Ford victory came into being, unlike some of you pseudo-literati.

Hard lefties, consider yourselves BLAMED

He got re-elected in 1999. What lesson did he learn?

He lost what little support he had in Toronto as a result of his downloading, the Eglinton Subway killing and amalgamation. Hudak won't make those mistakes, because he'll need seats from Toronto if he wants a real majority. And he knows that.

Ugh what is World Pride going to be like with a mayor who is slightly homophobic?

This would be like a minority winning in Calga... nevermind.

Ironically, I work in academia, so I see this sort of stuff all the time. Let's just say it doesn't get a lot of respect in the real world.

Well, why not? After all, it inherently folds, spindles, and mutilates said "real world" by design. And that's the fun of it--it keeps us all straight;-)

To put it in more personal terms: look at it this way. I've witnessed elements of my own family implode over the past quarter century, in ways that'd put Ford's own family to shame. And given what I've witnessed (and continue to witness at second hand), I think it was better off for it to implode than for us to "put on a face". And my own approach to it all has been something of an "overriding scan" as well--in a way, such sublime familial self-destruction has been my own canvas, or my own template for judgment. But I feel no more insipid "familial" warmth for it; for such stunted, contorted, underdeveloped individuals, it's not worth it. "Unfortunately", it's cancelled out my will to have my own family; but countervailing that, it may highlight how I was never well-suited for such a task, anyway. Maybe some of us are better off as allseeing eyes than as family people--and just because we can't personally handle it, doesn't mean we can't recognize it when it works or doesn't work. I'd gladly see my own crash-test-dummy of a family destroyed on behalf of others.

Once you've existed in a surreal world, the unmediated "real world" feels undernourished.

i don't know if it was mentioned already in this thread but mike harris attended rob ford's victory celebration. this is the man who royally screwed us in the burbs back in the day.

they say most women try anal sex at least twice. first time to see what it's like, second time to remember just how bad it was the first time. citizens, position yourself for the reaming of the century!

Last edited:
An interesting FACT to consider on this joyous and historic night is this: Ford earned more votes than Harper, Layton, Duceppe, Ignatieff, McGuinty, Hudak and Horwath COMBINED!!! :p

Rob Ford has entered the history books as the most popular politician in Canadian history (more people voted DIRECTLY for him than any other politician in Canadian history!)

An interesting FACT to consider on this joyous and historic night is this: Ford earned more votes than Harper, Layton, Duceppe, Ignatieff, McGuinty, Hudak and Horwath COMBINED!!! :p

Those people are MPs and MPPs... kinda works differently.

Apples and Oranges :( interesting point to bring up though.

Those people are MPs and MPPs... kinda works differently.

Apples and Oranges :( interesting point to bring up though.

Yes, but the fact remains ...more votes were cast DIRECTLY for Rob Ford than any other politician in the history of Canada :)

Back